BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, mstingray you may think that, but there is nothing in the rules that say that! The only thing we have to go off of is that the Chainfist follows all rules for the Chainfist- doubles strength, strikes at I1, and requires a second one to gain an extra attack.

Since a DCCW is a Power Weapon, and not a Power/Chainfist, you neither strike at Initiative or gain an Extra Attack for having 2 CCWs.

Does that suck? Yes
    Is it a poor choice? Yes
    Was it intentional? Probably not
    Do we have to live with it? Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Dingareth View Post
    Well, mstingray you may think that, but there is nothing in the rules that say that! The only thing we have to go off of is that the Chainfist follows all rules for the Chainfist- doubles strength, strikes at I1, and requires a second one to gain an extra attack.

Since a DCCW is a Power Weapon, and not a Power/Chainfist, you neither strike at Initiative or gain an Extra Attack for having 2 CCWs.

Does that suck? Yes
    Is it a poor choice? Yes
    Actually, you would able to choose whether you wanted to use the DCCW or the Chainfist, as you now have multiple Special CCWs, so you would not get the extra attack but you can choose to either go at I4 or have an extra d6 for armor penetration at I1.
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"

True, yes. But all in all, I'd say it's not worth losing the Hammer over.

Chaplain

I'd have to agree with this, by RAW. You still get +1 A, but only strike at I 1. Technically. But just like how I don't use PotMS after using smoke (there was a thread about this not too long ago), I'd be willing to let my opponent hit at I4.
    This is correct. Worth noting, however, is that the initiative issue is often irrelevant.

The Dread's other hand, which you can opt to use in CC per any normal multiple special CCW scenario's rules (i.e. pick one and make all your attacks like that), is still a DCCW str10 no-armor I4 weapon.

For this reason I have never had to even care about the chainfist thing. I would only use it when attacking a vehicle, against which initiative doesn't mean anything.

www.evildice40k.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dingareth View Post

Does that suck? Yes
    Is it a poor choice? Yes
    As someone pointed out above, Dreadnought don't follow the normal CC weapon rules. They don't have to have identical weapons to gain +1 A, as the rule stated that Dreadnoughts gain +1 A for each additional CCW, not for each additional DCCW. There's a difference. Dreadnoughts definitely get the +1 A.

Here's the rule:
    BRB pg73: "If a walker is armed with two or more close combat weapons*, it gains one bonus attack for each additional weapon over the first. If one of its additional weapons is destroyed, one bonus attack is lost."

*emphasis mine

Dreadnoughts unquestionably get the +1 A. The rules very clearly state that they do.

However, there is nothing that overrides the Chainfist Initiative reduction, at least that I know of. However, here's where this gets interesting:

Walker rules don't deal with different CC weapon types. Now, from the rules above, walkers always get +1A if they have more than one CCW of any type, so no matter what you get the bonus attack.

You could, however, argue that the Dreadnought still picks between special weapons the same way infantry do. It doesn't matter for the number of attacks, as mentioned in the rule above, as Dreadnoughts always get the bonus attack for multiple CCWs.

But, by the normal ccw rules, you could argue that you get to pick between the DCCW and the Chainfist. Meaning you always get your full number of attacks (as I've reiterated repeatedly), but can choose to either strike at I4 and Str 10, OR you can strike at I 1, Str 10 and get a bonus D6 on the penetration roll.

How's that for weird implications.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

(Points at GW authors of the rules) "Forgive them Lord, for they no not what they do!" lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Battle-Brother

DarkLink

Thanks for ur quote from the englisch Rulebook, but the german is diferent there.

There it clearly says dreadnaught close combat weapon instead of close combat weapon.

One word difference

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    DarkLink

Thanks for ur quote from the englisch Rulebook, but the german is diferent there.

There it clearly says dreadnaught close combat weapon instead of close combat weapon.

One word difference
    Hmmm. Well, english is the original version... that is kinda funny, though.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

There are more than this one i could quote.
    Sometimes it seems there are some correstions in the translations or the translated wording brings complete other intentiosn to some rules.
    Thats a problem when u have to work with more than one set of rules in different languages cause here are some gamers ordering their rules, dexes only in englisch and other players just buy the german rules while there is no more some timeshift when the dexes or sold.
    (a few years ago it could take a week or longer to get a translated rulesset after the english versions where puplished)
    Second problem the most ordering the rules in english are no native speakers, so there most time wrong translations or indications by them.
    All happend in my experience.

After all i really considering a place for Mr Bat in my armycase for rules arguments.

Battle-Brother

If you come up against a rules lawyer, it only matters if you've swapped out the other DCCW for the hurricane bolter. If you have a DCCW and the Chainfist, you get the bonus attack for having 2 CCWs as mentioned by Bung earlier, and you can choose whether to strike at I4 and only get S+1D6 pen, or I1 and S+2D6 pen.

I'd let you get the I4 and 2D6 pen personally as dreds are HUGE and the chainfist is easier to maneuver than his grabby hand. I mean it's more like a big sword really, must be the equivalent of 2 metres long. I'd say he'd be quicker on the draw with that over a fist any day, if it was real....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12