BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 303 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403803 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 10008

In Judaism, the woman is 'held to be equal but also separate'. Also i am no apologist for religion, i was merely pointing out that different cultures have different starting points, and that 4000 years ago women were held to be equal to men in Jewish doctrine/society. The fact that there are separate areas within the synagogue for men and women doesn't change this.

Women have had gender equality enshrined in law since 1948 in Israel, though of course there is still massive room for improvement, particularly in civil matters, where religion often interferes with the state. Some of the leading feminists of the 20th century are/were Jewish; and it has been contended to be a contributing factor for several reasons; one of the foremost being the matrilineal continuation of the bloodline. The veneration as figures of respect, admiration and adoration of early female Jewish figures, such as Miriam or Rachel is also thought to be a contributing factor, and is clearly an important one.

Stripclubs being banned is a win for human beings; women and men; maybe you wish to satisfy your 'high libido' by denigrating other people, its not uncommon, but don't kid yourself that it is not an exploitative, damaging and dehumanising industry which leads to all sorts of societal problems, not least of which is prostitution.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Nope, [URL="http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-10-11/business/42920749_1_single-men-happy-hour-behavioral-economics"]'cos it's evidence based[/URL].
    You kids today, with your "science" and your "evidence!" In my day, we just stumbled around in an ignorant stupor, and when we needed facts, we just made 'em up! That's how it was, and we liked it!
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Chaplain

Saw this today, thought it was brilliant, apologies if it's already been posted.

Joss Whedon's awesome response to why he writes strong female characters (nails it at 6:00).

Last edited by Build; 11-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Every saint has a past, every sinner, a future.

Chapter-Master

What was the GRRM quote? 'I write strong female characters because I write strong people.' Something like that?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Last week, we were writing poetry, and one of my pupils wrote a fairly entertaining haiku. I feel I must share it with you all, because I laughed (and before anyone says anything, I didn't give them the theme - they could all choose their own topic):

“Women are weaker!”
    Strong enough to carry your
    body to the woods.
    Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Interesting. Question gone up about my LARP, and whether a female player can portray a male character. Responses could prove enlightening.

Personally, I see no reason why not.

EDIT - 6 replies. 5 supportive. 1 advising if it's just to wear a beard, first event isn't expected to be as cold as this year....
    I can't see why not. Look how many cosplayers crossplay. It's just a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    "
    Also I honestly don't see how stripclubs being banned is a win for women. I'm female and I want to be able to go to a stripclub where I can see hot men dancing around in skimpy costumes. Unfortunately that is harder to find because (at least here) there is the insane view that women simply aren't interested in that sort of thing or worse that they shouldn't be interested because that is something sexual and it is astonishing how many people find it weird that women can have high libidos too.
    Its a win for the vocal minority. Like most men i'd assume most women probably dont care one way or another.
    Though anecdotally from talking to a couple of landlords and bouncers in the past women pawing at male strippers are harder to control than men with female strippers, but i'm assuming thats stag/hen parties in a pub setting...

Also lol

"We live in a world where losing your phone is more dramatic than losing your virginity"

Um ok but I don’t recall my virginity having 16 GB of memory with all my contacts, music, photos, calendars, and apps or costing over $200.

my phone is an expensive and important material object and not a useless social construct put in place to shame and commodify women
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 11-05-2013 at 03:52 PM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    What was the GRRM quote? 'I write strong female characters because I write strong people.' Something like that?
    When he was asked how he writes such strong female characters I think he said something like 'I write them like people' or something, which is a good answer because the whole problem with equality for women is that we have a culture which says women are Other.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

How many seem to see any kind of feminisit (from the satirical funny grin mag Viz)

Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

But men and women aren't equal. Nor can they be.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Banned

Care to elaborate on that?

Chapter-Master

Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.