BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Battle-Brother

Default New Eldar Codex = New Eldar Questions

Figured to start a thread to consolidate the upcoming round of questions for Codex: Eldar!

Question: When building a "Warlock Council" (doesn't sound the same as Seer Council), could I list build 4 warlocks in a unit where two are equiped with Jetbikes and two without. Then after rolling for psyker powers, can I decide which two warlocks would break off to support a unit AND also decide who keeps a jetbike, and who doesn't.

Essentially, can I optimize both Psychic support for both Jetbike council and 2 other units AND optimize the mobility of the Jetbike council WITHOUT paying extra points when I know I'll have at least two warlocks on foot.

Hope that makes sense.

No you can't, cause you attach the warlocks to the squads before you roll for warlord trait... and by the rules on page 148 warlord traits happen before psy powers are selected. Therefore, you will break the warlocks off, choose warlord trait, then choose psy powers.

They will be random selection no matter how you slice it I'm afraid.

First-Captain

next question comes from me: A Striking Scorpion Exarch can get Crushing Blow (or however it's exactly called in English...), which reads "The model gets +1 Strength". To me, that reads like it would boost his strength when using a Scorpion Claw to 8, since it speaks about his own characteristic, not hits he inflicts or something (like Furious Charge does, I believe? Which obviously would just make it S7...). Am I imagining a difference in wording here?

You are, yes. Remember that everything modifies the model's own Strength - even Melee weapons like power fists. Although we sometimes speak of Melee weapons as having a Strength, the way Shooting attacks do, the truth is that they don't - as page 24 says, we reference "the attacker's Strength characteristic," not the weapon's (cf. page 14, "compare the weapon's Strength characteristic"). Melee weapons have no Strength at all, merely abilities that modify the user's Strength. Hence, the Scorpion's Claw doubles the exarch's Strength, and Crushing Blow (or whatever) increases the exarch's Strength +1. 3+1x2, in 40K math, is 7.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 06-01-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Hence, the Scorpion's Claw doubles the exarch's Strength, and Crushing Blow (or whatever) increases the exarch's Strength +1. 3+1x2, in 40K math, is 7.
    Actually the way you've written it there would be S5. And it's not 40K math, it's normal order of operations with the "fixed values" added at the end.

That's the result by normal order of operations, yes. What I meant to express is that when you have a characteristic of 3, a modifier of +1, and modifier of x2, the rules require you to formulate the equation as 3x2+1. You cannot choose to formulate it as 3+1x2, or (3+1)x2. But I think all three of us are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    You are, yes. Remember that everything modifies the model's own Strength - even Melee weapons like power fists. Although we sometimes speak of Melee weapons as having a Strength, the way Shooting attacks do, the truth is that they don't - as page 24 says, we reference "the attacker's Strength characteristic," not the weapon's (cf. page 14, "compare the weapon's Strength characteristic"). Melee weapons have no Strength at all, merely abilities that modify the user's Strength. Hence, the Scorpion's Claw doubles the exarch's Strength, and Crushing Blow (or whatever) increases the exarch's Strength +1. 3+1x2, in 40K math, is 7.
    Reread the weapon profile description, it is for both melee and ranged weapons and takes precedence via page 7 so the exarch will be at s8.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Kyban View Post
    Reread the weapon profile description, it is for both melee and ranged weapons and takes precedence via page 7 so the exarch will be at s8.
    Refer to pg 2 in the BRB "Multiple Modifiers" It explains the math and does a sample example. You multiply first then add or subtract.

The only things that I know of that go against this rule are in the GK book where it specifically says you add the +1str first then double.
    Last edited by Vallen; 06-02-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Battle-Brother

Remember the scorpion's claw is not unwieldy anymore so you attack at initiative with the str 7 ap 2...that is nothing to sneeze at....if you want str 8 at initiative just take the Phoenix lord

I'm not sure what you're contending. Page 2 says, "For example, if a model with Strength 4 has both "+1 Strength" and "double Strength", its final Strength is 9 (4x2=8, 8+1 =9)." That's the same result that has had power klaw nobs charging at S9 for years (S4, x2S, Furious Charge).

I don't have a copy of the eldar codex yet, so I don't have the text of the ability that is, roughly, giving +1 Strength, but as I understand it it gives the exarch +1 Strength. A power fist gives a model double Strength. Just as S4, +1S, and x2S is S9, so S3, +1S, and x2S is S7.

Or is there something in the codex that alters that analysis, in your view?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast