BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 749 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 249649699739747748749750751759799849 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,490 of 10008

Kind of makes sense, in that you can't go after FB or Twitter.

However, I believe they can be subpoenad, or however you spell that needlessly wordy word, into giving the details of those who posted it up to the relevant authorities?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I was thinking more of the gossipe sites and magazines that make **** like this profitable for people to do. Also need to make things like offering bounties for nude pictures illegal. It won't solve the problem but it will help somewhat.
    Ah yeah that makes sense

and as I posted in the offtopic thread and then the topic popped up here, this seems an appropriate gif set

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Banned

In the 1930s, men’s nipples were just as provocative, shameful, and taboo as women’s are now, and men were protesting in much the same way. In 1930, four men went topless to Coney Island and were arrested. In 1935, a flash mob of topless men descended upon Atlantic City, 42 of whom were arrested. Men fought and they were heard, changing not only laws but social consciousness. And by 1936, men’s bare chests were accepted as the norm.

So why is it that 80 years later women can’t seem to achieve the same for their chests? Why can’t a mother proudly breastfeed her child in public without feeling sexualized? Why is a 17-year-old girl being asked to leave her own prom because a group of fathers find her too provocative? Why should I feel overly exposed because I choose not to wear a bra?

Why would it be okay with Instagram and Facebook to allow photos of a cancer survivor who has had a double mastectomy and is without areolas but “photos with fully exposed breasts, particularly if they’re unaffected by surgery, don’t follow Instagram’s Community Guidelines.” Until this weekend women were afraid to post photos of their mastectomy tattoos -- realistic or creative -- for fear that Instagram would delete their accounts.

I am not trying to argue for mandatory toplessness, or even bralessness. What I am arguing for is a woman’s right to choose how she represents her body -- and to make that choice based on personal desire and not a fear of how people will react to her or how society will judge her. No woman should be made to feel ashamed of her body.
    [URL="http://www.xojane.com/issues/scout-willis-topless-instagram-protest"]I AM SCOUT WILLIS AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT WALKING TOPLESS DOWN THE STREETS OF NEW YORK LAST WEEK[/URL]

She is very impressive and that whole thing was impressive, but of course the media almost universally just went with the 'haha, celebrity daughter flashing her nip nips in public, oo aaa' angle.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    [URL="http://imsudo.tumblr.com/post/96025770789"]source[/URL]
    Awesome. You could also point to the lady who won the world long sword championship.

A couple years ago I had the pleasure of teaching ("teaching...") a summer fencing seminar at a local library as part of a "cool active things kids can do" series. I had a good smattering of boys and girls in the class, probably ages 6-13.

I will never forget this precocious 7 year old girl with her older brother and mom. In the "Q& A" portion of the class, before they got to try on the gear and practice a few parries, she asked if fencing was just for boys, or if girls could fence too. Her mother was a bit nonplussed. Her brother laughed and said "no girl could be a fencer."

To which I replied "absolutely girls can fence...and you know what? Arguably, right now in the US, girls are the *best* fencers in the country."

Brother: "No way! I don't believe it!"

Me: "You guys know the Olympics, and how fencing is one of the sports in the summer Olympics?"

Audience: "Yeah..."

Me: "Well, the US finally win Olympic gold in fencing for,the first time in over a hundred years...and the women fencers did it. The men couldn't win the gold medal."

The little girl about exploded with joy. Her mother just glared daggers at me for the future fencing classes and gear expenses she was envisioning.
    Da CRIB: Chicago Region Infinity Blog
    http://chicagolandregioninfinityplayersblog.blogspot.com/?m=1

That's why representation of womens sports is important. There are so many things which girls are told they can't do because they are boys things when they aren't and this diminishes the talent pool for those things which in turn makes it harder to get spectacular athletes who can raise the profile more...
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    The lengths people will go to to defend gross violations of privacy is disgusting.
    yup, lots of people I know going 'oh but she is hot, we all want to see, you want to see her naked don't you?' sure. if she specifically sends them to me with full knowledge, then I will happily look. I am not going to look at leaked pictures online, that is unbelievably wrong and creepy. I read that the actress who plays Ramona Flowers had deleted the photos of herself a long time ago, so this is not just somebody hacking an account and taking them, but doing some serious hunting and recovery of them.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

we keep talking about rape stats, the fact it happens all the time, the fact it is done by 'normal, nice' people and is a serious by-product of male dominated society.

just to give you an idea, my sister was with some friends the other night and they played 'I have never'. in case you are not aware, you take it in turns, each person says 'I have never...' and describes an action/event/situation etc, and if you have done that thing, you drink. so it could be 'I have never seen the sound of music' 'I have never been to disney world' or whatever.

my sister's friend said 'I have never been raped.' then one of her friends replied 'oh, I have. well, sort of. not really.' she had been kissing a guy outside a club, and he wanted to go further. she said no. they had sex anyway. she cried and said no all the way through. because of the way way society pressurises women, and regards women about sex, she did not think she had been raped because she had had a couple of one night stands with other men in the previous few weeks. any time she sees the guy on a night out, he waves to her. so for people who might think they would never be friends with a rapist, the rapist might not even know themselves.

the next friend then admitted that actually she had possibly been raped as well. she consented to have sex with someone, then withdrew that consent when they got to the bedroom, but he carried on anyway. again, she wasn't sure because she had previously given her consent.

so out of five women playing the game, two have been victims of rape, and all of them are around 21.

Yup. It was the point when I sat down and counted the number of female friends I had who were victims of rape and realised they outnumbered the ones who hadn't been. By about a 9:1 ratio.

Not one of them had been dragged off to the woods, or attacked by a stranger. It was always boyfriends, fathers or guys they were friends with. Slut shaming and victim blaming are powerful weapons of social control; often nowhere more so than in the minds of a survivor.

I remember a bloke I knew from my first job. Nice guy. Fun to be around. Everyone liked him. He joked about how he liked drunk girls because 'when they're drunk enough, they don't say no, do they, eh?'. He flashed me a winning smile after this. The other blokes (because of course it was only us blokes around him) all just nodded and smiled at this bit of black humour that might not have actually been that. I didn't have the confidence at the time to speak up and call him out on his deeply unfunny, what-I-hope-was-a-joke. I still feel bad about my cowardice.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

we are all guilty of not calling out people all the time. sometimes we feel it is too much hassle, you don't want to make life hard for yourself at work etc.