BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 655 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 155555605645653654655656657665705755 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,550 of 10008

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    So are we just going to re-label this thread the anti-Caucasian male thread? because apparently actually producing stats is only a thing when it supports an anti-majority viewpoint
    I've posted huge amounts of evidence in these topics actually. Look at all the stuff about women being marginalised in science, tech etc. The pay gap, the article from your country showing that a survey of business people said their idel employee was a white male without kids etc. Also Caucasian people are people of colour, they aren't white. And it is not anti-white it is anti-privilege.

Look at boardrooms, look at parliaments, look at company owners, look anywhere and you see plenty of men who were not academically proficient being very successful because we live in a society that lets them do so while women HAVE to proof themselves. Take Hollywood, some guy directed a really popular viral ad and was but in charge of a two hundred million dollar film. In the meantime the handful of successful female directors have to fight to direct films with half that budget and agencies will say outright they are just keeping one woman on their books because that is enough. It is far easier to get ahead

[URL="http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/08/minority-ethnic-workers-more-often-unemployed"]White people more likely to be employed in the UK[/URL]

[URL="http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/the-workforce-is-even-more-divided-by-race-than-you-think/281175/"]A similararticle from America[/URL]

[URL="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/how-to-make-25-million-be-a-man-go-to-university/article17135247/"]Another article about teh earnings gap between educated men and women[/URL]

Then look at the social stigma attached to being a career driven woman. Bad mother, b1tch, bossy, unlikeable etc. All those surveys which find that men don't like successful women and on and on it goes. Then the whole thing about women being steered away from 'male' roles like business, leadership positions, politics and ven sport, STEM fields etc. ALL this is related to male privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    You could make an argument that ethnic minority parents give more support to their children because they know they have to work harder to overcome their disadvantageous position in life whilst white parents expect to be helped more by the state.
    Yup, migrant work ethic is often stronger but they also need it to be.
    Last edited by eldargal; 07-10-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I've posted huge amounts of evidence in these topics actually.
    That was my point, you of all people should know better than to brush aside an actual informed source with some flippant, "Because" statement.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    That was my point, you of all people should know better than to brush aside an actual informed source with some flippant, "Because" statement.
    I wasn't? I was just making the point that despite a well-documented under performance by boys and men at school compared to girls they still get rewarded with higher pay, more promotions and more leadership positions in companies and institutions.

[URL="http://careers.theguardian.com/careers-blog/graduate-gender-pay-gap-university-subject"]Female graduated earn less than men who studies the same course[/URL].
    But, according to HECSU's reseach, a gap persists even if men and women have the same qualifications. Female law graduates, for instance, can expect to earn 28% less than men at the start of their careers. They earn just over £20,000 on average – nearly £8,000 less than their male counterparts. This was despite that fact that more women than men applied to study law at university, out of those surveyed
    The only difference here is gender. Women are devalued, womens labour is devalued and female dominated industries are devalued because we live in a society that unconsciously values men more. That is male privilege. The work done by a man is valued higher than that of a woman even when the work is identical.
    Last edited by eldargal; 07-10-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    What are the sisters of avalorn in the High Elves?

They *look* female to me...
    Reread my post, I said HUMAN females.

Sure, GW has released stylized xeno/elf females, but not normal human females. As long as it's veiled under the context of some sort of alien, demon or elf it's ok but a reasonable facsimile of a human woman is taboo for their "core" product.

All humans, core product, have been male for the last 10 years. Now THAT is homogeneous.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Occuli Imperator

You are quite right you did say human.

Would "Eowyn Foot and Mounted" count within your 10 year period? Also technically, they make a number of female models all the time to replenish stocks. Now certainly the issue is releasing new female miniatures is another question.

Also on the gounds of homogeneous, most things are not human, yet our existence shows that alien species make up just 0% of existence so GW is serious under representing humans, with only the imperial guard and sisters as humans.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I can't help but feel there's a lot of stereotyping here.

I personally report to my female manager, who has a female manager above her, and several female project managers. I don't ever think how they're all, "bossy femdogs," mainly because they're actually really nice to work with. Especially compared to my previous, minimum wage work.

