BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Space Wolves 1850, First 6th ed list. NEED criticism.

Hey Guys,

I have been out of the game awhile, so I'm still reading up on all the 6th ed. rules. This is my first attempt at coming back.

HQ

Wolf Lord 235
    • Thunderwolf
    • Runic Armor
    • Belt of Russ
    • Wolftooth necklace
    • Frost blade
    • Saga of the Beastslayer

Rune Priest - 135
    • Powers – Living Lightning, Jaws or Divination (Thoughts?)
    • Wolf tooth necklace
    • Wolf tail talisman
    • Runic armour

Troops

10 Grey Hunters - 230
    • 2 Plasma Guns
    • Wolf Standard
    • Power fist
    • Drop Pod
    10 Grey Hunters - 230
    • 2 Plasma Guns
    • Wolf Standard
    • Power fist
    • Drop Pod
    10 Grey Hunters - 210
    • Meltagun
    • Power Fist
    • Wolf Standard
    • Drop Pod

Fast Attack

3 Thunderwolf Cavalry - 255
    • 3 Storm Shields
    • Power Fist

Heavy Support

5 Long Fangs - 145
    • 2 Lascannon
    • 2 Missile Launcher
    5 Long Fangs – 115
    • 4 Missile Launchers
    Vindicator - 130
    • Siege Shield
    • Dozer Blade

Fortification

Aegis Defense Line - 100
    • Quad Gun

Total - 1785 pts.

So, I have 65 points to play around with. If I can drop 20 points somewhere, I can take a 5 man scout squad with a meltagun that would just outflank and destroy something important or tie up some heavy weapons, maybe slow a big unit down. what else do you think I should take?

The main idea is using the Aegis with the Long Fangs in it is a main firing base as well as Anti Flyer defense. The Rune Priest stays with them to cast Prescience or fire the Quad Gun at pesky flyers. He's also there to help protect the Long Fangs from outflanking or deepstriking units. The vindicator won't try to take a shot until some the drop pods come in and the enemy has closer problems to worry about. I know it's risky with Ordance when I'm using drop Pods but I'm not going to target something I think has a high probability of scattering into my own units.

All the Drop Pods will DS into midfield and sit back with the plasma guns and bolters and fire into everything. They will wait for the counter-attack charge if facing an assault army, and have no problem going into CC with the wolf standard and powerfist if the enemy is gonna sit back and shoot.

The big Lord saddles up with the TWC and uses the drop pods and will sort of join the midfield when the drop pods do, and will just assault into anything with high toughness, or an horde units, basically just going to massacre everything. I took storm shields on all of them in case the drop pods come in late and they get shot up. I didn't take Saga of the Bear on the lord because it's really expensive, but I'm totally willing to switch it out because if he is going up against a monstrous creature or some power fists, I don't want to have to rely on Look Out, sir rolls to save my lord.

Any other advice guys?
    Last edited by Cypher the Fallen; 05-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Hi,

I only take space wolves as allies to my blood angels but my bud only ever takes them so I may be able to help a little...

Wolf lord... Looks good. I have never taken a lord on a mount but I've seen my mate take one a few times. He has had a lot of success running him with twin wolf claws and saga of the beast slayer. Re-rolls to hit and wound on MC hitting at S5 does the trick on the avatar and demon princess. I guess it would work well on tyranids as well.

Rune priest... Total no brainer and a totaly super choice. I cannot pick between LL/JoWW or divination. Both have their time to shine... If I was forced I'd go divination just because... well I don't know why I just would .

Grey hunters... Again look good. I'd be careful plonking them in the midfield against very shooty armies as you could well find they just disappear. The new Tau codex is a rascal for pulling this trick off!

Thunder wolves... Banging! Love them. The three shields seems to be the tried and tested technique. I'd probably take a thunder hammer though to help old lordy deal with any MC you want to go hunting. I have seen them work fairly well run bare though. Or maybe with just a power sword. Hug cover and go hunting those sneaky small squads of scoring troupes that always seem to spring up at the end of the game and grab an objective. Or possible lone heavy support option devastators or thunder fire cannons etc

Long fangs... Amazing, good guns and cheep. Not really changed since 5th. I have tried recently taking my Rune Priest with divination along with these boys. This has worked amazing and can make it worth while taking a full squad with las cannons backed up with wolf guard in TDA armed with a missile launcher. If you spent your spare 60 points of master of the runes (I think its called that) you could cast one divination spell on each squad of long fangs per turn. That would make them totally devastating. This helps with fly swatting as well if you re-roll enough dice you'll find a few 6's in the end.

Vindicator... Great tank but mine never lasts more than a turn or two and rarely gets to shoot. I only take one now if I'm running a full armoured list. Something that can work quite well by the way as every one expects a mostly infantry list since 6th came along... I hate to tell you to drop it as one good shot from this monster can pay for its self but a few wolf guard in a pod or maybe a couple of scouts will pay for them selves more consistently.

Agies Defence line with quad gun... Never taken one! I only see flyers every now and then and when I do my Storm Raven kills it for me. Not really an option for you but if you like the Rune Priest with Long Fangs idea they can do a very good job of this. Of course the defence line gives them something to hide behind!
    I will aid to what I’ve said here I’m not a competitive player. I want to win but the WAAC mentality seems totally daft to me . I’m sure there are guys on here who could point you in the direction of the perfect competitive army but that is not me.
    Good Luck.

Thanks for the input man that definitely helped. I could drop the Vindicator and the Aegis line for 5 termies in a drop pod with a cyclone missile launcher. I definitely like the sound of that, but I'm not entirely sure I should do it. It seems like flyers are gonna come into more and more games, and if not I can use the Quad gun to blow up troops anyway.

Chaplain

Just wondering - who is manning the quad gun on turns when you've not used it's Interceptor ability, IE your regular shooting phases.

Reason I'm asking is because if your answer was the Long Fang Pack Leader, then you loose the ability to split fire the rest of the Long Fangs.

Yup thats who I use. Ive found splitting fire to be a only semi occasional use thing in my games.

So I should change this up a bit because I have edited the list. The 9 man grey hunter squad is gonna become a ten man, and the rune priest is going to hang back with the Long Fangs to cash Prescience on them, and fire the Quad Gun when needed. I'm not completely up on all the new rules, but I'm assuming he can't cast a psychic power and shoot the quad gun in the same turn?

I'm not sure... I think if my memory serves Prescience is cast at the start of the movment phase so I don't see why it would effect your abilty to shot a gun in the shooting phase... Some one not a work with the rule book close to hand should be able to answer this better for you. But thats how I have seen it played and played it myself.

Hi Cypher,

just a few amendments from me as I think your list basically works. You Wolf Lord has an odd layout though. Why Saga of the Beastslayer? He instead should be made immune vs. instant kills. Also, frost blades are very expensive for what they do. Why not give him TH/SS or a poweraxe with storm shield? Necklaces now are no longer useful for any characters.

Your Grey Hunters will have to take Ld tests rather quickly and fail them, since Ld 8 is not much. Especially when you drop them right into mid-field, they should have a Wolf Guard for Ld 9. If you don't buy a WG than at least give the third pack the second melter it qualifies for.

Instead of scouts, who die rather quickly, I'd advise to max out the LF packs with a fifth heavy weapon. Any leftovers could buy you a Razorback with las/plas for one of the LF packs. It could team up with the Vindicator and protect its flank.

By the way, I think your Rune Priest needs to buy mastery level 2 for 50 points.