BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I like using special characters and I like when my opponents use them too. I like the character it adds to the table, almost like seeing a battle out of a book unfolding infront of me.

I really like when SC's are used in a fluffy army. A Farsight Enclave or Belial and his Deathwing deepstriking on the table, or Abbadon leading a hoarde of CSM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    Personally the Doom is the most overpower piece of @;*&%? Of all times. Even worst with broodlords and deathleaper lowering leadership when the doom ds in the middle of you army. What's aggrivating is for 2 turns he blast you with his area effect.

Even if you kill it more than likely the doom has easily made back it's points. What's worst is the aure effect is not a psychic power. If models are deepstriking with the doom than it is pretty much game over. Trygon primes with 2 squads of 20 devil gaunts.
    1 dev squad = dead DoM.

most people complain about SC because they change the game dynamics, forcing people to think differently. As such they are necessary to keep the game fresh and variable otherwise it would stagnate.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

DoM is not that difficult for most armies to deal with if you have a halfway decent list and are a halfway decent player. It's pretty good and certainly annoying, but it's far from overpowered.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    Personally the Doom is the most overpower piece of @;*&%? Of all times. Even worst with broodlords and deathleaper lowering leadership when the doom ds in the middle of you army. What's aggrivating is for 2 turns he blast you with his area effect.

Even if you kill it more than likely the doom has easily made back it's points. What's worst is the aure effect is not a psychic power. If models are deepstriking with the doom than it is pretty much game over. Trygon primes with 2 squads of 20 devil gaunts.
    The DoM is really not as scary as you're making it out to be. Last time I played against Nids, the DoM came down right in the middle of my forces in a spore pod, and my Broadsides insta-jibbed it before it even made it to its first shooting phase. Heavy Rail Rifles and Interceptor.

How'd they get Interceptor?

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    How'd they get Interceptor?
    Early warning override
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Sergeant

I'll use special characters if the games I'm playing warrant it, but usually I don't. I still like them being rare and rarely seen. It makes it more interesting when they come out finally.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal) Satire 6

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    1 dev squad = dead DoM.

most people complain about SC because they change the game dynamics, forcing people to think differently. As such they are necessary to keep the game fresh and variable otherwise it would stagnate.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    DoM is not that difficult for most armies to deal with if you have a halfway decent list and are a halfway decent player. It's pretty good and certainly annoying, but it's far from overpowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by slobulous View Post
    The DoM is really not as scary as you're making it out to be. Last time I played against Nids, the DoM came down right in the middle of my forces in a spore pod, and my Broadsides insta-jibbed it before it even made it to its first shooting phase. Heavy Rail Rifles and Interceptor.
    This is it really, DoM is a threat, but like the drop podded stern guard, they often turn into a one use wonder, and while it may stall your opponents plan. Ultimately, there ability to drop death is minimised to one target.

There is this article here: [url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/04/40k-in-defense-of-space-marine-captains.html[/url]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

As i did most of my playing in 2nd ed, where Special Characters were only used with opponents permission and had minimum points levels where they could be used, Special Characters make me a little uncomfortable!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    This is it really, DoM is a threat, but like the drop podded stern guard, they often turn into a one use wonder, and while it may stall your opponents plan. Ultimately, there ability to drop death is minimised to one target.

There is this article here: [url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/04/40k-in-defense-of-space-marine-captains.html[/url]
    The doom really depends on the player and what he is supporting with it. You have to get pass a multi-wound creature with a 3+ invulnerable.

I played against it several times and against a few armies it's devestating.

Ok let's say it plops in the middle of a tau army. With early warning overide your broadsides with rail rifles have a decent chance of taking out if you hit it with all 3 railguns and it fails 1 out of 3 of the wounds. However since this is not such a perfect world it still have a good chance of dropping and pointing it's middle finger at you.

Once it lands that's where the fun begins. It than use it's aura to fry all those around it. Let's say it hit 5 units and let's assume you're leadership 10 you will have to roll 10 are under 5 times with three dice with average rolling being 9.5. Not only you have to weather that and his pie plate attack. You have to weather the aura again during the start of your shooting phase.

Is it beatable. Yes. Is it a nid auto win. Can it very easily make up it's points back for it's cheap cost. Yes.

Off course you going to focus your fire power in it since it's aura is a 2ft diameter melting away your army. You realy have no choice to do so. While you playing with that model you have to contend with that Trigon you didn't shot at since you was blasting away at the doom. It's very possible that when you shoot at the doom it can easily have 6 or more wounds on it which makes instant killing it a better choice. Which means 4 strength 8 or higher shots at marine BS to kill it on average, could had been 3 wounds on a trigon.

Anyway it's a huge distraction and if say 2 deep striking Trygons, a few gaunts, and 3 zonanthorpes, 2 winged tyrants are breathing down your throat you are focusing on the doom that only dies when it fails it's invulnerable. Meaning that if it's a lucky rolling SoB that can roll 16 times till he finally rolls a one or two. You already wasted a good portion of your fire power trying to kill the thing. At the same token you have someone who goes the doom sounds awsome they play it and get hit with one missile and it dies, that heppened to my old Fateweaver before.

It's a model is the most broken piece of crap in the game. Nothing in Grey Knights is that bad. Necrons are a differant story. Necrons have a lot of broken tools.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast