BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 982 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 482882932972980981982983984992 ... LastLast
Results 9,811 to 9,820 of 10008
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Is it primal or societal though?

If we treat wimmins as equals, we'll find out I guess.
    I would say it is the most primal societal bias. We spend so much time with our parents when we are young that they become our benchmarks. Even an absent mother or father can still have a large impact on us.

I do think that a set of parents that treat each other as equals will probably lessen sexism... but not rid us of it. To give an example.. say you have a parent that is always late for things. As the child grows older, they have a subconscious bias that expects that gender to always run a little late.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Atog View Post
    I would say it is the most primal societal bias. We spend so much time with our parents when we are young that they become our benchmarks. Even an absent mother or father can still have a large impact on us.

I do think that a set of parents that treat each other as equals will probably lessen sexism... but not rid us of it. To give an example.. say you have a parent that is always late for things. As the child grows older, they have a subconscious bias that expects that gender to always run a little late.
    The image a person's parents provides is an enormous influence. A lady friend of mine has a terrible mother figure. Manipulative, deceptive, mean spirited, mentally abusive, divisive... it is virtually impossible to find a single good trait in her mom. Her dad was the caring, honest figure in her life. As a result she relates poorly to women, has essentially no female friends and expects the absolute worst from all women. Not sure how a person gets past a perception rooted in an abusive parental relationship.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

You mean like I still can't get my head round the idea of men wallpapering because that's the DIY task my mother has always done?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    A bit like our discussion on female lobotomy ? You stated 74% of ALL procedures were on women. When I asked where you got your figures you gave me........ Sweden 1944 to 1958.
    [url]http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:140147/FULLTEXT01.pdf[/url]

If your going to get uppity because your sources are called into doubt, then make sure you can back up your statements with credible sources and not conformation bias.
    Says the man who once cited A Voice For Men.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

And what have we learned about white, male privilege over the past few hours?

You can be a telly star, and a known racist, sexist homophobe, famed for your 'near the knuckle' racist, sexist and hompophobic comments, because they're 'near the knuckle' racist, sexist and homophobic comments, and that's fine, just fine.

But, throw a punch at another white male, and you're instantly suspended and your programme won't air......
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Funny that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    And what have we learned about white, male privilege over the past few hours?

You can be a telly star, and a known racist, sexist homophobe, famed for your 'near the knuckle' racist, sexist and hompophobic comments, because they're 'near the knuckle' racist, sexist and homophobic comments, and that's fine, just fine.

But, throw a punch at another white male, and you're instantly suspended and your programme won't air......
    All a fuss over nothing. But can't have people at the beeb not toeing the party line can we? If they lose him who else is left that's not guardianista approved?

It's more that he's a deeply unpleasant person, and shouldn't really be given airtime.

by all means, PC needs it's limits - but those limits should be quite far beyond allowing known racist, sexist homophobic bigots do pretty much what they like, because apparently it's all in jest when they expose their racist, sexist homophobic views through their racist, sexist homophobic comments.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I'd like to assume generational ignorance rather than malice, as I've heard several people say he's really nice in person with a lot of time for fans.

plus he did punch piers morgan...

I think the problem is that it is a stage persona, he probably is a nice chap but he is a chap who plays a caricatured, racist, sexist homophobic version of himself. It's become more extreme over time too.