BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 852 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 352752802842850851852853854862902952 ... LastLast
Results 8,511 to 8,520 of 10008

Mystery, I decided that sense wasn't really going anywhere, so out came the Mountain Goat pictures.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

it is not about abusive names, what happens is that you tend to reach a point where you get fed up. you are with us for most of the discussion, then you decide that something has gone too far, and you turn on EG and declare that she is being hysterical and aggressive and unreasonable and damaging. you know it is true, it happens every time a big issue comes up.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Mystery, I decided that sense wasn't really going anywhere, so out came the Mountain Goat pictures.
    Yes. Spamming. Adding nothing to a conversation you brought nothing to in the first place.

Well done. Because you couldn't, you know, just sort of not post in a thread you felt wasn't going anywhere.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    it is not about abusive names, what happens is that you tend to reach a point where you get fed up. you are with us for most of the discussion, then you decide that something has gone too far, and you turn on EG and declare that she is being hysterical and aggressive and unreasonable and damaging. you know it is true, it happens every time a big issue comes up.
    Yep your right there, but then I do generally think exactly that. Hysterical, aggressive, unreasonable and damaging. Yes I do think she can be.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 11-17-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

lol, ok then.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    That's the sort of person from the field whose opinion is more relevant, though she clearly does care.
    Katie Mack again: "I think there were more women represented on the #shirtstorm shirt than in the mission control rooms for #CometLanding"

Alice Bell (former Head of Public Engagement at the Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex and Course Director for an interdisciplinary course on climate change at Imperial): "ESA can land their robot on a comet. But they still can’t see misogyny under their noses. And that's a problem"

Katie Grasha (astronomer): "His shirt says to women in STEM: I have no respect for you as a professional. When I look at you, I see a sex object"

Maggie Koerth-Baker (science journalist): "That's the worst part of it. He marginalized his female colleagues as part of a ****ing joke. To show how laid back he is." "Because women are your ******* punchline. And demeaning women is a fun way to show how casual you are! How unlike stuffy stereotypes!"

Matthew R. Francis (science writer and speaker specializing in physics, astronomy, and related fields. Former college professor, ex-planetarium director): "Women say: This shirt says women aren't welcome in science. Men respond: GO KILL YOURSELF YOU HATE SEX."

Kate Clancy (Assistant professor at the University of Illinois, biological anthropologist): The folks at #rosetta would do well to read articles on objectification of women and hostile work environments: [URL="http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/law/19/2/206/"]link[/URL]
    Last edited by Gotthammer; 11-17-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    The man responsible had a storm of twitter hatred and didn't have much option. Equality means a woman would be free to wear the equivalent if she so chose? plus aren't scientists generally eccentric, every one I've met seemed to be.
    Yes indeed! Scientists are usually very unique individuals with a very different view of the world.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Wooooo, got me there Mystery. It's almost like I do this on purpose.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Banned

Ah so they don't have to show any concern about how they offend people?

Also:

Last edited by Gotthammer; 11-17-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Chapter-Master

not all hunting is done simply for fun. we hunt rabbits on our farm. we do it because if we don't, the population gets out of control and then they develop mixamatosis and they die horribly. hunting is sometimes necessary. Certainly animal rights are very important, but that is for an animal rights thread, it is not really something to be discussed in a feminism thread, that is all.
    Quite right! Of course if we hadn't killed all the natural predators already there wouldn't be a need.

the shirt issue is a simple one, he is representing his field in one of the most important space events of our times. I suspect there is a pretty good chance that he owns other shirts, and really he should have worn one of those. he knows that himself, which is why he apologised without prompting, and good for him. that is all there is to it.
    Spot on. It was a dumb fashion choice and who knows what was going through his mind when he dressed that morning. You would have thought he would have picked a shirt that sported scientific propaganda. At least he had the good sense to bow out without trying to defend his lack of fashion sense to the world at large.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves