BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 705 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 205605655695703704705706707715755805 ... LastLast
Results 7,041 to 7,050 of 10008

Juliet Starling was a hyper sexualised fap facilitator. Lara did actually become quite independent during the course of the game and remember she goes from post-grad student on an expedition to having to fight for her life, it wasn't really required that she be pro-active the whole time. That interview was silly though especially since the rape-y ness of the scene was really overstated. I mean he gropes her, then if you don't kill him he strangles you. Then there is no hint of Lara being at risk of sexual assault the rest of the game.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Seriously, I know about how that housing crisis feels. Probably gunna be stuck with my parents forever. D:
    aye

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Objectification of women ftl.
    Yep.

Nothing about her role in GotG (in which she is very good). Just a nudie pic, with the promise of more inside. Why?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Juliet Starling was a hyper sexualised fap facilitator.
    Indeed, but is also never portrayed as weak, helpless or a damsel in distress. She's always in command and control of the situations the plot throws at her. Her blissful ignorance is also played for jokes. In terms of empowerment, she's worryingly progressive

That interview was silly though especially since the rape-y ness of the scene was really overstated. I mean he gropes her, then if you don't kill him he strangles you.
    Weren't we discussing a while ago how that's still Rape, I mean, he gropes you...then tries to strangle you. That seems like a sexualised assault, especially given the whole strangling = act of passion thing.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Sure but she isn't much of a character either, she's just a violent sex doll. I wouldn't call her particularly progressive.

Well it is still sexual assault and it wasn't needed in the game but it wasn't a rape scene or an attempted rape and I do think the fuss about it was overstating how bad the scene was. I mean it added nothing to the game and was ignored the moment it happened (which is good) and I don't believe sexual assault should be used as a character building device for female characters. But the scene didn't really do that and when you watch it there is a disconnect between the groping and the strangling, its like 'well I've groped you' 'now I'm going to strangle you' rather than the strangling having sexual overtones in my opinion. The interview made more of it and unnecessarily annoyed a lot of people by dramatically overstating the impact of the scene I think.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Indeed. She's not a great character IMO, but she's a funny sign of being mildly progressive in some ways.

Hell, Harley Quinn - Animated Series - is probably one of my favourite female characters in general, and isn't the most progressive character in most episodes she appears, merely being portrayed as the Joker's doting sidekick, (though the episodes where she gets the spotlight are easily my favourite of that series, aside from Baby Doll. Baby Doll is excellent.) I don't think she was ever meant to be, "progressive," and to be fair it makes her a more rounded character that at times she's independent and in control, at others she's much less so.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Indeed, but is also never portrayed as weak, helpless or a damsel in distress. She's always in command and control of the situations the plot throws at her. Her blissful ignorance is also played for jokes. In terms of empowerment, she's worryingly progressive.
    There's a ASOIAF quote by Danny - "Woman? Is that meant to insult me?" - that is often used on tumblr for gifsets of action heroines kicking *** and exploding people. But I feel those are missing the point somewhat. Being an empowered woman often takes the form of being "not like those other girls", ie still sh1tting on women but making yourself look good by not being like them. It's still saying that feminine traits are negative. When Danny was retorting that being called woman is not an insult she was saying that there is nothing insulting about being a woman, even if you are weak or helpless.

I wanted to do one of these that celebrated all types of women - strong, brave, sad, happy, single, mothers - because there’s nothing insulting about being a woman, no matter how you fit in the world.
    Empowerment ≠ kicking ***, just like a strong female character ≠ kicking ***. Too often progressive female characters are simply ones who are still acceptably attractive but, despite perfect make-up and clothing, reject traditionally feminine ways. Also simply being willful or proactive doesn't make a good character, male or female. Being a well written character does. And as the quote goes:

Screw writing “strong” women. Write interesting women. Write well-rounded women. Write complicated women. Write a woman who kicks ***, write a woman who cowers in a corner. Write a woman who’s desperate for a husband. Write a woman who doesn’t need a man. Write women who cry, women who rant, women who are shy, women who don’t take no ****, women who need validation and women who don’t care what anybody thinks.

THEY ARE ALL OKAY, and all those things could exist in THE SAME WOMAN. Women shouldn’t be valued because we are strong, or kick-***, but because we are people. So don’t focus on writing characters who are strong. Write characters who are people.
    Which all ties in to one of the core things about feminism to me: That there is nothing wrong about being a woman. There is nothing lesser about "feminine" interests. And women shouldn't have to shed parts of their identity to be accepted as equally worthy as men, nor should they be seen as lesser if they chose not to be "feminine" in the first place.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Daenerys, mostly because she's wielding power in the same heavy-handed way Joffrey does.

Anyway, from the point of view of men attempting to write women - which is hilariously difficult - it's impossible to accurately convey everything a woman thinks because men simply don't have that mindset. It reminds me of some passages from ASOIAF where it's pretty darn clear that a guy wrote it because the women seem to be permanently conscious of their breasts and are often mentioning them or thinking about them.

Empowerment ≠ kicking ***, just like a strong female character ≠ kicking ***. Too often progressive female characters are simply ones who are still acceptably attractive but, despite perfect make-up and clothing, reject traditionally feminine ways. Also simply being willful or proactive doesn't make a good character, male or female. Being a well written character does.
    Indeed. This is why, in gaming at least, my favourite protagonists are still Elizabeth, Clementine and Ellie. I still liked their male partners, though Joel wasn't a favourite and Booker was...well, interesting. Lee I liked a lot, though. The aforementioned characters are, at their core, much more vulnerable than the men they replace in gameplay, but are still capable enough to survive and still find strength.

Walking Dead plays with Clem's role in very interesting ways in the episode just released. Clem's a little girl everyone treats like a seasoned survivor, because she's both, and there's a great moment where Kenny calls her out on it in the latest episode. It's an interesting almost coming-of-age moment for her. Ellie is a strong character who was very interesting to play and well-characterised in her gameplay, not to mention Elizabeth's more subtle, intelligent approach to Booker's "roundhouse kick the door open and spray lead everywhere."

Pity more game companies aren't brave enough to try it, because IMO those three aforementioned games are critically acclaimed on their storytelling for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

What's wrong with this picture?
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it. They want to pay her, she wants to do the work and people want to buy the paper. It could've been better balanced from a certain point of view but the fact is sex sells. I don't think there's a problem with that, it's a fact of life!

Also, she looks amazing and is obviously proud of the fact - good for her!

Chapter-Master

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/28/geraldo-rivera-marriage-women-youth-sexist_n_5627865.html[/url]

This goes beyond stupidity...