BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 387 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397437487887 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 10008
    Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well, the evidence is quite clear that there is no hierarchy beyond cub -> adult so whatever.

I will just leave this here. Make sure you listen out for the dialogue at 1:07. As much as I like you EG. This time your wrong . These guys lived with this pack for 6 years which is pretty awesome.

Face licking is a sign of submission amongst wolves and dogs, this goes back to when they are pups. Puppies lick the face of returning adult and dominating members to encourage the regurgitation of food brought back to the den. This is carried though to adulthood. Our pet dogs do it too (if you let them) to show your their pack leader.
    Talking of pet dogs, they too love in a hierarchy thanks to inherited behaviour from wolves. All pet dogs with recognise one of the human members of their family as the Alpha or should if your training them correctly.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 12-27-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Read the article I posted. I'm going to trust the word of numerous experts with decades of experience, one of whom was responsible for perpetuating the alpha wolf theory in the 70s and has since admitted he was wrong, over some guys who lived with wolves. People have internal biases and that colours their interpretation of behaviour, if you have grown up reading about the alpha wolf theory (which is still widely believed today despite being complete bollocks) you will interpret what you see in wolves through that bias.

Not to mention that submissive and dominant behaviour doesn't automatically equate to an alpha/beta male. It is the notion that there is some kind of biological order in which the biggest, strongest male dominates all others which is false, not that some animals may be more dominant or submissive than others.
    Last edited by eldargal; 12-27-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I love Dogs, me.

Done right, they're kept in a juvenile state.

They have a strange approach to ambition though. They need their place in the pack, and once placed there, they're typically happy where they are.

Is it the traditional concept of Alpha dominance? I dunno. But there is a hierarchy.

Reading the linked article, and without having read it's source materials, I do find it to be splitting hairs.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

I prefer cats. There is no dominance; there is no submission; there is only indifference.

P.S. Eldargal is totally right about the wolves.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

What's the point in (and putting it charitably) an indifferent pet?

Dogs become part of your family, and are proven to be empathetic with their folks.

Cats r rubbish! Rubbish in their silly feline faces!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Rissan4ever View Post
    P.S. Eldargal is totally right about the wolves.
    [url]http://animals.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/mammals/wolf/[/url]

I'll stick with National Geographic thanks

Brother-Captain

I prefer the company of equals. When I'm with a dog, I feel like I'm hanging out with someone who is less intelligent than me. When I'm with a cat, I feel like I'm hanging out with someone who is at least as cunning as I am.

Also, cats can be affectionate, too. They just show it a more subdued way. I'm introverted, so I prefer the more subtle approach of the cat.
    Last edited by Rissan4ever; 12-27-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Iron Father

I prefer the company of equals. When I'm with a dog, I feel like I'm hanging out with someone who is less intelligent than me. When I'm with a cat, I feel like I'm hanging out with someone who is at least as cunning as I am.
    I am rather fond of both myself, but at least with a dog you know he or she has got your back if the **** hits the fan. A cat, not so much.

Chapter-Master

But it's a step in the right direction. This is the first time I've ever heard of toy weapons being marketed to girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    I want pink nerf guns. >.<
    I'm pretty sure I've seen them somewhere. the normal ones in pink...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I was more meaning the advert itself.
    oh

I prefer cats. There is no dominance; there is no submission; there is only indifference.
    I don't know about dominant, but cats certainly look down on you...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

*shrug* They're both good teams.