BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 877 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 377777827867875876877878879887927977 ... LastLast
Results 8,761 to 8,770 of 10008

Because women are also shamed for being happy and confident in their bodies, so her calling herself hot is an act of defiance against that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    See the thing is when you guys keep asking the same question over and over again and never say anything to the replies you get it makes it hard to have a dialogue here. Like apparently you did read what I wrote which is prettymuch the position of many of the ladies here, and disagree with it - but if you don't say why and just go "but men...????" over and over it just looks like you're either being an arse or willfully ignorant because you've been given a pretty clear explanation to that question in many different ways but the answer has never once been addressed - only re-asking the question again and again in slightly different ways like you aren't listening to the answers because they aren't what you want to hear.

And yes, the best writer might be a man, I don't think anyone here has said otherwise outside of hyperbole from you know who - it's just that... well, it's been said frequently enough by enough people that you should know this already, or if you don't feel free to read what's been given to answer this question the many, many times it's been given. And if you still don't understand that, you're welcome to ask further questions.
    I'm not sure I asked a question. I just said that the best writter should do the job regardless of their gender. Yes it would be great if it were a female writter, similiarly it would be great if it were a male writer. As long as we get a proper super hero film out of it. One where the hero is allowed to be a hero. You know, rescuing people and not needing to be rescued themselves. I mean you don't go to watch batman being rescued by robin in a batman film, you go to watch batman kicking butt. similiarly, in the wonder woman film I want to see her kicking butt and rescuing people, not being rescued and not just being some pinup.
    From the sounds of it an unproven writer may not be the best choice as they don't bring any experiance of being a super hero, any experiance of super hero action films, or what it is like to be a woman. At least an inexperianced female writer would have that perspective.
    Unfortunately, when it comes to the term "best" there is no objective scoring system, if you were to go by box office you end up with George Lucas as the highest grossing writter and his #1 film (in us box office alone) is Phantom Menance which I am not sure any would agree was even his best film.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Because women are also shamed for being happy and confident in their bodies, so her calling herself hot is an act of defiance against that.
    Odd, I can understand her being objectified but I can't truly comprehend someone who society would deem attractive being body shamed.

- - - Updated - - -

On the Wonder Woman front, isn't it far more important that Michelle MacLaren was chosen to direct the film? She has far more power over the project and is ultimately responsible for realizing the vision. And if it ends up being a terrible film she'll take the heat for it. So I doubt she will move the project forward if she feels the script she is given to work with is a steaming pile of crap.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

It's simple, women who show off any aspect of their bodies are considered harlots and sluts, because women should hide that stuff away lest someone punish them for daring to show it off. In fact, someone should just go ahead and rape them, to show how much they were asking for it.

So, y'know, her showing off her body on her terms, without being a contrived plot device used to seduce a character in a movie, or be an alluring damsel-in-distress is her taking it back from society, as it were.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Occuli Imperator

It is a combined effort. You need good everything, just one off thing can ruin the experiance, like sfx that are so jarring that it knocks you out of the experiance. Or what have you.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    It is a combined effort. You need good everything, just one off thing can ruin the experiance, like sfx that are so jarring that it knocks you out of the experiance. Or what have you.
    But if I understand the movie making the director pulls it all together, sets the tone, squeezes the performances out of the actors... personally I'm far more concerned that Gal Gadot can pull it off. Although it can lead to a better experience to go into a movie with low expectations and be happily surprised vs the other way around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    It's simple, women who show off any aspect of their bodies are considered harlots and sluts, because women should hide that stuff away lest someone punish them for daring to show it off. In fact, someone should just go ahead and rape them, to show how much they were asking for it.

So, y'know, her showing off her body on her terms, without being a contrived plot device used to seduce a character in a movie, or be an alluring damsel-in-distress is her taking it back from society, as it were.
    While that is understandable should a rich person take a picture surrounded by mountains of cash holding a sign that says "not ashamed of my fabulous wealth."
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    But if I understand the movie making the director pulls it all together, sets the tone, squeezes the performances out of the actors... personally I'm far more concerned that Gal Gadot can pull it off. Although it can lead to a better experience to go into a movie with low expectations and be happily surprised vs the other way around.
    Yes in that regard they can make or break the film, but if the script had WW being rescued by blokey blokerson then all the direction and good performances would still leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Yes in that regard they can make or break the film, but if the script had WW being rescued by blokey blokerson then all the direction and good performances would still leave a bitter taste in my mouth.
    Well there wouldn't be any way to salvage a script that bad.
    My Truescale Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    While that is understandable should a rich person take a picture surrounded by mountains of cash holding a sign that says "not ashamed of my fabulous wealth."
    They do, and a lot of people venerate them for it. That said, wealth of money isn't the same as being attractive at all. No-one's going to rape someone because they have a healthy bank balance, for one. Additionally, no-one oppresses the rich, because money is power made manifest, and the people with the most money are those that wield the most power.

I understand the analogy you were going for, it's like telling the smart kid not to show off in class because people hate nerds and want to beat them up, right? Not exactly, because the smart kid can play dumb, a woman can't play herself out as a man so easily, nor anything else that would remove the discrimination from her.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    They do, and a lot of people venerate them for it. That said, wealth of money isn't the same as being attractive at all. No-one's going to rape someone because they have a healthy bank balance, for one. Additionally, no-one oppresses the rich, because money is power made manifest, and the people with the most money are those that wield the most power.

I understand the analogy you were going for, it's like telling the smart kid not to show off in class because people hate nerds and want to beat them up, right? Not exactly, because the smart kid can play dumb, a woman can't play herself out as a man so easily, nor anything else that would remove the discrimination from her.
    Fair enough. It's probably my naturally cynical nature that makes some things not feel genuine... they come across more as self-promoting publicity stunts. It is quite difficult to understand the feelings other people have on the big subjects... we are all hampered by the worldview that develops from our personal experiences. Most days I'm quite amazed that people manage to get along at all.
    My Truescale Insanity