BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Battle Damage on Marine Figures??

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I always show my Army has been fighting hard.

9 17.65%
  • Well some of my guys have had a hard time

22 43.14%
  • No MY Marines never get hit!

0 0%
  • NO! my guys always repair & re polish before a Battle

24 47.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Question "Battle Damage" on Space Marine Models?

O.K. folks, i was thinking yesterday evening about modeling "battle damage" on to my Black Templar Marine figures. Then I remembered all the fluff from many BL novels, particularly the Heresy series, of the time spent by many characters polishing their Armour between battles & even that they had servitors to ensure immaculate gear for their next battle.

Whats the consensus of the Forumn? Do you put scratches, dents, chips, small bullet craters etc on your Marine figures or not??

I always paint mud, scratches etc on Vehicle models & even have small holes done with a needle point soldering iron on one of my Sister's Exorcists.

Would like your thoughts!
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

Brother-Captain

I prefer to paint my marines clean and undamaged, but I've seen some beautifully done battle damage, too.

It's pretty fluffy either way. You can say that the battle damage occurred in the middle of the current battle, or that before the fight started all of the armor was polished and pristine.

Chapter-Master

All my models look like they went through hell... Because they quite literally do.

My models don't represent the time spend between battles... My models represent the current campaign theya re fighting in.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

Most of my marines look clean and unscathed, but my tanks and dreadnoughts usually acquire battle damage.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

I gouge bullet holes, claw marks, etc. I also paint the edges of the armour chipped and worn and the feet dusty.

I prefer the 'We're on Campaign' look.

Chapter-Master

If by battle damage you mean chipped paint, then I've got plenty. Stupid metal models.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

My guys are all well repaired between battles but that's mainly because I'm just getting comfortable painting. In the future I'll probably add battle damage, maybe starting with vehicles.

Chaplain

I add the occasional dent or gouge to my Marines' armour when I'm assembling them. I'll also often add some paint chipping/mud when I paint them. I think it comes down to personal preference; whether you like the "on campaign" look, or the "fresh out the fortress-monastery" look.

I'm guessing, though, even if their armour was scrubbed, repaired, and anointed between every battle, it might start to acquire some visible signs of repair after a while.

I have to admit Dark Angels army is pretty clean but I've started an Imperial Guard army that is going to feature some new weathering techniques that I have learned recently. It will act as an experiment in showing distressed and battered equipment which is something that I haven’t tried before with my gaming miniatures. I used the techniques on my scale models with great success but I’ve felt that it might not hold up to all of the handling that a tabletop mini gets.
    Blog: http://pocketfullofplasma.blogspot.com/
    Meetup Site: http://www.meetup.com/Warhammer-Longmont/

Librarian

With a more "realistic" army like the Imperial Guard or with the Orks overall look and appeal I'd say weathering fits in just fine, but with Marines, Tau, Eldar their bright colors and smooth lines tend to do better without IMOP. Too much just makes armor look dingy, and even sometimes too involved. Bright and simple - besides, mud upsets the machine spirit of the power armor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast