BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

-Titanicus
    -Cain series
    -Deathword

Space Marine is a close fourth - fair bit of rubbish but some great stuff inbetween.

Veteran-Sergeant

Flight of the Einsenstein
    Galaxy in Flames
    Space Wolf

The first one got me back on the tables afet 2 or 3 years off.

Abbess Sanctorum

In no particular order...

Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium
    Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (... what?)
    Death or Glory
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (... what?)
    yeah, that too. One of the under rated background books that's really worth a look
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Battle-Brother

Keeps on waht u want to read.

I prefer the Dark Heresy Books from Sandy Mitchell (Scourge the Heretic and Innocence profes Nothing)
    They are really well written and focus an a group of inquisition acolythes.

Salamanders as start of the Tomb of Fire Trilogy focusing on the Salamanders chapter (always my first SM love). Not focused on Bolter action but on a secret and interaction of SM in their chapter not only kill, kill slash, slash.

The Horus Heresy Books, well written and deep with background of the 40kverse.

For Chaos i would recommend Deamonworld for thos interested in Chaos interaction.

I would not recommend the Books with Soul Drinkers, Ultramarines and Space Wolves.
    FOr fans ok but if u want some serious books dont read them, in my opinoin they are neither well written nor have a good story.
    Dont want to offend someone, but they suck for my taste.
    30+ sites of a book decribing how Brother Santa slashinf 100 Orks decribing into detail how the blood splurts isnt interesting for me. This paper could have been used for better printworks, like a new Dark Eldar Codex

Double Eagle
    Titanicus
    Space wolf (Really like the entire series.)

Librarian

There were a few books that I think are out of print now, but Maelstorm - a collection of short stories was one of my favorites when I was just getting into 40k. The whole Gaunt's Ghosts series is worthwhile but I'm sure everyone by now has heard that. The new Horus Heresy books have caught my eye lately...

Veteran-Sergeant

have to be a snob on this one.

Book number 1 must be the Inquisitor collection by Ian Watson (including halequin and chaos Child)
    (Scourge the Heretic is a pale imitation of this). (Most uk libruaries stock this).

Get hold of Space Marine by Ian Watson if you can.

Deathwing - the one with two heads talking taking out a genestealer covern.

---------
    The early stuff really sets the mould - you see themes repeated in the later works. It's like the literature equivalent of John Blanche - it helped define the 40k universe and the toen of the gothic Imperium. (the assassin is tre sexy too).

Having said that, I buy everything 40k written by Abnett. His ghosts books are great Bernard Cornwell esq action with real characters and are a beleivable glimpse of the 41st miilennium- but they do not give you much depth or background to the fluff. His Eisenhorn books gripped me.They follow the Ian Watson pattern and are next on my list for recommendation (Ravenor is good but an after echo in truth). If you are serious about 40k and you collect Chaos or Imperia armies, there is no excuse for reading the Horus Heresy series - it is the essential fluff- and now cannon. Legion Rocked.

Don't touch the Blood angel stuff. If you are tempted by the Ultra marine novels, read storm of Iron first - that is a great stand alone book.

Eye of Terror
    IA Anphelion Project
    Ciaphas Cain Books

I would like to add as a note that the introduction story in Ciaphas Cain Omnibus was very good, as well as a short stor about some old war veterans in Eisenhorn Omnibus

If you are short on time read Space Hulk

Oh by the way I heard that next Gotrek & Felix book is going to be names primarchslayer

Quote Originally Posted by Cryl View Post
    yeah, that too. One of the under rated background books that's really worth a look
    Agreed. A very clever idea. Comic gold! LOL
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast