BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 937 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 437837887927935936937938939947987 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,370 of 10008
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    As mentioned above - to make any given model recognisably ethinc is really really hard to get right, because at the scales we're looking at, physical traits have to be exaggerated - and when you exaggerate physical racial traits, you can turn out with something incredibly racist.
    True... the differences would be so minimal prepainting that it would be hard to see them. The fact that companies like GW have nothing but white models in the mainstream game is telling. Why didn't they paint the Catachans with dark skin? Why do no guard regiments have dark skin? Why is there no asian themed back story for any of the guard/marine chapters? Where are the female marines? etc etc
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Asian themed Marines? What, like White Scars

Also touched on above - there is little in the background which describes all members of any given Chapter as being a specific ethnicity.

Blood Angels do have that - and that is directly attributed to their Geneseed remodelling the radiation blasted body of the supplicant.

Salamanders - again, quirk of their geneseed make the skin coal black.

Ravenguard - pasty and black eyed, all down to geneseed.

But that's it. HH books make it clear that post-geneseed, you can otherwise tell a given Marine's ethnic origin.

That most models are seen painted caucasian is down to the painter, not the company. There is nothing to say all Ultramarines look like Calgar. Calgar is described, sure. But that's it.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Asian themed Marines? What, like White Scars
    Crap! I forgot the Khan and crew and let my Samurai tunnel vision take charge!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

As mentioned above - to make any given model recognisably ethinc is really really hard to get right, because at the scales we're looking at, physical traits have to be exaggerated - and when you exaggerate physical racial traits, you can turn out with something incredibly racist.
    I don't expect them to sculpt anything different, except maybe the hair, but let's just not do that, because I actually looked at the unhelmeted heads on my Death Company sprue last night and... well, yeah, let's just avoid GW sculpting any hairstyles that aren't straight-cut. It is weird, though, to not see any of them painted up as non-Caucasian. But that's something I can get around as a gamer by applying paint.

As to your earlier point about not having in-depth responses to you, I would likely make some, but right now, I'm just kind of tired of the whole debate. My preference would be to wipe out any laws of any kind regarding race, gender, ethnicity, religion, etc. No benefits to anyone. No excuse for giving anyone benefits. Make it all a blank slate and let people do as they want. If someone's dumb enough to discriminate when it comes to employees, let them lose a good potential employee to somewhere else. If someone is actively harming someone else, the reason doesn't matter, they should be punished. But having that level of true equality is as polarizing to people as giving people the freedom to drink, smoke, do pot, or have sex with whoever they want, as long as they're not hurting anyone... only with the exception of the latter including a different kind of stupid argument, the former keeps coming down to the insanely stupid claim that equal laws and such for everyone is somehow unequal, and we must have unequal laws to provide equality. I'm just tired of dealing with that. People don't want equality and freedom. They will tell you all day they do, but they won't. So meh. Screw debating over it. There's just nothing to be gained from it, except more negativity, and having strangers berate and insult you because they think being offensive is helpful to their cause is just not something I want to deal with.

The color chart showed how stupid all of this is. Somehow saying men are more simple-minded is an insult to women and not men. Either "side" could be insulted, and at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure it was a joke. But someone, on some "side," will claim it's offensive to them and not to anyone else, and shows bias, and frankly, that level of stupidity makes me question Darwin's theory.

That most models are seen painted caucasian is down to the painter, not the company. There is nothing to say all Ultramarines look like Calgar. Calgar is described, sure. But that's it.
    Thats a common sci-fi trope. The whole planet is basically one big climate zone with no cultural or racial variance but one common theme: Iceworld, Jungleworld, Desertworld, Waterworld, Nightworld,...

Blood Angels do have that - and that is directly attributed to their Geneseed remodelling the radiation blasted body of the supplicant.
    I'm a little concerned these days that the Blood Angels have turned into the Aryan Nation. It's a little disconcerting that their geneseed remodels them all to be blue-eyed, blonde Caucasians, with Roman haircuts. It just feels... weird. Even more so than trying to make them all Team Edward with George Clooney armor.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    First of all we should toss out using the “world” as generalizations are never accurate. Are White men tops in China or India where the bulk of the world’s population lives? No sir. In a lot of these locations being white is a big negative. In some it’s a death sentence.

If you’re making the statement that western white men better off in general than people in China/India well sure. Of course everyone is better off. Top of the food chain has nothing to do with being white… or a man for that matter. There is one yardstick on earth for privilege (a word that is so pompous it had to originate in Academia) and in America it’s typically green.
    Actually thanks to colonialism and Imperialism white supremacy is a global phenomenon and white people maintain some privilege almost everywhere on earth, and thanks to the patriarchal imposed onto many native cultures by Western colonisers we also spready male privilege to all four corners of the globe as well. It's true in some circumstances being a white person may make you a target, often that is a by-product of white privilege, for example being of value as a hostage in South America because Westerners are perceived as important and valuable.

And no, the average white Briton or American is vastly better off than the majority of the global population, and privilege is very real, the only reason it is considered pompous or annoying as a concept is because it's existence undermines peoples conception of how responsible they are for their own achievements. No one wants to admit they are in easy mode.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

That's some fair points on the racial sculpts, so I'll let that go. However, I think the serious lack of representation in artwork and paintwork from GW is quite sad, especially as one of the very few things the Imperium is fair on is race, it doesn't give a fig what skin colour, language or culture a citizen has, so long as they recognise the Immortal God-Emperor as their lord, and are willing to die/work to death for him. In its own, cruel way, it's kinda fair.

It's annoying because I would personally like a tutorial in the vein of the YouTube ones from GW going through how to paint different skin tones, as I find painting anything other than Caucasian a bit difficult. (I did [URL="http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20141118_13_21_21_Pro.jpg"]these guys[/URL] a while back, which are a bit ropey. The blue tinge to the skin only shows up when photographed, thankfully.)

It's annoying, because I'd like my Chem Dogs and Gue'vesa to be a collection of various human races, (because everyone can be criminal scum, and everyone can also be idealistic, heretical Xeno-allies from a loose alliance of planets.) However, my lack of ability to paint dark skin that doesn't look just plain wrong irritates me, does anyone have a good tutorial to follow?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Some of this data is a little dated (2006 studies) but honestly not much has changed. Quick and dirty summary of the wealth inequality by race and sex.

[url]http://reimaginerpe.org/node/2815[/url]

The wealth gap will only continue to worsen under current policies, how can it not... it's basic math. If I have $1,000,000 earning 5% return and you have $1,000 earning the same return who will be better off in the future?
    My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I'm a little concerned these days that the Blood Angels have turned into the Aryan Nation. It's a little disconcerting that their geneseed remodels them all to be blue-eyed, blonde Caucasians, with Roman haircuts. It just feels... weird. Even more so than trying to make them all Team Edward with George Clooney armor.

Haven't they always been like blond?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness