BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with Eldar!

Default Fun with Eldar!

So the new dex is finally in our sweaty little palms, What goofy combos have you guys discovered? any new juicy eldar tactica?

Here are some I enjoy;

Night Spinner with star engines and crystal targeting matrix. Thats a S7 rending lite template (S8 on vehicles and slowpokes!) in your face from 48" away, move 12"+flat out 24"+torrent 12". Surprise!

Illic Nightspear attached to wraithguard. This honestly seems broken. You can plop all that S10 death behind any armored rear, or use wraithscythes to take out... well i guess anything. Fire Dragons actually might be a better fit here using Illic's warlord trait to split fire. If you give the exarch a dragons breath flamer and fast shot you have two heavy flamers roasting troops while the dragons do their thing.

Seer council w/renewer and Fuegan. Now this one isn't very practical but think of the possibilities! Fuegan's unquenchable resolve special rule lets him gain +1 Strength and +1 Attack for every lost wound. As long as you keep replacing those wounds with your warlocks Feugan could have a WS7 S10 I7 A10+ monster! Striking at AP1!!! FUEGAN THE FIRE GOD!!!! now only to find a way to take those wounds of yourself....

The only thing about B is that Illic may give a unit the Infiltrate USR, but he doesnt pass on his special infiltrate rule so if hes taking a unit of anything with him, he has to obey the standard infiltrating distance rules which tbh, isnt nearly as good/worth what Illic costs.

So its not broken! I also like Karandras with Wraithblades. Just a good, tough, choppy unit that can get dug in quick.

Chapter-Master

Farseers can take both Guide and Prescience. Hope for Fortune, Misfortune, or Doom for your third power, and buff two full scatter laser War Walker squads. That's 12 dead Marines per turn on average dice with just Guide and Prescience. And, yes, I know scatter lasers get some rerolls, but only on subsequent weapons. Also, Aegis Defense Line and Holofields mean those War Walkers get a 3+ cover save automatically.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

Eldrad using Divination and hoping for the No cover power...put him with a group of dark reapers....TW with ignore cover = many dead marines.....at that point I'm not sure if I prefer 20 str 5 shots or 10 str 8 shots

Chapter-Master

With reroll to hit, str5 by far. You get a lot more hits, and the only difference is a 3+ vs a 2+ to wound. Str 5 will cause about 12 wounds. Str 8 will only do 7-8.

Str 8 ignores cover is great against vehicles, though, so it's got its place.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Keep in mind that ICs don't transfer infiltrate until after they've been deployed/put in reserves. So it's only really usefull for giving outflank.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Carstens View Post
    Keep in mind that ICs don't transfer infiltrate until after they've been deployed/put in reserves. So it's only really usefull for giving outflank.
    What is your logic on this? The rule says "Units that contain at least one model with this special rule.." At the bottom of the rule it does say that units don't give this to ICs but I would think that given the wording an IC would give it to the unit.

I've play against some annoying Huron armies so if you have a good reason why giving the IC infiltrate does not confer to the unit I'd love to hear it

Chapter-Master

It's actually a pretty valid question. You can only join ICs to units during deployment, so you can't actually stick the IC in the squad that isn't deploying to give them infiltrate so that they can infiltrate... yeah, GW kinda sucks at writing rules. This problem's actually been around for a long time, I'm pretty sure they've even FAQ'd it before. It's kind of a fuzzy loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    It's actually a pretty valid question. You can only join ICs to units during deployment, so you can't actually stick the IC in the squad that isn't deploying to give them infiltrate so that they can infiltrate... yeah, GW kinda sucks at writing rules. This problem's actually been around for a long time, I'm pretty sure they've even FAQ'd it before. It's kind of a fuzzy loophole.
    I always read it as, first you attach the IC to the unit then decide how to deploy the unit.

Speaking of pertinent, poorly written rules though: Ignore cover only says wounds so it doesn't work on vehicles. It's probably supposed to work for vehicles too but the way it's written...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast