BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The purging of kadillus: Epic fail?

The most ****ty 40k novel I have ever read.

80 marines + 2 predators, razorbacks and rhinos takes on 80 orks holding some abandoned mine buildings = 2 dead marines and 5 too injured to keep fighting.

70 marines + 2 predators, razorbacks and rhinos takes on a few hundred orks holding some powerplant buildings = 30-40 marines die.

And that is pretty much the general theme of the book.

Am I the only one feeling like this after reading the purging of kadillus?

Quote Originally Posted by Andersp90 View Post

80 marines + 2 predators, razorbacks and rhinos takes on 80 orks holding some abandoned mine buildings = 2 dead marines and 5 too injured to keep fighting.

70 marines + 2 predators, razorbacks and rhinos takes on a few hundred orks holding some powerplant buildings = 30-40 marines die.

And that is pretty much the general theme of the book.

Am I the only one feeling like this after reading the purging of kadillus?
    Sounds more in line with actual gameplay than previous 'Hollywood' marines from other novels. Only in books are SMs as good as the fluff makes them out to be.
    "I play Eldar, why? Does GW make any other good armies?"

Quote Originally Posted by Andersp90 View Post
    Really? So you've not read Hunt for Voldorius then? I've read and enjoyed a lot of bad SF. Hunt For Voldorius is a step too far.

"Oh, look. Voldorius is over there. Oh, that's not Voldorius. Oh look, he's really over there!"

Quote Originally Posted by DesertOfZin View Post
    Really? So you've not read Hunt for Voldorius then? I've read and enjoyed a lot of bad SF. Hunt For Voldorius is a step too far.

"Oh, look. Voldorius is over there. Oh, that's not Voldorius. Oh look, he's really over there!"
    Not yet.

- and not sure if I want to now. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bitrider View Post
    Sounds more in line with actual gameplay than previous 'Hollywood' marines from other novels. Only in books are SMs as good as the fluff makes them out to be.
    TT and fluff are two very different things... If SM's (or eldar) were as beastly in TT as they are really ment to be (fluff), it would be too expensive to play orks/tyranids/IG etc.

We both know that it takes years of training to become a SM, and at the rate of wich they die in "the purging of kadillus", they simply wouldent be able to keep the chapter going (for more than half a year) = makes zero sense...

Mabye the Dark Angels are just made of jelly?
    Last edited by Andersp90; 06-04-2013 at 09:29 AM.

First-Captain

yeah, Purging of Kadillus is among the worst BL novels... as is Hunt for Voldorius, or Savage Scars (both by Andy Hoare)

Go read Battle for the Abyss. I assume you haven't if PoK is the worst BL book you've read. Still, Space Marines Battles novels are terrible aside from Battle for the Fang. I should have quit after Rynn's World, but nooooooo. I had to pick up Fall of Damnos and Gildar Rift too! Meh...Helsreach was ok I guess...still the worst BL novel Aaron Dembski Bowden's put out imo.

I liked Helsreach.

Havent read the Purging of Kallidus, but I DID read the Hunt for Voldorus. It was a little underwhelming, however I do like that this is probably one of the VERY few chaos demons with a personality above and beyond the usual "I will do exactly what you expect me to do because I am a demon". Voldurus seemd to actually have humanistic personal foibles (I think he face palms a couple times, IIRC)

Battle of the Fang was just cool and unique, because all of the other fluff is either during the Heresy, or 10,000 years afterwards. BoF is pretty much a sequel to Prospero Burns, and I think it is the ONLY book in which we see a Primarch actively take part in a battle after the heresy.

Brother-Captain

PoK was pretty good, but not great. So far "Battle For the Fang," "Helsreach," "Wrath of Iron" and "Legion of the Damned" have been the best Space Marine Battles books.

If you ever want to read a WH40K book that makes you hate WH40K for being grimdark, then read "Wrath of Iron." It warped me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    PoK was pretty good, but not great. So far "Battle For the Fang," "Helsreach," "Wrath of Iron" and "Legion of the Damned" have been the best Space Marine Battles books.

If you ever want to read a WH40K book that makes you hate WH40K for being grimdark, then read "Wrath of Iron." It warped me a bit.
    Is 'Wrath of Iron' an Iron hands book, or Iron Warriors? I read all of the Iron Warriors stuff mixed in with, oddly, the Ultramarines omnibuses (omnibi?)

Legion of the Damned was indeed a very good read, I just wish they gave away a little more of who they used to be, or some means of communication with them other than just nightmares and visions. I really like

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

that the LoD dropods are coffins/sarcophagi, and that Sgt Centurius is mentioned. It also sounds like their 'base' is a cursed and/or missing starfort the size of Phallanx something.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaximum View Post
    Is 'Wrath of Iron' an Iron hands book, or Iron Warriors? I read all of the Iron Warriors stuff mixed in with, oddly, the Ultramarines omnibuses (omnibi?)
    It's an Iron Hands book. It just...man it makes me hate them, even if they are loyalist.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast