BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default WFB vs. 40k Culture

I go to 40k tourneys fairly regularly and usually perform slightly better than average (maybe 6-7 on a scale of 10). Last weekend I went to my first fantasy tournament in about three years. I figured I would get beaten but went because I wanted to support a new store in town.

Wow. Did I get schooled (maybe 2-3 on a scale of 1-10). There were decidedly fewer players but damn, were they good! I got beaten so badly I could not see the dice. I felt abused by the end of it. My son had a similar experience and we were trying to figure this out. The players seemed to revel in ultra-powerful lists rather than be slightly embarrassed by them (or at least pretend to be embarrassed by them which is the 40k norm around here).

Is there a different culture in WFB than 40k? Are WFB players more aggressive, or am I just suckier since I don't play as much? I used to think Fantasy was more laid back but now I'm not so sure. Is it possible that since there are less Fantasy players around, those who do continue to play the game represent the survival of the fittest? They seem to have honed their games to the razor's edge and suffer no fools gladly.

Like anything else, it depends on the local area. At my FLGS we are a mixed bag of people taking highly competitive lists and those taking fun and fluffy lists. Regardless, most of the players are pretty forgiving even during a tournament setting.

I'd say your tournament experience is largely due to the different between 40k and Fantasy. 40k is far more forgiving of small mistake whereas Fantasy is definitely not. Move a unit in the wrong place and you may find that you blocked movement of your own units by preventing wheels, charges, etc. Even knowing where to place models, something relatively small in the grand scheme of things for either game, can really be a big difference and have a huge impact on the game.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

I think Chronowraith has it here.

It's a much, much trickier game to play. A single flank left exposed can genuinely cost you an otherwise certain win. And a major difference I've always found v 40k and many other games are your restricted arcs of sight and charge. The amount of times I've been on a 40k binge, gone back to Fantasy and completely forgotten to point my big expensive Dark Elf Dragon and general at the enemy, I lose count.

I don't see so much powergaming round my neck of the woods, at least not list wise. But once the game is afoot, the gloves are off, and it's bare knuckle all the way. Personally, I put it down to the greater need for wider strategy in Fantasy. When it comes together, and you simply crush your opponents line, it's immensely satisfying!

And onto the bright side....I tend to find Fantasy players a bit more mature than 40k ones (this applies to all ages), and thus far more willing to discuss the game after and give you pointers. As I mentioned, that single exposed flank? In the interests of getting better games and grander challenges under my belt, I'll coach you until you can beat me!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

Well, thanks for your thoughts. That all sounds reasonable.

Your is welcome!

But definitely, definitely persevere!

WD used to quite excellent articles about refused flanks, oblique lines etc, and I'm sure the same exist online. Well worth looking into, even if it is for a historical game. The rules will be different, but with fighting blocks the prinicples are the same.

As for powerful lists? The differences in 'competitiveness' in Fantasy are far more subjective than in 40k. A well led army will typically overcome pretty much any foe, regardless of how beardy the opposition. It's really quite difficult for a poorer general to win, dice betrayal not withstanding!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

So, I shouldn't feel bad about dropping the 10X10 block of Skaven Slaves on people?

Hell no. They die eventually, and don't put up much of a fight....

If your opponent can't figure out the weakpoint in that entire plan is they need their General and BSB to still be alive, well that's their problem entirely. Not mine.

Plus, that is the entire point in Skaven slaves. They are there to hold up the enemy, giving you the time to redress your line or otherwise extract yourself from trouble. Yes, it can be annoying for your opponent to get tarpitted, but tough. Try to learn how to avoid them, or at the very least ensure you can whittle them down dead quickly.

Concentrate your ranged attacks on them to strip off those ranks early on. Cheap as they are, there are few Skaven units worth that much more model for model, so it's not wasted. Hit it as hard as you can if you must charge. Yet to see the unit of Skaven Slaves that can hold to 18 Ironguts for instance. All those impact hits, stomps and GW attacks soon put paid to ranks. Warlord and BSB lurking up the back of the board? Say hello to Mr Gorger...he'd like a word.... As do his mates.

I really do tire of hearing people say 'so I charged and got tar pitted'....when they've charged a unit there to tarpit them. What did they expect?
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 05-30-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Brother-Captain

Then the last vestige of guilt about the henchmen/ninja/superscience army evaporates.

Glad to be of service!

Also, you for got to add /whoopsiesuicide to your list there!

Brother-Captain

There is no whoopsiecide, only traitorous underlings and malicious rivals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast