BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Yeah, Armoured Steed on page 45 of the BRB covers the Toughness increase. Note that the CSM codex also does not list the Toughness increase for bikes (see page 66 of the CSM codex). It appears that going forward they are letting Armoured Steed cover the Toughness increase, and simply noting in the codex any other characteristics the bike might have (e.g., weaponry, armor save, etc.).
    Additionally, the Eldar Codex says to use the main rulebook rules. ie that the iPad codex has the main rulebook rules in it.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by Vallen View Post
    BRB pg 78 "Embarking and Disembarking" - No you can't voluntarily do both in same turn.

I know I quickly wondered that too
    Thanks, it seemed too good to be true!

I need to get to work on some jetbikes, with a warlock with conceal (3+ jink, right?), they will be pretty darn good.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMen View Post
    I need to get to work on some jetbikes, with a warlock with conceal (3+ jink, right?), they will be pretty darn good.
    At a minimum yes but don't forget that you still have a chance to get +1 armor instead....2+armor jetbikes

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    You are, yes. Remember that everything modifies the model's own Strength - even Melee weapons like power fists. Although we sometimes speak of Melee weapons as having a Strength, the way Shooting attacks do, the truth is that they don't - as page 24 says, we reference "the attacker's Strength characteristic," not the weapon's (cf. page 14, "compare the weapon's Strength characteristic"). Melee weapons have no Strength at all, merely abilities that modify the user's Strength. Hence, the Scorpion's Claw doubles the exarch's Strength, and Crushing Blow (or whatever) increases the exarch's Strength +1. 3+1x2, in 40K math, is 7.
    Reread the weapon profile description, it is for both melee and ranged weapons and takes precedence via page 7 so the exarch will be at s8.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Kyban View Post
    Reread the weapon profile description, it is for both melee and ranged weapons and takes precedence via page 7 so the exarch will be at s8.
    Refer to pg 2 in the BRB "Multiple Modifiers" It explains the math and does a sample example. You multiply first then add or subtract.

The only things that I know of that go against this rule are in the GK book where it specifically says you add the +1str first then double.
    Last edited by Vallen; 06-02-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Battle-Brother

Remember the scorpion's claw is not unwieldy anymore so you attack at initiative with the str 7 ap 2...that is nothing to sneeze at....if you want str 8 at initiative just take the Phoenix lord

I'm not sure what you're contending. Page 2 says, "For example, if a model with Strength 4 has both "+1 Strength" and "double Strength", its final Strength is 9 (4x2=8, 8+1 =9)." That's the same result that has had power klaw nobs charging at S9 for years (S4, x2S, Furious Charge).

I don't have a copy of the eldar codex yet, so I don't have the text of the ability that is, roughly, giving +1 Strength, but as I understand it it gives the exarch +1 Strength. A power fist gives a model double Strength. Just as S4, +1S, and x2S is S9, so S3, +1S, and x2S is S7.

Or is there something in the codex that alters that analysis, in your view?

Quote Originally Posted by Vallen View Post
    Refer to pg 2 in the BRB "Multiple Modifiers" It explains the math and does a sample example. You multiply first then add or subtract.

The only things that I know of that go against this rule are in the GK book where it specifically says you add the +1str first then double.
    You're not modifying the same thing, on page 50 it says that "the strength of the weapon is equal to that of the user after any such modifiers have been applied". So the user's strength is 3+1=4 and the weapon's strength is 4(user's)x2=8. If the weapon had a +1 strength also it would be added after the x2 according to page 2 but they modify different things.

So, to be clear, you contend (to give an example) that the "x2" in the power fist description is not a modifier to the user's Strength?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast