BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 547 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 47447497537545546547548549557597647 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,470 of 10008

No, it's her who just flaps her gob for any given amount of money, as long as you don't mind a deluge of ignorance in place of fact.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I'm beginning to think burning would be appropriate honestly. The only thing worse than a prominent man spouting misogynist bollocks is a prominent woman doing it. People feel less comfortable telling her off and you get hoards of ****ing idiots, male and female, coming out in support of her because it lets them validate their misogyny. It is even worse in this case because she is dismissing the opinions and reports of sexism from over 50,000 women who have posted to the Everyday Sexism program as just 'having a moan' and likely to put men off being chivalrous because apparently men won't be nice to you if you expect them to treat you like a ****ing human being?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    She is up there with Superman and Batman as an icon, the only difference because she is a woman she hasn't had a dozen film adaptations and multiple animated series about her. She is a household name and she is still an icon amongst women it's just no one making films gives a ****. It isn't about her not being a household name, it is about sexism.
    I shall cite my wife as a good example, because we who are nerds often forget.
    This is a person who is moderately nerdy, owns games consoles, played "commander keen", willingly sees comic movies etc.
    She knew who batman was, and some of his back story.
    She knows superman and some of his back story.
    She knew spider man and some of his too.
    She didn't know any of the Avengers apart from the Hulk.
    When I got excited about a WW movie all she knew about her was that she'd heard the name in an episode or two of family guy but didn't get the reference.

Not saying WW isn't better know elsewhere (I know she's better known in the US than UK and AUS for example), but the sad truth in my experience is that she's just not on the same awareness scale as the other two.
    Does she deserve to be, hell yes.

But then PG, Miss Marvel, Scarlet Witch and Nico Minoru all deserve the same treatment.

But the people who make these calls are suits, and suits look at focus group recognition and merchandising rites. Not in-cinema popularity and artistic diversity.

This is literally how I picture the discussion going.......
    Suit 1
    "Batman sells a lot of lunchboxes, we should make another Batman movie."
    Suit 2
    "Yeah, with Superman! He sells a lot of lunchboxes too!"
    Suit 3
    "And Wonder Woman? Girls lunchboxes? Extra Money?"
    Suit 1
    "Good point i guess. Ok let's prioritise the screen time."
    Suit 2
    "Batman first, he has gadgets and cars and planes and all sorts of stuff we can sell.
    Then Superman, people remember him when he was Dean Cain."
    Suit 3
    "But WonderWoman has her Magical Lasso and an Invisible Jet. And some other cool stuff."
    Suit 1
    "WTF man? This isn't a film aimed at women or girls, we're selling toys to boys here."

Or maybe I'm being cynical........
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

The problem is Batman and Superman are only better known because they get film after film after film but Wonder Woman never gets a film to get that kind of exposure. It is a testament to her appeal and popularity that she is as well known as she is to be honest. Well that and her presence in Justice League animated series' which had a big following.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    No, it's her who just flaps her gob for any given amount of money, as long as you don't mind a deluge of ignorance in place of fact.
    No it is

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Same person of questionable mental aptitude. (There, I think that's about as PC as we can get when calling someone a nutter*)

*May have just ruined an otherwise noble intent.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Erm....

With regard to Wonder Woman, in the context of this thread ... has it been mentioned that the original Wonder Woman was created in part as a medium for William Moulton Marston (her creator) to explore his fetish for bondage? Supposedly he modeled WW on both his wife and his secretary, of which both lived with him and with both he sired several children.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Banned

And..?

Like that stopped being even remotely relevant to how she was portrayed around 50 years ago, and even if it was I still don't see what your point is or how it's relevant to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    Erm....

With regard to Wonder Woman, in the context of this thread ... has it been mentioned that the original Wonder Woman was created in part as a medium for William Moulton Marston (her creator) to explore his fetish for bondage? Supposedly he modeled WW on both his wife and his secretary, of which both lived with him and with both he sired several children.
    She was also created as a model of how a man didn't need to be able to physically dominate a woman to be in a healthy relationship with her. There was a conscious and deliberate effort to create her as a feminist icon from the start, and it succeeded. Even if it is true the creator had a bondage fetish and it shows in her somehow it is still less obvious and less harmful than th [URL="http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52103"]current crop of DC artists penchant for putting IMMENSE fake breasts on teenage girl characters[/URL].