BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 426 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 326376416424425426427428436476526926 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,260 of 10008

What I'm saying is, have you NEVER had any thoughts about objectifying your chosen sexuality?
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Occuli Imperator

I was quoting directly from the source, not putting my own spin on it like a certain blogger.

So of that unaccounted 50%, any amount could be joint ownership.

A better statistic would be complete like this (my figures are made up btw)

%of agricultural land owners
    20% Female
    10% Joint (based on a marriage rate of around 20%)
    40% Male
    30% Leased

So comparing the 20% to 40% does suggest men are twice as likely to own agricultural land than women in this made up place, but just presenting the headling 20% figure implies that 80% is owned by men, which is 4 times the ownership.

I am not disputing that there may be a problem with the distribution of agricultural land, my problem is the way in which some statistics are bounded around. Indeed, there is only really a problem with the land distribution if female farmers are being actively discriminated against land ownership.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Then rather than just posting vague, possibly rhetorical, questions why not contribute your thoughts on how all people can lessen the problems we're bringing up? If you think there is another implication, why not share it? If you feel that a certain stance is objectifying people, tell us why. You can't complain about a lack of real communication on an issue if you never actually put forward a point of your own (and just saying "I disagree" is not a point to start with).
    Honestly?

Education

Teaching the next generations not to be bigoted entitled ****s is the only real way we'll solve this problem and many other social, economic and environmental problems. Furthermore a lot of the modern attempts at enforcing equal rights (mandatory female presence in boardrooms and the like, regardless of qualifications) read very tit for tat.

Perhaps its not much but at the end of the day any of us can reliably ENSURE happens is that we ourselves never judge someone based upon gender, race or religion or any other thing that humans will find as a reason to justify bigotry.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    What I'm saying is, have you NEVER had any thoughts about objectifying your chosen sexuality?
    I have, but I've never claimed to be perfect (and acknowledge it as a negative trait), so I'm really not sure what the point of the question is.

I have, but I've never claimed to be perfect (and acknowledge it as a negative trait), so I'm really not sure what the point of the question is.
    Then how can any of you criticise anyone for objectifying?
    Humanity is flawed, we still rely on our animalistic instincts. Men objectify women, men objectify men, women objectify men, women objectify women, and sometimes people objectify animals, because they're weird.

So how can you all complain about men doing it when we are all equally as sinful...?

Banned

Because flaws are inherently undesirable traits, so acknowledging and working against them is a good thing? You don't like swearing, and criticise others for it - does that mean if you've ever sworn in your life you should stop from criticising people who swear excessively?
    I used to have anger management issues, but I worked on them and repaired that flaw in myself. Doesn't mean I can't say to someone with the same issues "that is not cool, and is really hard for the people around you to deal with". If anything I feel that being able to speak to a peer who has had similar life experiences and can relate to the issue is better as they can relate to the struggle.
    And given the widely varying takes on beauty and sexuality throughout history and around the world much of what constitutes sexuality in the western world is a learned trait, so it can also be unlearned.

Chapter-Master

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Because flaws are inherently undesirable traits, so acknowledging and working against them is a good thing? You don't like swearing, and criticise others for it - does that mean if you've ever sworn in your life you should stop from criticising people who swear excessively?
    I used to have anger management issues, but I worked on them and repaired that flaw in myself. Doesn't mean I can't say to someone with the same issues "that is not cool, and is really hard for the people around you to deal with". If anything I feel that being able to speak to a peer who has had similar life experiences and can relate to the issue is better as they can relate to the struggle.
    And given the widely varying takes on beauty and sexuality throughout history and around the world much of what constitutes sexuality in the western world is a learned trait, so it can also be unlearned.
    I am improving myself by controlling swearing, sooooooooo.... yeah...

Banned

So you're agreeing with me then that someone can see something as problematic but still do/have done it themselves?

Brother-Captain

So you're agreeing with me then that someone can see something as problematic but still do/have done it themselves?
    I can definitely agree with that. I've cheated in a relationship, but I see it as a mistake I will never repeat, and I do not condone such behavior in other people. Just because I've done it, too, doesn't make it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder
    Teaching the next generations not to be bigoted entitled ****s is the only real way we'll solve this problem and many other social, economic and environmental problems.
    Precisely. If we don't act like jerks, treat each other with dignity and respect, and teach our kids to do the same, the culture will shift in a positive direction. It's the small things that ordinary people do in their daily lives that makes a real difference. Legal changes are important, but if the culture doesn't change - if WE do not change - then none of it matters.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!