BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 606 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 106506556596604605606607608616656706 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,060 of 10008

A fair and valid assessment of these pathetic idiots.

[url]http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-uncomfortable-truths-behind-mens-rights-movement/[/url]
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

It's so important that popular websites like Cracked are taking on misogyny/the patriarchy like that, they reach an awful lot of people.

[URL="http://thisfeliciaday.tumblr.com/post/87721148824/would-you-consider-yourself-feminist"]The ever awesome Felicia Day[/URL]:
    would you consider yourself feminist?
    Yes.

Feminist: One who supports the cause of feminism.

Feminism: The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.

Pretty simple to support, huh? Man or woman. I think the only reason a person who believes in equality of the sexes would NOT call herself/himself a feminist is because of people who have distorted the perception of the word as a dirty and shameful label the past few decades. But if you reject the word based on how THEY have shaped the perception of it, in an insidious way, you’re letting them define you.

Go back to the REAL definition of the word, not THEIR distorted definition, and see if it is something you believe in. And can be proud to call yourself. Man OR woman. And go from there.

Because, if you break it down, if you are NOT a feminist, then you do NOT believe in equal rights for men and women. Is that what you believe? Or is it that you’re rejecting what the label has been distorted into?

It used to be that “geek” was a dirty word, too. A shameful label. Not anymore, thank goodness.

"Feminist" needs a transformation like that too. It’s overdue.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

The average prison sentence of men who kill their women partners is 2 to 6 years. Women who kill their male partners are sentenced on average to 15 years. This is despite the fact that 86% of female offenders kill in self-defense, while males are most likely to kill out of possessiveness (82%), abuse (75%) and during arguments (63%). Women are eight times more likely than men to be killed by an intimate partner.
    [URL="http://www.purpleberets.org/pdf/bat_women_prison.pdf"]Source[/URL]
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

That's a very worrying fact sheet. Though I would like to see it updated so that it's newest studies aren't 20 years old. There *might* have been an improvement in the figures. (I at least would like to hope so, though that could just be a triumph of hope over experiance). Those figures would also be interesting to breakdown between ethnicity. (Though that isn't the point of the tread really).
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Banned

Also:

Here’s an example of sexism in the media. It’s very subtle, but it’s insidious, and it’s everywhere.

Men’s washroom and women’s washroom, each with an ad in the mirror. Both ads are for the same car. However, the text is slightly changed - in the men’s, it tells you that you look a million bucks but would look even better in that car. In the women’s, it gives you concern that you’re having a bad hair day but that’d be okay if you had that car.

The men’s ad assumes you’re confident and powerful and tries to optimize that image. The women’s ad undermines your opinion of yourself and tells you how to fix it.

Chapter-Master

Not quite, it doesn't actually say You look like a million bucks the IF is important. You have to possess a certain amount of narcissism for it to work.
    But certainly the womens one is more negative.

But even more importantly, what are they doing taking selfies in public toilets?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    That's a very worrying fact sheet. Though I would like to see it updated so that it's newest studies aren't 20 years old. There *might* have been an improvement in the figures. (I at least would like to hope so, though that could just be a triumph of hope over experiance). Those figures would also be interesting to breakdown between ethnicity. (Though that isn't the point of the tread really).
    A breakdown by ethnicity would be nice, racism does intersect with sexism in a spectacular and too often ignored fashion, especially in 'merica.

Chapter-Master

Patricia Lockwood and The Rape Joke

[url]http://www.theawl.com/2013/07/rape-joke-patricia-lockwood[/url]

and an article regarding reviews of it

[url]http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/06/last-a-woman-reviews-patricia-lockwood.html?om_rid=AABYl4&om_mid=_BTkMeUB86ZRNkB[/url]
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quick question.

Woman has low self esteem, and apparently tends to go all the way on a first date (which is likely part of the low self esteem).

I don't go all the way on a first date. And I fully intend on second and subsequent dates.

So, if after the first date she wants to take it further, should I politely decline, and just instead arrange the second date? After all, if her self esteem is as low as I fear it could be, the 'not wanting sex' could make her feel like I don't fancy her/find her physically attractive (I do!), so despite best intentions, I could do harm.

99.9% sure I should stick to my guns, and just explain not on a first date.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Banned

If you don't want to you shouldn't. Now obvs it isn't a matter of not wanting to ever but wanting to do it with someone you know well enough so just explain it clearly and that you do want to see her again (also setting a date then is a good idea so she knows you mean it) and I think it should be fine.