BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaximum View Post
    Is that Blood Angels book the one about the two brothers, and something supremely unique happens to one of them? (Don't want to give too much away, as I think I may have read it.)
    It is an extremely... epic story.

This is the only coherent critique I have ever seen: that it's very epic and mythic and high adventure, to the point that it reads more like a fantasy novel than a pseudo-realistic military history. This is probably why I like it more than the Ciaphas Cain novels, and why I like the Cain novels more than anything else I've read in the Black Library. But, some people prefer dry military-history style Space Marine novels - it comes from our hobby's history, I guess - though I can't see the appeal.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

One of the things I like best about the 40k setting is that it lends itself to multiple interpretations. You can have your gritty military-fiction style stories, your epic fantasy quests with gods and daemons, your mystery stories, you name it.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    But, some people prefer dry military-history style Space Marine novels - it comes from our hobby's history, I guess - though I can't see the appeal.
    Are there any good "dry military-history style Space Marine novels?" I'm not super well read in the Black Library, but I haven't heard of any.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Are there any good "dry military-history style Space Marine novels?" I'm not super well read in the Black Library, but I haven't heard of any.
    I don't think so, but I don't like anything in that genre. Some people are into that sort of thing.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

Tactica Imperialis or any of the Primers would be that sort of thing.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Sergeant
    Catterick, North Yorkshire, and Birmingham

Apart from Helsreach the entire SM Battles range is terrible, stopped reading them! Waste of time even printing them, concentrate of the more popular book series' IMO!

The Imperial Armour books have that in spades! Try the Badab War set, Taros Campaign or the Vraks stuff.

I really liked wrath of iron and legion of the damned
    Purge the Weak!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Vangrail View Post
    I really liked wrath of iron and legion of the damned
    "Wrath of Iron" made me hate Iron Hands for a while...still do a little. ( -_-)
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Veteran-Sergeant

Is the consensus that Rynn's World was that that bad? It's the book that got me back into the hobby after an 8 year break.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast