BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Fire Dragons vs Traditional Wraithguard

Hi folks,
    Like a good little Eldar veteran, I've been slobbering over the rumours like everyone else; and while I'm very excited for the codex, based on the rumoured stats I'm struggling to see the value in the traditional 5-Wraithguard unit in a Wave Serpent.

Currently, while Fire Dragons have more punch with their Fusion Guns, there is a significant difference between them and Wraithguard is that the 5 man Fire Dragons will easily be cut down, while the Wraithguard have the resilience to require the opponent to divert some serious firepower their way.

Now lets look at the Rumours. Fire Dragons have gotten a buff to a 3+ armour, and Wraithguard have had a change in the Wraithcannon to Str. 8 (plus no Seer babysitting needed). So this means that now the standard Wraithguard with the Wraithcannon have only strength and toughness advantage over the Fire Dragons, and you're paying 10pts more per model for this privilage!

So my question is, based on the rumours we've heard so far - is there any reason we know of for taking a 5 man Wraithcannon toting squad in a Wave Serpent over 5 Fire Dragons?

Chapter-Master

Well without the codex its really hard to say anything

Wraithguard will survive longer, full stop. Thry have better offensive punch in CC. Higher Ld and possibly fearless. Thry can be scoring.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

Without knowing the full range of options or impact of FOC, I'd say one benefit of Wraithguard/blades will be that they can be scoring at 5-man units (vs the slow footslogging, sub 400 point sink, although I ran them anyway...). I can imagine fielding 4 different wraithguard/blade units and sending them to various objectives (hopefully transports get cheaper too), while my support units accompany them or backup from a far with ranged weapons.

Well see soon...

I thought the Wraithguards / blades would be bulky..

First-Captain

The abilty to take 5 scoring wraithguard again as troops would be solid. It worked really well in 4th and 3rd until the Eldar nerf. However the serpent is not as good as it was in those editions, so it remains to be seen how reliable such a tactic now will be.

However I would take wraithguard over firedragons due to scoring. I have to look at point cost comparison though before I can make a decision.

Chapter-Master

I can see a meched up 5 wraithguard unit replacing one ounit of fire dragons for durable scoring.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Well without the codex its really hard to say anything.
    Amen.

this is why I hate the pre-order period. People guessing at what they want, rather then haveing any real idea about what they SHOULD be buying. I understand that GW is banking on the "NEW SHINNIES!"effect, but I am not interested in getting a new toy, only to find out that it's of no real use.

All I have on pre-order is the codex. In retrospect, perhaps I should have gotten the psychic cards too. but that's it. The benefit-cost/opportunity-cost analysis will take time, but if I have a general idea of things, it will help me decide weather I want to sink C$140 into the new monster, or if that's just NOT worth my effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron.roboto View Post
    Hi folks,
    Currently, while Fire Dragons have more punch with their Fusion Guns, there is a significant difference between them and Wraithguard is that the 5 man Fire Dragons will easily be cut down, while the Wraithguard have the resilience to require the opponent to divert some serious firepower their way.

Now lets look at the Rumours. Fire Dragons have gotten a buff to a 3+ armour, and Wraithguard have had a change in the Wraithcannon to Str. 8 (plus no Seer babysitting needed). So this means that now the standard Wraithguard with the Wraithcannon have only strength and toughness advantage over the Fire Dragons, and you're paying 10pts more per model for this privilage!

So my question is, based on the rumours we've heard so far - is there any reason we know of for taking a 5 man Wraithcannon toting squad in a Wave Serpent over 5 Fire Dragons?
    For some reason you sound like the comparison between 5-dragon and 5-wraith squads has shifted in favour of the dragons. Imho, that's just not the case. In the old 'dex, the points difference between a dragon and a WG was 19, now it's 10. Also, even small squads of wraiths (supposedly) can be made scoring. Thus, even if dragons' armour save went up and wraithcannon power went somewhat down, the balance between dragons and wraiths should be considered more or less the same.

But in any case, instead of thinking of what should be that 5-elf suicide tank-busting squad, you should first of all think of whether you need such squad at all. And that can only be known once you see the whole army. So, unfortunately, in order to properly answer this question, we still have to wait for the actual codex.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingOne View Post
    For some reason you sound like the comparison between 5-dragon and 5-wraith squads has shifted in favour of the dragons. Imho, that's just not the case. In the old 'dex, the points difference between a dragon and a WG was 19, now it's 10. Also, even small squads of wraiths (supposedly) can be made scoring. Thus, even if dragons' armour save went up and wraithcannon power went somewhat down, the balance between dragons and wraiths should be considered more or less the same.

But in any case, instead of thinking of what should be that 5-elf suicide tank-busting squad, you should first of all think of whether you need such squad at all. And that can only be known once you see the whole army. So, unfortunately, in order to properly answer this question, we still have to wait for the actual codex.

Thinking about it. Will Fie Dragons be able to score again. Would be nice to make them troops agains.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast