BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Fenrisian Wolves as wargear

Ok, am I just reading into this too deeply?

When an SW IC(Lord or Ragnar) takes wolves as wargear, have they become their own unit and unable to join others until the wolves are dead?

Or are they still an IC that can join another unit, and the wolves are basically just big hairy attacks squigs for a wolf warboss?
    Last edited by VulkansApprentice; 11-04-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Chaplain

I read it as option number 2; the wolves are effectively pieces of wargear that have to stay within 2" of the Wolf Lord. The Lord remains an independent character, able to join and leave units.

Quote Originally Posted by The AKH View Post
    I read it as option number 2; the wolves are effectively pieces of wargear that have to stay within 2" of the Wolf Lord. The Lord remains an independent character, able to join and leave units.
    Agreed, tho I do wonder about things like majority Toughness (probably not an issue) and the wolves given up an extra kill point (which if I'm remembering correctly they actually do ...tho I'd love to be wrong here )

Chaplain

Wolves are T4 so majority toughness isn't an issue unless your Lord is on a Thunderwolf (and alone - if he was with a Thunderwolf Cav unit, the T5 Thunderwolves would be in the majority).
    I would guess that the wolves are not a KP because they are neither a retinue or a separate unit - they are wargear, and essentially part of the Wolf Lord's Killpoint. This is reinforced by the fact that they can never operate on their own; if/when the Wolf Lord dies, his wolves are removed along with him.

Although, in practice, the wolves usually die first.

If they are wargear, wouldn't you able to allocate wounds to them in melee? I'm not arguing, I honestly don't know and was going to post this thread before I saw it already existed ^_^ Isn't there a precedent with Tau taking drones that operated in the same fashion?

Couple of other somewhat related questions:

Arjac is a wolf guard so you spend the points to upgrade a wolf guard model to him, than he joins any other legal unit as a psuedo-sargent. He counts as an upgrade model for that unit just as a normal sargent would, right?

Lukus' ability to have opponents reroll failed rolls to hit...slightly odd. He is an upgrade character so can't be singled out which is why the ability says "specificly allocated". So if th unit takes wounds, I can allocate them to or away from Lukus and any that I do allocate to him must then be rerolled. Am I reading this right?
    Last edited by S0ULDU5T; 11-06-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Chaplain

I think you're right about allocating wounds to wolves - although I think opponents in CC would have to choose to attack either the wolves or the Lord, if they were the only ones in combat.

Arjac can join units in the same way as any other wolf guard - so yes, he's just an upgrade character.

Lukas' rules seem to have been written as if he was an IC - except he's not. The only way (until it's errata'd/FAQ'd) that this ability will come into play is if Lukas' Blood Claw buddies all die.

It makes my head hurt.

Imagine a wolf lord with 2 wolves joins a blood claw unit with lukas the trickster. Who then charge into an existing combat between differently armed thunderwolves and differently armed nob bikerz.

Enjoy that one.
    Gamer • Painter • Designer • Englishman
    http://levitas-master-artificer.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by The AKH View Post
    I think you're right about allocating wounds to wolves - although I think opponents in CC would have to choose to attack either the wolves or the Lord, if they were the only ones in combat.

Arjac can join units in the same way as any other wolf guard - so yes, he's just an upgrade character.

Lukas' rules seem to have been written as if he was an IC - except he's not. The only way (until it's errata'd/FAQ'd) that this ability will come into play is if Lukas' Blood Claw buddies all die.
    I would say that the wolves are part of the Lord's unit (making it the only multi-model IC unit I can think of), and so your opponents would not need to pick between the lord and the wolves, and you would allocate wounds between them.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I would say that the wolves are part of the Lord's unit (making it the only multi-model IC unit I can think of), and so your opponents would not need to pick between the lord and the wolves, and you would allocate wounds between them.
    Argh, two conlicting points of view that are equally viable! This means that only a Star TRek-esque fight to the death must insue! Or a FAQ...but as I said above, wasn't there a precedent of this happening with Tau since their suits can take drones that I believe function in the same way? I checked the FAQ for Tau and didn't see anything but I'm also an idiot sometimes.

The Tau might be precedent. The thing is, the Tau commander entry specifically says "If accompanied by drones, he may still join other units as an independent character." The Space Wolf entry doesn't have a similar explicit rule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast