BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Skyshield & Assaults (No Room in the Inn)

So I've been looking for clarification on how you actually "assault" a Skyshield if there is no room for you to get your model up there. It looks to me (and I hope I'm missing something) like there is no way to assault it per the RAW unless you have room to physically place your model up there if assaulting from the ground.

The only rules I have found about this deal with Ruins and the Skyshield is most definitely NOT ruins. It isn't a building. It isn't battlements. It is "unique" with the top being treated as open terrain and attempts to move onto it (or assault one presumes) rough terrain. In the case of Ruins if there isn't space you get to assume you are in base to base contact, running up stairs (what have you). No such rule or Faq/Errata seems to exist for the Skyshield.

What this would seem to mean per the RAW is that a line of enemy units blocking your forward motion (you dont' get to move through them) will prevent you from assaulting them period. Obviously Jump Troops and the like can get up there if there is room, moving over opposing units to open space during movement to then assault, but short of that I think you are stuck out in the cold. Is there a rule, faq, or errata I'm missing somewhere?
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 05-23-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Occuli Imperator

See: [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?29745-Skyshield-Landing-Pad[/url]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    See: [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?29745-Skyshield-Landing-Pad[/url]
    This doesn't really answer my question though. I have no problem with Jump Troops who get up there on some open, legal spot during movement and then assault. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a unit on the ground below it looking up at a solid line of troops base to base and running along the edge. They can't get up during the assault because they can't move through those troops to get to open space nor is there any open space for the model to be placed.

For "Ruins" this is not an issue because there is a ruling for that in the Ruins section. For Buildings it isn't an issue either as you either can't assault the people in them, or you are assaulting them from an attached building and everyone is considered involved. Battlements also have their own specific rules.

The Skypad does not. I just read all the thread you sent me to and it doesn't address what I'm talking about I don't think.

Chapter-Master

closest models die first, right? SOOooooo, blast them and make room.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Occuli Imperator

I see what you mean, sorry I thought it was discussed with that section.

Yeah the rules have situations for assaulting across two levels on ruins, and the sky sheild isn't a ruin. It isn't a "building" either so you can't use those rules.

Some people try and use the "wobbly model syndrome" rule, that lets you put your model somewhere more secure than where it should be, but I think that is taking it too far.

If you are able to get only one model in B2B, taking your dangerous terrain test to climb up, then you could force the defenders to react and pull them off the terrain in order to get B2B.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I think you are correct that, strictly speaking, you can make it impossible for foot troops to assault onto a Skyshield simply by standing shoulder to shoulder.

Personally, I think the Skyshield should be played as it was in Planetstrike, with the addition of jumping off the edge and ruin-style base-to-base rules at least via the access points. But I think you have correctly identified a consequence of the rules as written.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    So I've been looking for clarification on how you actually "assault" a Skyshield if there is no room for you to get your model up there. It looks to me (and I hope I'm missing something) like there is no way to assault it per the RAW unless you have room to physically place your model up there if assaulting from the ground.
    The way we play it is that to assault you need to be in B2b with the legs, where the ladders are. If there is an enemy model above you in B2B with the hatch, then you are considered B2B with it. So 3 guys on the ground in base contact with the leg ladder are in B2B with however many enemy are clustered around the top hatch. Guys within 2" of the guys in B2B with the ladders or hatches are "engaged".

Difficult terrain of course.

I could totally see people argue wobbly model syndrome in this case. In fact - I am always amazed at how people can argue that guys are standing on top of the wall or on a space less than a quarter the size of their base or whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    The way we play it is that to assault you need to be in B2b with the legs, where the ladders are. If there is an enemy model above you in B2B with the hatch, then you are considered B2B with it. So 3 guys on the ground in base contact with the leg ladder are in B2B with however many enemy are clustered around the top hatch. Guys within 2" of the guys in B2B with the ladders or hatches are "engaged".

Difficult terrain of course.
    This is my preferred treatment as well.

First-Captain

In other words block off the stairs and you good. I am thinking of using one with infiltrated kroot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast