BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 803 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 303703753793801802803804805813853903 ... LastLast
Results 8,021 to 8,030 of 10008
    Chapter-Master

The US system is fairly complex. Federal law overrules state law but most issues are decided at the state level. In fact, some issues can not legally be decided at the federal level. Added to that, the population generally dislikes the federal government dictating things. The system is meant to allow people of different regions/beliefs to govern themselves within the framework of their majority without being subjected to what other areas want. Overall it diffuses a lot of tension that would come from a central government setting all of the rules.

Still the federal government can overrule state laws as we see happening with the same sex marriage issue that is working through the country at the moment.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

[url=http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2014-10-09/male-attacker-beaten-up-by-school-girl-when-he-grabbed-her-in-a-park/]Makes you want to laugh, but although this worked out well, it's still not at all funny.[/url]
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

from that BBC article "Despite the killing being premeditated - the defendant armed himself with an iron bar before going to find his victim - the minimum term was reduced by the appeal court."

this is the bit that infuriates me. A friend of my mum's was killed by her estranged husband. he went to her house with a knife and repeatedly stabbed her. he was found guilty of manslaughter and given two years because he made testimony about how much he loved her and he hadn't planned to kill her, despite going there with a knife. character witnesses were refused by the court, so nobody was allowed to stand up and point out that he was lying, had multiple affairs, and had previously been violent.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    [url=http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2014-10-09/male-attacker-beaten-up-by-school-girl-when-he-grabbed-her-in-a-park/]Makes you want to laugh, but although this worked out well, it's still not at all funny.[/url]
    Sometimes I think that instead of gym and sports we should be giving girls compulsory self defence classes in schools, because it's sadly needed.

[URL="http://themarysue.tumblr.com/post/100117941417/everyone-go-watch-the-history-boys"]I can vouch for the accuracy of this[/URL]. History is literally elite men talking about other elite men and spinning their monumental **** ups.
    Last edited by eldargal; 10-15-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    this is the bit that infuriates me.
    [URL="http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/10/grayson-perry-rise-and-fall-default-man"]From this article[/URL]:

"Chris Huhne (60, Westminster, PPE Mag*dalen, self-destructively heterosexual), the Default Man we chose to interview for our series, pooh-poohed any suggestion when asked if he benefited from membership or if he represented this group. Lone Default Man will never admit to, or be fully aware of, the tribal advantages of his identity. They are, naturally, full subscribers to that glorious capitalist project, they are individuals!

This adherence to being individuals is the nub of the matter. Being “individual” means that if they achieve something good, it is down to their own efforts. They got the job because they are brilliant, not because they are a Default Man, and they are also presumed more competent by other Default Men. If they do something bad it is also down to the individual and not to do with their gender, race or class.

If a Default Man commits a crime it is not because fraud or sexual harassment, say, are endemic in his tribe (coughs), it is because he is a wrong ’un.

If a Default Man gets emotional it is because he is a “passionate” individual, whereas if he were a woman it would often be blamed on her sex.

When we talk of identity, we often think of groups such as black Muslim lesbians in wheelchairs. This is because identity only seems to become an issue when it is challenged or under threat. Our classic Default Man is rarely under existential threat; consequently, his identity remains unexamined. It ambles along blithely, never having to stand up for its rights or to defend its homeland.

When talking about identity groups, the word “community” often crops up. The working class, gay people, black people or Muslims are always represented by a “community leader”. We rarely, if ever, hear of the white middle-class community. “Communities” are defined in the eye of Default Man. Community seems to be a euphemism for the vulnerable lower orders. Community is “other”.

Communities usually seem to be embattled, separate from society. “Society” is what Default Man belongs to."

Yup.

I had a bit of a pop at someone on Facebook the other day for claiming he's been marginalised in politics.

White male, in the UK. Marginalised? Rather than - someone born with several pretty big strings to their bows still made nothing of their life, trying to convince everyone it's someone else's fault, and playing the victim.

Sadly he hit back with even more self-pitying winky-envy nonsense - including an ad hominem attack that because I'm doing ok for myself, I've somehow 'sold out' and am just 'the man's female canine'.

So I told him to shut up.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Humans real annoy me (like the entire species) they are to emotionally driven, illogical, impulsive, self biased, and generally un co-operative amongst them selves, I've seen rats co-operate better to survive
    Long live the glorious nagash supreme lord of the undead and immortal king. Emotionally imparred autistic with a tendency towards obsessing on near useless topics like dinosaurs

Chapter-Master

trolls and the internet, attacking women with authority

[url]http://www.newstatesman.com/helen-lewis/2014/10/battle-against-internet-trolls-shows-compelling-story-will-always-beat-cold-hard[/url]
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Exactly challenge the narrative

Fight the trolls

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Wow three women that support gamergate, that total invalidates the hundreds of other women writing eloquently against it and neutralises the inherent misogyny in targeting only women journalists and their supporters who did literally nothing to deserve any of it. A few people on 4chan and 8chan fighting harassment also doesn't negate the fact there are organised groups on both sites who are fueling GG.

The trouble with Gamer Gate is that it started out attacking the developer of a FREE game for sleeping with a games journalist who NEVER reviewed her game at a time she was separated from her boyfriend anyway. That is how it started. That a few people have been conned into thinking it has something to do with actual journalistic integrity is sad. Everyone has known the games media is extraordinarily corrupt but they aren't going after IGN and Activision and EA and the big corporate entities they are targeting primarily female independent developers and anyone who dares call themselves a feminist.
    Last edited by eldargal; 10-16-2014 at 04:52 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!