BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 827 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 327727777817825826827828829837877927 ... LastLast
Results 8,261 to 8,270 of 10008

But it's only black feminists who are being criticised over their sexuality by white feminists.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Which may well be true - but they are giving the impression that Annie Lennox is one of those doing more damage than good with selective criticism.

That's no good to anyone.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

The problem appears to be the noisiest most radical feminists seem to be white middle class hipsters, so the other feminists are assuming all white feminists offering criticism fall into that group?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Seemingly so.

I'm not touching on whether what Annie Lennox said is justified, correct, misguided etc.

But those who have decided there is a racial prejudice involved in Annie Lennox's comment aren't helping matters at all.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Banned

People are givign her a case of side eye as Beyonce has said in an interviews with that she calls herself a feminist, believes in equality, and advocates for women to be whoever they would like to be. Beyoncé included Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s famous “We Should All Be Feminists” speech in her song Flawless. Beyoncé even had a 12 foot tall neon sign with the word “feminist” behind her during the MTV Music Awards but she twerks and Lennox calls her a ""feminist lite." L-I-T-E." and that it is "tokenistic".
    She does say that she would like "to sit down with quite a few artists and talk to them. I'd like to listen to them; I'd like to hear what they truly think" because "I see a lot of it as them taking the word hostage and using it to promote themselves, but I don't think they necessarily represent wholeheartedly the depths of feminism" because she has "issues with it. Of course I do. I think it's a cheap shot. I think what they do with it is cheap and ... yeah. What can I tell you? Sex always sell. And there's nothing wrong with sex selling, but it depends on your audience. If they're 7-year-old kids, I have issues with it."

So her criticisms stem from Beyonce's sexuality - and it should be pointed out Beyonce is an adult artist making music for adults - the fact that she is entirely sceptical of Beyonce being a feminist is based entirely on nothing more than her being sexual, which she doesn't have problem with. Given Lennox also covered a song about lynching as a song about universal suffering or something and given her reasons for branding Beyonce a tokenistic feminist are because of twerking and... I'm not sure what, and given she also says that "One day we'll get rid of this word "gay," because it's irrelevant" she may not be doing it consciously but I'd put good money on her being well meaning but tone deaf to how things affect and are important to other people.

Which is not the same thing as her attacking Beyonce's stage performance based on race.

It is because the divide is racial. White woman sexaulity = good, black woman sexuality = bad.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Can't we just all agree on the one true fact here, which is that humans as a species are a corrupt and self interested lot who shouldn't really be classified as sentient
    Long live the glorious nagash supreme lord of the undead and immortal king. Emotionally imparred autistic with a tendency towards obsessing on near useless topics like dinosaurs

Chapter-Master

So its a pro/anti sex positivity argument?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Banned

But it is rooted in perceptions of race - she says herself that there's nothing wrong with sex selling, but Beyonce using her sexuality, or specifically twerking, makes her a bad feminist despite the fact she's doing it infront of a gigantic sign saying feminism? That twerking has been around for a very long time in African-American culture so the use of it by Nikki Minaj and other black female artists was seen as a step forward by many black women as it was them owning their sexuality in their music and not merely being dancers for a male act. So Lennox's saying Beyonce twerking is a disqualifier to be feminist is taken as an insult to black women in feminism specifically because it is saying "if you twerk you can't be a feminist!". Which becomes a race thing as twerking is an African-American cultural product.

It's that it was just that one thing, that one very black person thing, was un-feminsit to her. Not selling through sex (she endorses it!). Not singing about sex (no problem mentioned). But twerking. That's her only issue. Given white society's love of taking from African-American culture with one hand and knocking it down with the other I think people are right to be asking Lennox to re-evaluate where her opinions come from.