BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 876 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 376776826866874875876877878886926976 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,760 of 10008
    Chapter-Master

To me personally that suggests a combination of the millitary's tendency to cover anything negative up(for a British example google deepcut suicides?) combined with an evil individuals willingness to take advantage of circumstance.

It also raises the argument of removing women from the area of operations to prevent any chance of it occurring and let the military concentrate on fighting a war?

- - - Updated - - -

Which seems like a massive step backwards.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

It raises that issue, but the recurring point of this thread is that it isn't her fault this happened, and it's not on the women to remove themselves from the military to avoid this. The onus is on the soldiers that clearly did this to her.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Would you like me to repost my 700ish word explanation of why this isn't necessarily true for a third time?
    Only if it involves a comprehensive redefinition of "best".
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    It raises that issue, but the recurring point of this thread is that it isn't her fault this happened, and it's not on the women to remove themselves from the military to avoid this. The onus is on the soldiers that clearly did this to her.
    Yup and this is the problem with the whole 'women cause problems with discipline' argument. It isn't women causing the problem, it is male behaviour. Kick the ****ers out, punish them publicly and clearly and make it clear that behaviour is unacceptable. In this case a man or men raped and murdered a young woman and they got away with it, what message does that send to them about how seriously the military takes its responsibilities to female soldiers?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Indeed that is true.
    But until military's are more open with problems it won't change.
    I mean fifteen years ago when I was in cadets some soldiers form an armoured reconnaissance regiment actively discouraged female cadets from pursuing a further career in the forces apparently because of how poorly women were treated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Only if it involves a comprehensive redefinition of "best".
    See the thing is when you guys keep asking the same question over and over again and never say anything to the replies you get it makes it hard to have a dialogue here. Like apparently you did read what I wrote which is prettymuch the position of many of the ladies here, and disagree with it - but if you don't say why and just go "but men...????" over and over it just looks like you're either being an arse or willfully ignorant because you've been given a pretty clear explanation to that question in many different ways but the answer has never once been addressed - only re-asking the question again and again in slightly different ways like you aren't listening to the answers because they aren't what you want to hear.

And yes, the best writer might be a man, I don't think anyone here has said otherwise outside of hyperbole from you know who - it's just that... well, it's been said frequently enough by enough people that you should know this already, or if you don't feel free to read what's been given to answer this question the many, many times it's been given. And if you still don't understand that, you're welcome to ask further questions.

-

And I almost added an addendum to that post of "if you respond to this that obviously the solution is to remove women from the army entirely you are human garbage because all that would do is show that this behaviour is acceptable and the "soldiers" responsible will then simply turn on the civilians around them since you're blaming the victims" - but I had hoped it was unnecessary.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post

-

And I almost added an addendum to that post of "if you respond to this that obviously the solution is to remove women from the army entirely you are human garbage because all that would do is show that this behaviour is acceptable and the "soldiers" responsible will then simply turn on the civilians around them since you're blaming the victims" - but I had hoped it was unnecessary.
    I do agree thats the wrong solution, but until the military shows the same willingness to investigate as the civillian police would presented with identical circumstances, though considering we're talking about a US case and authorities and the stubenville thing raises questions of its own there. There's no easy answers and you're right its awfully like victim blaming.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post

[URL="http://themarysue.tumblr.com/post/104030994205/trans-dyke-the-exercist"]Source[/URL].

Disturbing how many people don't get this.
    While I understand and agree that these are very different, right or wrong, both paths promote sexual objectification.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Indeed that is true.
    But until military's are more open with problems it won't change.
    I mean fifteen years ago when I was in cadets some soldiers form an armoured reconnaissance regiment actively discouraged female cadets from pursuing a further career in the forces apparently because of how poorly women were treated.
    I don't know where one would begin to encourage openness with such a closed organization. The military is as secretive, if not more so, than the church.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

While self-objectification is a thing, in this case she isn't objectifying herself or promoting objectification of women. Women are made to feel ashamed of their bodies from a very young age and that is what she is protesting about, that there is nothing shameful about a female body regardless of the amount of skin on display.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    While self-objectification is a thing, in this case she isn't objectifying herself or promoting objectification of women. Women are made to feel ashamed of their bodies from a very young age and that is what she is protesting about, that there is nothing shameful about a female body regardless of the amount of skin on display.
    People should never feel shame with their body... Although society does an amazing job of making everyone feel bad about how they look. The whole diet and plastic surgery industries rely on this. But why does she feel the need to be descriptive and refer to herself as 'hot' instead of simply stating 'not ashamed of my body'. Isn't she giving a subtle nod to the standards that are at the root of body shaming in the first place?
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves