BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 788 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 288688738778786787788789790798838888 ... LastLast
Results 7,871 to 7,880 of 10008
    Banned

Given the article includes a roundabout "not all men" in it I think it's not really a good example. Also that is says the campaign is asking to "“take action against all forms of violence and discrimination faced by women and girls” but says nothing about problems affecting men and boys" - well funny thing that, that a campaign about women's issues would be about women's issues and not men's. I mean who'd have thought that something about women wouldn't include men? Good thing there isn't a trope about how men are always trying to wedge themselves into everything, or that they complain when everything is not catered to them or it'd be really ironic. There is? Weird.

The fact that somehow violence against women, both domestic and sexual, is considered a women's issue rather than a men's issue speaks volumes about how much men care about these things. That even the slightest failure is regarded as "this movement will never succeed" says so much about how people are just looking for any excuse to tear it down. It also talks about imbalance in custody, despite the fact that since changes to the laws the article derides men win custody overwhelmingly in the instances they seek it, they just don't seek it very often.

The fact that almost any MRA is more concerned with attacking, silencing and abusing women rather than actually creating a movement to look at issues that solely affect men is what the article should be criticising. Not that someone gave a speech all about how men shouldn't be afraid of feminism because they won't be worse off, that they can feel safe standing up against the horrendous imbalance of violence that looms over half the population because at the end of the day they're also helping themselves. Why ask "why aren't women fixing men's problems too?" when there's enough of a struggle to hang on to what has been gained when you could ask "why are men insisting that everything has to benefit them to be worthwhile?"

Chapter-Master

My thoughts on equality is that the focus should be on a level playing field for everyone rather then a myriad of special interest groups pushing their own agendas. Also I may have worked in corporate america for too long, but you absolutely can not sell any idea in business without showing the upside to who you are selling it too. I don't see why rights issues would work differently.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Banned

Because we're talking about very real consequences for actual human beings not corporate dealings? Keep in mind for these "special interest groups" their own agendas = not being murdered a lot of the time. If men can't get behind reducing violence against women, inequality in pay and health care without being assured it will help them I have no issues saying yes all men. I mean holy **** you just said women are a special interest group.

Chapter-Master

I do not believe that the human mind works any different regardless of whether you are pitching a corporate deal or a human right. You are still in essence 'selling' an idea of something. And it is one thing to convince someone that something is good/bad but an entirely different matter to spur them to do anything about it.

I am not trying to be negative here. I am 100% in favor of stopping violence and 100% in favor of equality for all people. It is painfully obvious to anyone who can read that women have been on the losing side of equality throughout recorded history. If we are really lucky we may actually see some baby steps toward fixing these issues in our lifetime... Although I'm not holding my breath because I don't think for one moment that those controlling the wealth have any desire for true equality in the world.

Looking across the spectrum of equality issues in the world I personally can not rank order them and say one is more important then another. Financial and racial inequality are both also horrible. Why not focus on leveling things out for everyone instead of just those issues that impact us personally? Why not approach things on a unified front?
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Brother-Captain

The BoLS front page is currently depressing. After calling out a sexist 'joke' I am getting men telling me with all seriousness that I am not allowed to be upset about the misogynist things they are saying because there are genocides in africa and that is more important.

W. T. F.

And people wonder why there aren't more women in wargaming? Because of **** like this telling us repeatedly that we aren't welcome.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Because it is impossible to care about two things at once apparently?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

The sheer bloody stupidity of it is, if you're only allowed to care about one issue at once, and that issue is African genocide, by definition that issue is not wargaming news. Anyone making that argument proves themselves a hypocrite merely by being here.

I would point this out on the front page article in question, but I can't seem to find it. Were the comments already deleted? I know the last time I tried to call out a rape joke the comment was automatically flagged for moderation and never got greenlit...
    Last edited by Houghten; 09-30-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Occuli Imperator

I don't even.

So apparently we all need to act on the same maslow heirachy of needs.

Today I will be worrying about where I can find fresh water....
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Occuli Imperator

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/26/yelena-serova-hair-makeup_n_5890792.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000043&i r=Science[/url]

Russian Cosmonaut Slaps Down Reporters Asking About Her Hair And Makeup

"Can you tell me more about your everyday life on the station? For example, how are you planning to do your hair?" one reporter asked.

Serova shot back with an indignant response.

"Can I ask a question, too?" she replied. "Aren't you interested in the hairstyles of my colleagues?"
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Banned