BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Dorothy, by order of the High Lords of Terra, you are to be ...

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cleansed!!

9 56.25%
  • Inquisitrix Dorothy

4 25.00%
  • Canoness Dorothy

1 6.25%
  • Servitor Dorothy

2 12.50%
    Brother-Captain

Default A question of Kansas and the Inquisition

You're probably familiar with the scene. Young girl is in her house. Suddenly the house with the young girl and her dog are swept away in the eye of some freakish horrible storm. She is whisked off to some fantastical new land, emerging from the somehow miraculously undamaged home, to find the pulped remains of some nasty, evil witch at her doorstep.

Except this isn’t Oz. This is the Imperium.

The question is, would the young lady find herself (along with her house and her little dog too) immediately doused in promethium and cleansed? Would she be welcomed into the Ordo Hereticus, ultimately to become “Inquisitrix Dorothy?” Would she be snatched up by the Adepta Sororitas as a potential living saint? Or, would she find herself on the battlefield as a gun servitor?
    Last edited by Necron2.0; 05-26-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Brother-Sergeant

I vote the inquisition due to the fact that she forms a group with some of the local faithful and they overthrow the corrupt governor-psyker. Someone could probably make this analogy work better, but I'm tired.
    Why is it the bad guys are always more interesting?

Definitely cleansed.

The Imperium isn't exactly the most welcoming of societies to outsiders from "the warp".

"Tornado? Oh I don't think so. Look the witch who summoned her has met her doom! She must be a Daemon ! BURN IT !"

Librarian

either cleansed with the purity of flame, or she landed in commoragh and is now decorating the neck of some weird space elf who likes to give himself paper cuts in-between his digits.

Brother-Captain

I could see a scenario for each outcome, actually. Obviously cleansing is the most obvious (and most boring) option. As for her arrival by warp storm as a sign of her evil ... well all the primarchs were carried across the galaxy by effectively the same means, and nobody considers them intrinsically evil for that.

Here's one scenario I could see: Dorothy arrives on some planet of the Imperium, just in time to pulp the leader of some notorious Chaos cultists in the midst of their attack on loyalist troops. The event breaks the momentum of the attack and the loyalists easily turn certain defeat into a crushing victory. Dorothy emerges from the house - young, vibrant, angelic and spotless.

She is immediately seized and brought before the Commissar, who has her examined by Glenda the Sanctioned Psyker. Glenda confirms that Dorothy is a powerful latent Psyker (note Dorothy's ability with certain psychic footwear), but one whose potential is completely untapped. This could be the reason both why the Ruinous Powers targeted her, and why she could pass through the Immaterium completely unscathed - she was naturally shielded. In addition, she is completely without blemish or mutation of any kind, and is in fact purer than pretty much any other human Glenda has ever examined.

The Commissar doesn't know what to make of this, but decides to turn the girl over to the Black Fleet instead of simply executing her on the spot. All through this, Dorothy keeps speaking gibberish about being from some hive world called "Kansas" that nobody has ever heard of, and how she desperately wants to go back. While with the fleet, an archivist discovers that "Kansas" is a reference to a location on Terra that only existed at a time prior to the Stellar Exodus. For his efforts, the archivist is immediately executed, of course, but the discovery sparks concerns that rise to the highest echelons of the Ordo Hereticus. Given her purity, her psychic ability and her knowledge of ancient Terra, there is the possibility that Dorothy is of the lineage of the Emperor. Indeed, her origins on ancient Terra could explain her heresy at not acknowledging the divinity of the Emperor - she came from a time before the Emperor had revealed himself. In fact, given the nature of her arrival, she could have very likely even been a gift of the Emperor, who snatched her away from the Ruinous Powers to deposit her where he wanted and when.

Given all of this, it is decided that Dorothy should not be slain. Instead, she is watch (CLOSELY). She is taught the love and fear of the Emperor (which, being young and impressionable, she is broken to fairly quickly), and put on a path that could lead to her destiny as either an Inquisitrix or a Canoness.
    Last edited by Necron2.0; 05-27-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Librarian

as long as they purge her evil familiar and turn its skull into a recon servo skull (the eyes of toto), imagine the retinue for inquisitorix Dorothea daughter of Kansas...........

a battle servitor with all but the heart 'upgraded' by the mechanicus, with a big axe..... but sadly gets little lubrication.
    a flagellant with his face sewn up with only slits for eyes and mouth, he was once a great scholar, but his yearning for greater knowledge led him to open a few wrong books and now is in repentia as a flagellant.
    a grynx, upgraded my the archeo biologis with a lobo chip which makes its timid nature non existent, once it is in battle it will not back down.
    and finally the eyes of toto, the once evil familiar of the once ignorant Dorothea, purged with prometheum and fitted with optics which feed not only Dorothea but also the inquisition so they can keep watch.

Ok, John Blanche needs to make that happen!

Hell, I would love to see some of you absurdly creative and skilled buggers do it.

Brother-Captain

I'm thinking about it. Don't know how absurdly skilled I am, but I'm thinking about it.

If I were to draw it, though, Dorothy's retinue would be slightly different:

1. Tin Man = Gun Servitor
    2. Scare Crow = Hooded Ogryn (although I'm liking the flagellant idea)
    3. Cowardly Lion = Disgraced I-Guardsman (Formerly of "The Lions of _______")
    Last edited by Necron2.0; 05-28-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Librarian

oohh i like the disgraced guardsman idea, as the grynx is more eldar an pet than human, (though the guy from 'legion' did have similar) and the way necron 2.0 put it i saw dorothy as an ordo hereticus rather than xenos.

im sure there are some great writers in the community who could take the mantle..... i have heard a certain mr Dembski-Bowden frequents forums such as these.... is it warseer or dakka he has an open account? so you never know..... watch black library come out with a Halloween special