BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Using Redirecter Units

So, I'm still fairly green when it comes to Fantasy, and I'm wondering about the exact application for redirecting units. I understand the general idea of trying to control where and how your enemy assaults, and trying to maneuver your opponent into opening a flank or what have you, but I'm curious how, on a tactical level, you accomplish that with units like Ellyrion Reavers or Eagles? Is it just a matter of getting in the way and fleeing from the charge? Assaulting a flank and hoping they reform to face you?

Traditional redirecting is moving a unit to where the opponent must choose between charging the redirect unit or maneuvering around it. Usually the redirect unit will be far enough away from other friendly units so the charging unit can't redirect to a new charge target and also angled in such a way to cause the enemy unit to expose a flank or move away from the main battle (and forcing them to reform if they want to get back into the action)

Traditionally the unit flees from charges but, it is not always necessary. Some armies simply can't flee, other armies can flee but have lousy leadership and usually don't want to do that (since they probably wouldn't reform).
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Sometimes you'll want to take those charges with your redirector, as said it depends on the circumstances. You can also set up double flees - what this means is double chaffing a unit and then fleeing the first charge and then the redirect. This works well if your opponent tends to play deasthstars but can be difficult to set up.

Mobius Primal has an excellent video on chaff and redirection on his Youtube channel which I highly recommend to you.

Cheers