BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default DeamonHunters and Imperial Guard come together in an epic 2000 pt list!

UPDATED

Alright, after much review and help from this forum I have come up with a new army list. I am a fan of highly mobile, elite lists. I feel this army list reflects that the best!

Please review this, don't be afraid to be mean. I want to you to exploit EVERY weakness you see in my list.

Fluff/theme

I like to try to come up with a background theme for my army. I will probably be using the Death Korps models for the Infantry squads.

4th war for Armageddon.

After losing Ghazghkull in a chase with the black templar, Yarrick returns to Armageddon (silly umes! Dey was not as fast as da Ghazghjull!). He arrives in a sea of chaos. It seems that all of the blood shed on the planet caught the attention of the demon gods and they want their share. An inquisitor and a force of grey knights descends on the planet. The inquisitor heard how Yarrick defended the planet so brilliantly before and will need someone with his kind of knowledge.

The inquisitor has put a force of the most elite soldiers Armageddon has to offer. They are the plants only hope.

New list

HQ

Yarrick

(attached to grey knight squad)

Elites

Marbo

Inquisitor w/ psychic hood
    x2 mystic
    x2hierophant
    Multimelta servitor

Fast attack

x 2 Vendetta

Troops

Grey Knight Squad
    Justicar with frag grenades melta bombs and targeter
    Grey knight with incinerator
    Grey knights x 6

Grey Knight Squad
    Justicar with frag grenades melta bombs and targeter
    Grey knight with incinerator
    Grey knights x 6

Veteran Squad
    Melta x 3
    Chimera

Veteran Squad
    Melta x 3
    Chimera

Veteran Squad
    Melta x 3
    Chimera

Veteran squad
    Sergeant Harker
    Sniper veterans x 3
    Missile Launcher
    Chimera

Heavy
    Leman Russ /w lascannon
    Leman Russ /w lascannon
    Leman Russ /w lascannon

66 bodies
    4 chimeras
    3 leman russ tanks
    2 vendettas

I think this is a substantial improvement over my old list. I buffed up the GK squads and attached Yarrick to one of them. These units are going to be absolutely brutal.

I got rid of the demo charges on the Melta squads.

Added Harker to the vet squad that will camp on my home objective. He helps the squad IMMENSELY.

By taking out upgrades I didnt need and switch out some units, I believe I have an effective blend of elements.

Please compare to my old list, which is as follows.

HQ

"Iron Hand" Straken

Melta x 4

Elite

Inquisitor with Psychic hood
    x 2 Mystic
    x 2 Heriophant

Guardsman Marbo

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta

Vendetta

Troops

Grey Knight Justicar with melta bombs and frag grenades
    GK with incinerator
    x 4 Grey Knights

Grey Knight Justicar with melta bombs and frag grenades
    GK with incinerator
    x 4 Grey Knights

Imperial Guard Veteran Squad in a Chimera ( ML, HB)
    x 3 melta
    "Demolitions" Upgrade

Imperial Guard Veteran Squad in a Chimera ( ML, HB )
    x 3 melta
    "Demolitions" Upgrade

Imperial Guard Veteran Squad in a Chimera ( ML, HB )
    x 3 melta
    "Demolitions" Upgrade

Imperial Guard Veteran With A Chimera ( ML , HB )
    x 3 Snipers
    Rocket Launcher

Heavy Support

Leman russ

Leman russ

Leman russ

1999 Total Points

Tactics

The Inquisitor gets the Sniper Squads Chimera. The sniper squad camps on my home objective.

The Inquisitor and the demolishers try to stick together. Anything that deep strikes near me gets to deal 2 demolisher tanks. OWCH!

Marbo is thrown in for some fun : )

The HQ and the 2 squads of grey knights either go into the vendettas and outflank or scout ahead. The Vendettas pop transports and the Grey knights deal with whats inside. Straken gives the grey knights STR 7 and I 5.

Medusa hangs out and does what it does.
    Last edited by Polaris; 11-18-2009 at 03:48 PM.

1. Master of Ordnance does not belong in that command squad. It will be embarked or moving too much for him to be of any use. Swap him out for a Master of the Fleet.

2. I don't know why you are implying DH codex rhinos are terrible - strictly according to the codex, elite inquisitors cannot take transports. However - if you use the Imperial Armor 2 re-write, you can take 35pt Rhinos for any inquisitor. Download it from Forgeworld.

3. You've got plenty of melta. Inquisitors shouldn't get close to the enemy - they die. Get two heavy bolter servitors and a psycannon and park the squad in cover.

4. That Executioner costs 280pts. Drop Pask.

5. You do realize that if you take bastion breacher shells, they replace the normal blast, right? You don't get to choose which to use. It's usually not worth the trade - S10 ordnance cracks armor open easy enough without any help.

6. 40 guys in a 2000pt list? Good luck against Orks, IG, Tyranids etc.

Veteran-Sergeant

2. I don't know why you are implying DH codex rhinos are terrible - strictly according to the codex, elite inquisitors cannot take transports. However - if you use the Imperial Armor 2 re-write, you can take 35pt Rhinos for any inquisitor.
    Ummmm... or just use Codex: Demonhunters, where it says any Inquisitor with a retinue may take a transport. One of many transports, in fact.

The Rhinos are overpriced compared to most of the other books, yes. But the potential for a seven Land Raider army is kind of cool...
    Exitus Acta Probat
    http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/

Inquisitors can take Valkyries as transports from Forgeworld. That would be fun with your list. But as was said, they suck unless they sit and shoot with psy and 2 heavy bolters. My current fav based strictly on looks is the Ordo Mallus Razorback. He can take that and it gives him an extra psycannon twin-linked, that makes a shooty inquisitor squad a serious issue.

So the Vendettas can deep strike GKs? I need to do some morning reading. This sounds very interesting. Do they scatter at all if it moves normally? Trying to see the benefit beside the cool factor.

You do realize that if you take bastion breacher shells, they replace the normal blast, right? You don't get to choose which to use. It's usually not worth the trade - S10 ordnance cracks armor open easy enough without any help.

Can you show me in the codex where it says I cant take both? I am new to IG so I might have missed that.

40 guys in a 2000pt list? Good luck against Orks, IG, Tyranids etc.
    4 plasma cannon small blast templates, 2 large blast templates, 2 incinerators, 6 plama guns, 6 melta guns, 1 multi-melta, 24 storm bolter rounds, 6 twin linked lascannons, and a minimum of 24 lasgun rounds per turn? Hoard!?! Whats hoard? : )
    Last edited by Polaris; 11-06-2009 at 10:05 AM.

So the Vendettas can deep strike GKs? I need to do some morning reading. This sounds very interesting. Do they scatter at all if it moves normally? Trying to see the benefit beside the cool factor.
    You can, with all the same DS rules.

Vendettas can also " Scout " which gives them 1 free movement turn at the start of the game.

Vendettas can also " Outflank".

The options are endless : )

Updated!

I dropped the Executioner Leman Russ tank and 2 medusas. With the extra points I bought

2 demolisher tanks with plasma side sponsons

and additional infantry squad.

Brother-Captain

Split the Demos, ditch plasma.

Chimeras should be turret multi-laser and hull flamer. Meltas > plasma.

GKTs > GKs.

Straken + GKs = fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Can you show me in the codex where it says I cant take both? I am new to IG so I might have missed that.
    p. 53 "A Medusa armed with bastion-breacher shells always fires using the following profile:"

And Chumbalaya is right, split the demolishers. It will increase their durability and allow them to fire at separate targets.
    Last edited by Sam; 11-06-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    p. 53 "A Medusa armed with bastion-breacher shells always fires using the following profile:"

And Chumbalaya is right, split the demolishers. It will increase their durability and allow them to fire at separate targets.

Thanks for that clarification. Updated the list. Any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast