BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 758 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 258658708748756757758759760768808858 ... LastLast
Results 7,571 to 7,580 of 10008

Yup, 'cos even if it isn't arounr or aimed at women it is tacit approval of both that behaviour and more directly ape itself if they don't get called out on it. There was a psychological study done on rapists which found that they believe ALL men do it, only unlucky ones get caught and hearing rape jokes feeds into that rape culture. They hear guys making rape jokes and think 'yeah, its normal'. Which isn't to say everyone who makes a rape joke is going to be a rapist but it does help perpetuate rape culture at an individual level, which goes back to what has been said about feminism at an individual level being important.

[URL="http://kedasederragar.tumblr.com/post/96688895932/cisyphus-slurs-are-not-oppressive-because-they"]Saw this on tumblr[/URL], a good way of explaining why slurs and offensive behaviour is not about people having hurt feelings (as anti-PC people often frame it as):
    Slurs are not oppressive because they are offensive, they are oppressive because slurs by nature of being slurs draw upon certain power dynamics to remind their target of his/her/their vulnerability in a certain relation to power and as an extension of that, to threaten violence and exploitation of that vulnerability.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Oh I know there are plenty of decent players out there, just wish I knew some.

*sigh*
    I think age and maturity has a lot to do with it.

Sigh. Not just for the comment, but also for the ridiculous hype GoT is getting.

It's like observing a teenager just experiencing Monty Python for the first time.

Quaint and a bit nostalgic at first. Then quickly grating on the nerves.
    Da CRIB: Chicago Region Infinity Blog
    http://chicagolandregioninfinityplayersblog.blogspot.com/?m=1

It's a bit grating to see all the, "Kaleesee is the best in game of thrones, she should get the throne!" comments that float around from people who haven't seen Season 4/read the books yet.

Or learned that her name is Daenerys.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

On the subject of

Slurs are not oppressive because they are offensive, they are oppressive because slurs by nature of being slurs draw upon certain power dynamics to remind their target of his/her/their vulnerability in a certain relation to power and as an extension of that, to threaten violence and exploitation of that vulnerability.
    I recently found an excellent explanation of why I've always been proud to call myself politically correct:

Being cognizant of and careful with the historic trauma of others is what "political correctness" means. It means that the powerful should never attack the disempowered—not because it "offends" them or hurts their "feelings," but because it perpetuates toxic, oppressive systems. Or, in plainer language, because it makes people's lives worse. In tangible ways. For generations.
    Source:
    [url]http://jezebel.com/ricky-gervais-broke-my-heart-1630075731[/url]
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

I have to be honest, I've never liked Ricky Gervais aside from that Office Extras scene way back. It was a very poignant monologue. Ricky Gervais himself never seemed to hit that mark again in anything else, so I always assumed it was Merchant's writing more than his in that scene.

I had this moment with Frankie Boyle to a degree. Initially he had a kind of cutting insight where he twisted perceptions into something funny, taking something horrific and lampshading the stupidity of it. Then over time he got given his own uncensored show, and he devolved into a routine of simple, cruel bashing. Straight-up shaming celebrities with no wit, just shock laughs.

I mean, despite Jeremy Clarkson's constant controversies, I still find him funny because he's basically a character now, and one frequently likened to a dumb ape by his co-hosts. He's an example of an absolute moron.

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post

Sigh. Not just for the comment, but also for the ridiculous hype GoT is getting.

It's like observing a teenager just experiencing Monty Python for the first time.

Quaint and a bit nostalgic at first. Then quickly grating on the nerves.
    Problem is men that age with as many kids never have their family mentioned at all often, certainly not as their main feature like that.

I like Daenerys, but the whole white saviour theme of her plot is really uncomfortable and there are other issues with her characterisation also.

Feel the same way about Ricky Gervais, don't like his humour, respect his opinions on a few things, and he is spot on when it comes to political correctness. also since most peopel who whine about PC have no idea what it really is. Remember that story I posted about a nude painting of a woman with some public hair showing that was taken off from display while other nudes were not? Lots of people having hystereics but 'PC gone MAD' over that in the comments of news articles and blaming feminists despite feminists raging (rightly) about how it promoted patriarchal and impossible beauty ideals and the hypocrisy of allowing nudes with no pubic hair to go on display. Nothing about it involved PC at all but it still got brought up.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Excellent article about why the people attacking Anita Sarkeesian are full of s***.

[url]http://www.newstatesman.com/future-proof/2014/08/tropes-vs-anita-sarkeesian-passing-anti-feminist-nonsense-critique[/url]

Honestly, I have yet to see a single thing she's stated yet that I could disagree with; everything she says is well argued, and supported with plentiful evidence. The only counterarguments I have seen so far have been embarrasingly stupid drivel from men (not seen any female critiques yet) who have no idea what cultural critique or reasoned debate are, nor how to do either effectively. If someone could show me the gaping holes in Sarkeesian's logic, I'd have to agree with them, but so far there haven't been any I can see.

I like Daenerys, but the whole white saviour theme of her plot is really uncomfortable and there are other issues with her characterisation also.
    Oh man, the whole White Saviour thing is SO problematic. This image alone:

I remember the first time I saw it, I actually did a double take. I was all

And as much as I love Emilia Clarke in the role, I can't help but think if they'd just cast black actors as the Targaeryans they could have avoided all this. If anyone complains, just threaten to get GRRM to kill Tyrion, Arya and Brienne while bringing back Joffrey. That'd shut them right the f*** up.

Ive posted the best article on it before, but here it is again:
    [url]http://io9.com/daenerys-whole-storyline-on-game-of-thrones-is-messed-513189766[/url]

I love GoT, I truly do, but man, it has some elements that are SO problematic as to be untrue.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Problem is men that age with as many kids never have their family mentioned at all often, certainly not as their main feature like that.
    Sorry, bit of a editorial error on my part.

My
    Was in reference to your

Oh I know there are plenty of decent players out there, just wish I knew some.
    Mea culpa. I can see how that could get really distorted.

And yes, I do agree that reporters tend to focus more on the children of women executives than men. Which really says something about the general mindset being stuck back in the 30's-40's.
    Da CRIB: Chicago Region Infinity Blog
    http://chicagolandregioninfinityplayersblog.blogspot.com/?m=1

I think Political Correctness has become a buzzword like Health and Safety, where people's conceptions are entirely born from stupid places like The Sun, and thus when you bring it up they roll their eyes and go, "ah that bloody 'elth n'n safety/political correctness tripe! Bloody waste o' time!"

As someone who works in an extremely HSE aware industry, I know that Health and Safety as a concept is a genuine system that saves lives and prevents life-ruining accidents. Guys who whine about putting dust masks on before sanding fibreglass, or wearing their safety boots in the warehouse get no shrift from me, especially when they pull out that bullcrap conkers story as an example every frigging time. (Easiest way to tell if someone's ever worked at a real company before is to see them bring that up as an example of Health and Safety.)

Same as how people always bring up fairy lights being renamed to stop gays getting offended, or Christmas being renamed to stop Muslims being offended, despite these surfacing when I was in high school and never happening.

Jeremy Clarkson is an example of a man/character who constantly derides PC, but whether he's imitating ijits who don't understand what it is or whether he genuinely believes it is another thing. I'd say half the stuff he gets pulled up on is petty, like his comment about the air-con on a car being like an asthmatic blowing at you through a straw. That said, I'm not asthmatic, so I can't claim to understand if that'd offend - I haven't met anyone who was offended, but I know a small number of people. Other things like the comment about truckers murdering prostitutes and the racist one most recently really aren't things even I would find funny.

Also, this article on Friendzoning reminds me why I still read Cracked:
    [URL="http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-reasons-never-to-use-term-friendzone"]http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-reasons-never-to-use-term-friendzone[/URL]

I have to admit, this whole "Friendzone" fad really gets on my nerves,I can't imagine how irritating it is for a girl to deal with.

Chapter-Master

Dentist's decision to sack a woman for being too attractive has been upheld as legal by the all male supreme court in Iowa

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/iowa-supreme-court-attractive-woman-firing_n_3586861.html[/url]
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.