BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 811 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 311711761801809810811812813821861911 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,110 of 10008

Beautiful, also love their impotent nerdrage at asking him a question and then not getting the answer they wanted. 'You can't take people asking for your opinion?' I mean for ****s sake, you asked his opinion and he gave you one you didn't want to hear now you're having a hissy fit.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

seems like Bayonetta 2 is doing rather well in pre-orders as well. I got an email from Game saying that they were taking the money a couple of days early and getting everything boxed up and ready for dispatch sooner than usual because of the volume of orders...

but, you know, a hissy fit on twitter means the game will flop because of nerd rage boycotts...
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Tossers.

And in other news, apparently Ched Evans (convicted rapist) is being defended by his Mum, as she claims he's the victim of a Feminist conspiracy......
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

This article just blew my mind:
    [url]http://gawker.com/douchebag-the-white-racial-slur-we-ve-all-been-waiti-1647954231[/url]
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Bet he'd get more insults if he asked us Britons.... We've got loads of them!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Bet he'd get more insults if he asked us Britons.... We've got loads of them!
    Do we?

I can think of 'chav' and 'toff' as insults that are used against white people here, but those aren't exclusively racial in nature; they're class-based. Not to mention there's a few Black British Tory MPs who are clearly toffs, so the racial component of that slur is arguable.

I can't think of many racial slurs against white people that are exclusive to the UK; the ones that are certainly aren't that powerful. Not like d-bag, which is recognisably an unpleasant thing to be called.

Tosspot, Arsebrain, ****wit, Knobend, Dickhead - all predominantly used in place of racial epithets (such as Paki).

Though they're often a suffix to racial slurs.

Tosspot, Arsebrain, ****wit, Knobend, Dickhead - all predominantly used in place of racial epithets (such as Paki).

Though they're often a suffix to racial slurs.
    Yeah, kind of getting the feeling you didn't read the article, because none of these are racial slurs, they're just slurs. Any insult can be made racial if you add a racial suffix to it.

The article I posted was raising the idea that the word d-bag, very peculiarly and unexpectedly for an insult, has an actual racial component against white males - which the words you list do not. Now this is important because historically, there have been no insults against white males. There have been insults against their country of origin - mick for an Irish person for example - but none against white guys in general. Which makes sense, given that white guys own the world. If you think about it, there are almost no words which can insult white, middle-class men and only white, middle-class males; a key argument you suggestions miss, because they can be thrown at literally anyone. For example, dickhead could apply to anyone; it simply connotes idiocy. 'Slut' is primarily (and has, historically) been used against women only. Now, some may argue that it can be used against men - that is true, the word is changing somewhat. However, there is significantly more pain in being called a 'slut' if you're a woman that a man because of a number of powerful cultural beliefs about the nature of women and sexuality that simply don't apply to men. 'Chav' only applies to a particularly demonised class of working poor. Use it against someone middle class and it sounds stupid, like calling a dog a ladder. Just as a dog is not a ladder, a middle class person is not a chav. As a metaphor or adverb, maybe it works ('Those clothes are chavvy') but then, you're not actually implying the person is a chav, merely that they share qualities with a chav, so the insult is directed primarily at the underclass, as well as at the target. In any insult, you have to follow the flow of power to see who the target is and how it's working to maintain the status quo.

D-bag, by contrast, has acquired a specific kind of implication of maleness to it. Of a white, entitled guy who thinks he's the apex of creation because of his white entitled-ness. Donald Trump for example. He's a mad, sad old man who feels he should be taken seriously because he's white and entitled. He is a d-bag. You could call a woman a d-bag and it wouldn't be quite as powerful. The connotations are different.

So, yes, you are right, England has plenty of good insults. Not saying we don't. But the article is quite long and involved with some very interesting points made about the use of insults in history, and it's actually raising kind of an interesting point about the changing nature of language and racially-charged language. Not just saying 'Hey we need some insults now.'
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 10-19-2014 at 11:52 AM.

I read it that most insults against whites are class based - stuff like Redneck etc.

I was giving examples of a great many 'class free' (in so many senses ) insults we use.

Take 'wanker'. That's a d-bag style insult. Wouldn't call a woman a wanker. Wouldn't be used against someone of a different skin colour (there are racist ones for that). It's predominantly a white bloke insult.

Thinking about it, it's almost perfect as a white male insult - it's saying that despite their every advantage in life, they're still a failure as a man, as they have to toss themselves off, because they can't get anyone else to do it for them.

I'd hardly call it "perfect," because it reinforces the idea that "getting anyone else to do it for them" is an ideal to strive towards.