BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 720 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 220620670710718719720721722730770820 ... LastLast
Results 7,191 to 7,200 of 10008

Crass, vulgar and not a little sexist.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    It is a little low brow ins't it.
    The Sun In A Nutshell.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    The Sun In A Nutshell.
    I don't do red tops
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Banned

Perfect reaction lol.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Sexism, irony, lies and stupidity all in one post! Amazing!

Mind you, I don't think I know anyone who would accept fashion or indeed general lifestyle tips from a Hipster....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Firstly, regarding the Sun article, low brow humour aside (I agree it is not the Sun's wittiest), for a Commanding Officer to be removed from post, blameworthy in accordance with Queen's Regulations paragraph 1027 (or whatever the Navy use), then a certain burden of proof will have been met. Although not evidential in terms of courtroom standards, believe me, on the balance of probability, she did it. In this litigious society when what has happened has just been done in public, and will affect her promotion for 2 years minimum, she did it - or she could now sue like hell.

If she has any standards at all, when caught out she would have confessed.

Secondly, regarding the thing EG just put on, gentlemen don't wear hats in doors. Therefore one shouldn't give a rooty rat fu*k what idiot brain things of women in make up.

Pip pip,
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/KirstenIGMB/media/BuimGlqCYAAKbcs_zps1197865a.png.html][/URL]
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Firstly, regarding the Sun article, low brow humour aside (I agree it is not the Sun's wittiest), for a Commanding Officer to be removed from post, blameworthy in accordance with Queen's Regulations paragraph 1027 (or whatever the Navy use), then a certain burden of proof will have been met. Although not evidential in terms of courtroom standards, believe me, on the balance of probability, she did it. In this litigious society when what has happened has just been done in public, and will affect her promotion for 2 years minimum, she did it - or she could now sue like hell.
    Sure, if you trust a male, macho culture dominated institution to give her a fair hearing. I don't. Women are routinely disciplined and dismissed from positions in academia, corporations and public office for offenses which don't even warrant a warning for men. Like asking for a pay rise.

I know a lot of people here have had trouble with the idea that our society teaches us things that are ultimately harmful to women without us being consciously aware of it, here is a good example to illustrate it though:

This three-legged decorated war hero had one leg lost to surgery after taking four rounds from an AK-47.
    I think those eyes say a lot more than that. He’s seen more than I ever will, done more than I’ll ever do, and his war will never be over.
    He’s got Ranger scrolls on his collar. That dog is a god damn hero.
    I can’t not reblog this dog… his you
    Eyes say so much
    I’ve never seen a dog with such a face like that. Like an old man who went to war and if you ask him about he just stiffens up and face turns to stone.
    Layka is a lady dog. Let’s remember that.

Now, it’s an understandable problem - our socialization instantly encourages us to see this rugged, sleek, military animal as a male. Three-legged hero dog with military decorations and stern-appearing eyes? TOTALLY A DUDE DOG, JUST LOOK AT HIM. It’s a programmed response, and nothing to be ashamed of - let’s just be accurate and note that Layka’s a female.

I’ve highlighted all the reblogs above where Layka is described as a hero, an old man, with male pronouns - rather than the fierce, charming heroine she is. It’s kind of a teachable moment: how does an image of an animal, displaying absolutely no secondary sex characteristics, instantly give us these fictional headcanons about its gender and gender performance? It’s an impressive demonstration of our ability to translate body language.

The photographer who took this compelling shot noted that Layka’s playful, bouncy energy made it nearly impossible for him to get a shot with her mouth closed! He ended up having to stop using the tennis ball he was using to get her attention, because it made her too excited and smiley. Based on the photos below, I think she’d have quite a sense of humor about the “where’s the tennis ball?” game!
    Of course, the photographer did end up connecting with a fundamental aspect of Layka’s nature in the cover photo; her serious, soldier side. But that’s not all the animal is. Does the dog in the unused shots still resemble an “old man?” Is the dog in the unused shots male or female? Is it still a hero with its tongue out? Is it still admirable without a “face like stone?”

This is what I mean when I say that we have to examine the lenses of culture and society that we are always, always looking through when we talk about science biology.
    [URL="http://seananmcguire.tumblr.com/post/94072312495/elodieunderglass-gimmeagoodcoldbeer"]Source[/URL]. So you see because of the way our culture teaches us to view certain traits we make certain assumptions without consciously realising we are doing it. Like assuming War Hero Dog = Male. I did it myself. This is exactly the sort of thing feminists mean when we talk about society teaching us that it is ok to objectify and sexualise women or that we are taught that women are less competent and all that sort of thing. It isn't conscious, it isn't literally someone from on high shouting 'Women suck at science!' it is a whole web of cultural values and perceptions we are steeped in from birth that contribute to societal inequality.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I just see a doggy in need of a good fuss. Because that's what I do with doggies.