We can talk forever about how women are underrepresented in a hundred industries across the globe. For example, in the offshore industry most women take on environmentalist roles while most men take on an engineering role. There are variances, sure, but that's typically how it falls. That's not to say the women aren't well-educated and knowledgeable. They are, (far more than I am, at least.) However, in my department I'm the only one that pursued an Electronics-oriented career, and thus end up a bit out of sync with the rest of them as they have a more biology-oriented mindset.

Granted, I never saw a girl in my classes during the two colleges I studied Electronics in, though there were a few in my GCSE course. Is this due to their general preferences, oppression or otherwise? I don't know, I lack the data to fully gain a picture of it. Another example that springs to mind, as a fan of orchestral soundtracks, is that female composers are virtually non-existent. The only one I've found in Western culture is Deborah Lurie, and even then she was brought in to support Danny Elfman rather than take the reins herself. Yet over in Japan, there are loads of female composers: Yoko Kanno, Yuki Kajiura, and several more that I'm still discovering. It's a strange divide and I don't know what's preventing women from careers in composition over here.

It's hard for me not to ignore that men typically cannot pursue some careers without seeming gay. Typically, anything to do with fashion, hairdressing, or simply anything to do with looking good that a man works in means they are gay. You do ballet dancing? Must be gay. I can imagine it's very difficult for a straight person in those situations to not face ridicule and slander while doing the career they enjoy.

TL;DR, people are a flawed creation and much is still to be done to fix them, yet the work will never be fully completed, merely repeatedly polished.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Iron Father

Stereotyping here in the oubliette ? Never happens
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Captain

Speaking of females in musical roles, the amount of ingrained sexism in the leadership positions of some of the most famous orchestras in the world is astounding. I'm meaning stuff like a female trombonist having to spend years dragging her employer to court to get the same benefits as the less experienced and skilled males did automatically, while the conductor spent all of his time refusing to work with her and trying to come up with excuses to fire her. (Which turns out to be tricky when the blind screen test resulted in her being chosen ahead of her male colleagues each and every time. So the conductor attempted to have that abolished so that women could be excluded from the beginning.)
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    You are quite right you did say human.

Would "Eowyn Foot and Mounted" count within your 10 year period? Also technically, they make a number of female models all the time to replenish stocks. Now certainly the issue is releasing new female miniatures is another question.

Also on the gounds of homogeneous, most things are not human, yet our existence shows that alien species make up just 0% of existence so GW is serious under representing humans, with only the imperial guard and sisters as humans.
    Hmm, not sure that counts since she isn't a part of "mankind" haha :P There is as well the irony that she is disguised as a man.

TBH I totally forgot about LotR since it often doesn't seem like part of GW's line. The development of those mini's is guided by Warner Bros so it's not as if GW's dev team just sits back and decides what they want to create from the films. Take that for what you will.

Point being that GW has an aversion to releasing female figs in the last 10 years, and in the cases in which they do, it is reserved for the periphery armies of their games and never the core releases (and never ever human, other than in the one instance it's disguised as a man as commissioned by a multi-billion dollar corporation).

On a side note, I find it humorous that Dab can seriously argue that ignoring half a race's population makes the army less homogeneous. Maybe you should look up the meaning of that word and consider using a different adjective. That's like saying the Olympics were less homogeneous pre-1980s when many women's sports were added when in fact adding more games for both genders has added a great deal more variety in general.
    Last edited by Harley; 07-10-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Occuli Imperator

Most people forget LoTR...

Surely adding more identical sports but in different sex is just adding more homogeneousness, that is more of the same. Maybe they should just have 1 event and the best regardless of sex compete. Now that's equality!

I do agree with your overriding point though that amongst humans there are very few female moulds. I should say for the record that I don't count space marines (of any flavour) to be human, as they are transhuman. So we are left with Sisters and Imperial Guard (or whatever they wish to be called now).

Sisters are left in a strange limbo. I think that they could be a great army, but they need proper thought to make them more than just female "space marines". I just hope that they have justice done to them.

The IG is another one where it would not be difficult to as a minimum include a female head or two in the standard box. There is an argument that super fit female in standard combat fatigues and flakk jacket would only be distinguishable because of a more feminine face. Obviously an out and out fmeale sculpt would be better, as long as it wasn't some bizarre characature.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni