BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 920 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 420820870910918919920921922930970 ... LastLast
Results 9,191 to 9,200 of 10008
    Chapter-Master

Twice in last few days on tumblr I've seen it claimed that young childless single women in fulltime work earn more than men in the UK, but I can't find where they're getting this from. Google points me at an ABC news thing from Oz that compares OZ and the US and then goes on about part time workers.
    the rest of the google results seem to be about can you be middleaged and happy as a woman without children?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

I don't think TBM is the only one to cite less than rigerous stats so lets not be too hasty with that.

There is real gender inequality because things are not equal. Nor can somethings ever be.

Consider a hetronormal couple enjoying each other bodies intimately they use protection but they happen to be that fraction of a % that something goes wrong and the woman becomes with child.

If they both want to keep it or not then that is fine they are both served equally.

If the male wants it and the female doesn't the female can get an abortion without the father present or his concent. Unless they manage to get a court hearing which is unlikely given the time scales invovled but could happen (maybe it did, I can't remember). But even if it is the case and the female is made to keep it, it isn't exactly fair that she has to put her body through the pregnacy or labour if she doesn't wish it.

If the woman wants it and the male doesn't the female can keep it and then force the male to pay upkeep on it.

There is no "equal" option.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course we cannot forget that today makes an august occasions, where in the minster of York, Bishop Libby Lane becomes the first female Bishop in the CofE.

Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

If they both want to keep it or not then that is fine they are both served equally.
    Only if they are married. Beeing the biological Father means nothing at all.
    You have to ADOPT the child to be granted any right. Strictly spoken, if an umarried couple want to keep the child and anything would ever happen to the mother, parentship will be granted to her parents, not to the biological father.

Chapter-Master

Like any risky activity sex has consequences.
    For a woman the worst outcome is death in childbirth.
    A man might have a financial commitment for eighteen years.

Like any gambling you take your chances, but as a womans worst outcome is significantly worse than a mans thats why she gets the final say?

Occuli Imperator

I am deliberately not commenting on custody as that is an area which it is possible to have equality.
    I am also deliberately not commenting on who should have final say because that is a kettle of fish that I don't want to touch, merely observing that it isn't equal.

Risk to parent again shows where there is inequality because of being biologically different. You could argue that the pressure of financial providence might cause the man to take his own life, which while his own choice has the same resultant as death.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Never considered that, though I'm still generally of it's a womans body so her choice, not sure an enforced abortion is much different to forcing someone to carry to term.

Occuli Imperator

Either option is sub optimal.

Chapter-Master

A no win situation?

I think it's unplanned pregnancies that are the worst, but that's a matter of bad relationship knowledge. I think the initiatives to educate young couples in staying safe and avoiding pregnancy are the smart option. We should always make people aware that it's something that needs to be talked over some time, in case a pregnancy happens. That way you have more of an idea what conflicts might arise.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Only if they are married. Beeing the biological Father means nothing at all.
    You have to ADOPT the child to be granted any right. Strictly spoken, if an umarried couple want to keep the child and anything would ever happen to the mother, parentship will be granted to her parents, not to the biological father.
    Really? What country is that in? Here custody will go to the father unless the father is unknown, marriage definitely not needed. Unless the father does not want custody, in which case it could be either set of grandparents, or to aunts or uncles.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams