BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 476 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486526576976 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,760 of 10008
    Brother-Captain

Meh. Weirder things have been done by weirder people.
    Although coming from a family of gingers who tend towards the portly I'm safe in thinking this will never happen to me.
    Read the lego article, and the comments below it.
    I think that it may have missed the point somewhat, these kits are the result of market research to EXPAND lego's market.
    They already had the girls who wanted non-pink lego that wasn't about cake. Now they have the pink cake likers too. That same range has female characters who've built their own tree-house, who play electric guitar in a band, and who stay behind at school to do science. Noticing a theme here? It's broad spectrum.
    Frankly I'm more let down that they have the creativity free action figure style kits like hero-factory.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Illustrates the deep contempt teevee executives have for young women really doesn't it.
    And yet there is sadly a huge market for this kind of crap. Seriously were in the minority when it comes to opinions on this rubbish, or else why would they keep making it ?
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Yeah and as someone pointed out the Friends kits give you a lot of options for different business the regular city has. The main issue for me is that they segregated it from the main Lego City range and produced those idiotic new minifigs.>< Does not approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    And yet there is sadly a huge market for this kind of crap. Seriously were in the minority when it comes to opinions on this rubbish, or else why would they keep making it ?
    It's not just young women that watch it and not all young women watch it. Women aren't a hive mind, we have different tastes and this kind of thinking it poisonous. They aren't creating a channel for young women, they are creating a channel for what they think of us young women based off a small demographic of a handful of similar shows. The message they are sending isn't 'some women like this stuff' but 'women like this stuff' and as this stuff is so ****ing superficial and stupid the message is 'women like superficial and brainless stuff because they are superficial and brainless'. What this boils down to is gendering television, like enough things aren't gendered as it is. Did you know Top Gear has a 40% female audience? If that were onITV do you think for a moment they would put it on the womens channel? **** no.
    Last edited by eldargal; 02-12-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

its not the hand on the waist, its the positioning behind her arse.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    [URL="http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/blogs/healthy-living/stephanie-seymour-s-mother-son-photos--what-s-wrong-with-this-picture-195000708.html"]I don't know what I think of this[/URL]. On one hand, all consenting adults. On the other, that's their mother. Nothing untoward actually happens but the posing is provocative, different from just not sexualising human bodies or being prudes in the home. On yet another hand it neatly illustrates how we put up with exactly this type of photography everywhere and think nothing about it until an added layer of ickiness is added.

I mean it neatly illustrates how sexualised womens bodies are to the point a boy can't put his hand on his mothers bare waist without it eliciting a visceral reaction in the viewer, on the other hand, eww.><
    This kind of thing is just a publicity stunt, using shock tactics.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

So, are female plod having too many doughnuts to stay equally as fit as their male counterparts?

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10634981/Policewomen-in-their-hundreds-fail-fitness-tests.html[/url]
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Occuli Imperator

A universal test of fitness. Doesn't seem unreasonable, similiarly, it doesn't seem unreasonable that both men and women are required to reach the same minimum level, after all they are doing the same job.

I think that there should be compulsory tests for fitness for all front line responders, (maybe not so much ambulance crew).

In a move that I think EG will approve of, I was sat in a governance meeting today and noted that I was one of two males in a room of 10. I was also the youngest person their, so the tables have turned, stop the oppression of men now!
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

It's a little sensationalist though, I mean yes 70% of the officers who failed were women but it was still only 350 failures all up out of 13000 I mean that's a failure rte of 2.7% or something? It would be interesting to know why women are more likely to fail this test, whether they are biased against women and what support they are getting to help improve their fitness given the different cultural attitudes to women exercising compared to men.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

You know me I hate sensationalist stats. (Stats which are technically correct, but couched in such terms as to look like something that they are not).
    Yup failure rate of about 2.7% the female failures account for 1.9% ish. Of course to determine if it is a male/female issue, then a % of gender would be more useful.
    But yes, root cause analysis would be useful. You would also hope that if there is a requirement to be at a minimum fitness level then there should be time set aside for fitness training, though I can imagine people being up in arms that bobbies time is wasted doing cardio not doing their jobs.
    I would imagine the difference is a cultural one.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni