BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Armored Battle Company - 2000pts

I love me some tanks and am concidering fielding this list. I play more fun games than competative. I will be painting/re-painting all the vehicles with Tamiya Panzer Grey and going for a German tank Division look/feel..

HQ:
    Command Tank - Vanquisher Cannon with co-axial stubber. Beast hunter shells and Artificer Hull (4 HPs)

Elite:
    Commissar Tank - Vanquisher Cannon with co-axial stubber and Beast Hunter shells

Troops:
    Armored fist squad with grenage launcher and Auto cannon riding in an Auto cannon armed Chimera

Armored fist squad with grenage launcher and Auto cannon riding in an Auto cannon armed Chimera

Tank Squadron of two bare bones Lemun Russ Battle Tanks

Tank Squadron of two bare bones Lemun Russ Battle Tanks

Lemun Russ Executioner

Thunderer with Anti-grenade mesh

Fast Attack:
    Vulture with Punisher cannons and an Armored cockpit

Heavy:
    Medusa with Enclosed crew compartment

Roughly about 2000 points with a few pintle heavy stubbers thrown in.

Tactics:
    Command tank will stay near the LRBT squads to issue orders. The Commissar tank will stay near the Armored fist squads to boost morale. Protecting the Armored fist squads will be the key to most battles as they are my only scoring units. They will stay in cover most of the time blasting away with thier Auto cannons. The Vulture is there because I love the model (It is a pure gun ship and the punisher cannons are going to ruin somebodies day).

Either people are bored with IG tanks or it's the perfect list (just kidding)..

I think to start off with, I'm just going to start with the Command Tank, one 2 tank unit of LRBTs, the Thunderer, The Vulture, and the Medusa as an allied detachment for a Dark Angel Greenwing list.

That would be easier on my wallet AND would give me better scoring units that squishy guardsmen in Chimera's....

Chapter-Master

looks like a good list to me. I have been using IA1 for quite few years now, lots of fun. don't get too casual about your tanks though, it is actually a very brittle army to use. I would consider either another vulture/punisher combo, or a straight punisher tank. something with a high volume of shots is great for getting rid of things like storm shield terminators and monstrous creatures where the templates and single shot weapons can only do the one wound.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

So, would you suggest replacing the Thunderer with a Leman Russ Punisher with a hull mounted HB and HB sponsons? That would give me a lot of shots coming at anything that gets close. I could easily move around the points to allow that in... and save me the $$$ of buying a Thunderer from FW.

Along those lines, I had considered giving the Armored Fist squads a HB and giving their Chimera's a turret HB and hull HB. They could then put out some serious firepower at 36 inches. That would also save me points and $$ from buying FW turrets.

Chapter-Master

I like the auto cannon chimera personally, partly because they just look awesome. I made my own with a guard autocannon from the heavy weapon team rather than use a forge world one. just out of curiosity why the thunderer over a demolisher? cheaper? I am a big fan of the destroyer tank hunter personally, fairly reliable for taking wounds and hull points. I don't actually have the new IA1 though, waiting for my tax rebate, so I can't give too specific details. Personally I never leave home without a couple of punishers, they are a good twenty points too much, but they look great, opponents hate anything that rolls twenty dice, and they can kill most things. I had a game using two punishers, two vulture punishers, and an avenger at 1500pts, and just gatling-ed the entire enemy force to death in three turns.

I liked the Thunderer model, plus it's cheaper. I will definitely be adding a Punisher to my list.

I haven't made my mind up yet on the Armored Fist squads, as they will be the last thing I put together. I'm going to start with an Allied Detachment for my Dark Angels army and then go from there.

Thank you very much for the input. I appreciate it!

Chapter-Master

yeah, armoured fist squads used to be essential to form that interception line, get the volume of shots etc. but since 5th edition came out I often find there is a vehicle that can do the job instead. a space marine commander with artificer armour, jump pack, and melta bombs on a 4x4 board once ruined by day because I had no infantry to hold him up, but an armoured sentinel or two can hold him up, and characters like him.

my pleasure, happy to help.