BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 733 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 233633683723731732733734735743783833 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,330 of 10008

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    discussion on the radio today about the wage gap. with it came a perfect example of unconscious sexism from a very well meaning retirement age man. he started off by saying that women should be paid the same as men, which was great, but then went on to point out that in his family, his wife and two daughters got paid more than him. the problem was, he is a self employed french polisher (ooeer), his wife was a teacher, and his daughters were an accountant and a solicitor, so not exactly comparable. the real problem then came when he said, with all good intentions, that 'most women are as good as men'.
    Strictly speaking he's right. Most women are as good as a man in a given job. Some women are better than a man in a given job. Some women are worse than a man in a given job.

Nothing to do with gender on my view though, just a general truth that nobody is equal in the sense many claim feminism etc is trying to claim

And time for some wisdom from the pages of Viz, Britains 3rd (possibly 4th) funniest five-weekly grin mag.

And, [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28856370]speaking tongue-in-cheek of women and men and jobs and that[/url], Scotland has it's first female senior level football manager[/url].
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 08-19-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Nice to know you read my comments Mystery.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Strictly speaking he's right. Most women are as good as a man in a given job. Some women are better than a man in a given job. Some women are worse than a man in a given job.

Nothing to do with gender on my view though, just a general truth that nobody is equal in the sense many claim feminism etc is trying to claim
    Actually that is exactly what feminism claims. It isn't that everyone is literally equal in the sense that everyone has the same level of abilities, its that everyone is allowed to succeed on the basis of their abilities rather than social and cultural privilege. So a man who is better at his job than a female colleague will be rewarded and vice versa. As opposed to the current system where the man is rewarded more regardless.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

That's what I was trying to say, but failed.

And Wildey - I do read comments, I just don't always click on links due to work filter. Sorry duder
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Fair enough.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

#5 Funniest one liner from the fringe:

5."I wanted to do a show about feminism. But my husband wouldn't let me" - Ria Lina.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Last edited by eldargal; 08-20-2014 at 05:17 AM.

Chapter-Master

Is that genuine or tongue in cheek? Also, what's all this Thor is a woman stuff I keep seeing alluded to? I feel like I've missed something important.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Tongue in cheek. Poking fun at the idiots who[URL="http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor"] freaked out at the new Thor being a woman.[/URL]

Occuli Imperator

You can change the sex of viking god but you can't a space marinie...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni