Farseer with Singing Spear

10 Dire Avengers & Exarch with power weapon and shimmershield
    Wave Serpent with TL starcannon

Wave Serpent with TL bright lance

Crimson Hunter Exarch

Fire Prism w Crystal Targetting Matrix

995pts.

The list is really just to test a few things in the book, not really looking for deep synergy and whatnot yet.

I'm not certain I'll be facing a flyer at this level so I'm hoping between the fire prism, Crimson Hunter, bright lance and singing spear to have enough anti-armour. One lot of Dire Avengers will zoom about shooting at stuff but with the intention of taking/holding my objective, the other will advance with Farseer and shoot stuff with the goal of taking the enemy objective. Fire Prism Flat Out snipes stuff with its lovely cover save. Tempted to drop the second power weapon and shimmershield from the defensive Dire Avengers to buy the prism a holofield. Might change that before the game.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    A'ight then:

Crimson Hunter Exarch

995pts.

The list is really just to test a few things in the book, not really looking for deep synergy and whatnot yet.

I'm not certain I'll be facing a flyer at this level so I'm hoping between the fire prism, Crimson Hunter, bright lance and singing spear to have enough anti-armour. One lot of Dire Avengers will zoom about shooting at stuff but with the intention of taking/holding my objective, the other will advance with Farseer and shoot stuff with the goal of taking the enemy objective. Fire Prism Flat Out snipes stuff with its lovely cover save. Tempted to drop the second power weapon and shimmershield from the defensive Dire Avengers to buy the prism a holofield. Might change that before the game.
    Interested in what powers you get and how you used them.
    "I play Eldar, why? Does GW make any other good armies?"

At 1,000 pts I'd be inclined to cheap out on the dire avenger exarchs and CTM as that should save 85 pts that could be spent elsewhere.

My 1,000 pt list is:
    6 jetbikes (2 cannons)
    Warlock (bike and spear)
    7 Rangers
    5 warp spiders (exarch, spinneret rifle, fast shot [amazed they gave him that, 4 BS5, S6 AP1 shots at 12"])
    4 dark reapers (exarch, starshot, fast shot) or a fire prism with holofields
    Wraithknight (sword & shield)

Note this is for a 2*1,000 point doubles game (might be a bit jerk-face for a 1,000 point standalone with avatar & wraithknight).

Avatar, wraithknight and spiders get in the enemy's face, rangers and reapers hug cover and jetbikes jump objectives near the end game

Chapter-Master

Sounds like a good start - but in low points games (to me, anything less than 2000) I tend to not give my vehicles upgrades other than weapons - thats just personal preference.

I noticed a lack of any kind of counter assault unit (wasn't expecting banshees but maybe a WL or some kind of other unit that can at least survive an assault from a dedicated assault unit).

Low points games are going to be tough for us methinks.

4 BS5, S6 AP1 shots at 12"
    FWIW, its 3 shots at 9"

The wording on fast shot is pretty clear, and rapid fire range on an 18" gun is 9".

Still pretty badass honestly.
    Last edited by Defenestratus; 06-05-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

So it is, forgot the first rule: If it sounds too good to be true (and it's not a Ward dex) then it probably is.

Odd I've just realised I have 6 functional 40K armies and almost no rapid fire weapons.

Brother-Captain

I would probably drop the Crystal Targeting Matrix in favour of the Spirit Stone for the Farseer. It's just so good.

Brother-Sergeant

I like your list a lot. its pretty similar to mine.
    although i would drop the exarch from the crimson hunter and give the farseer the special spirit stone thingy. Considering half the farseer powers are warp charge 2, it might be handy to be able to cast a third power when you need it.

I've also had success with the runes of witnessing. i think its that one. what ever one lets you reroll a psychic test. its one use only, but it saved me from the swarmlord in a game, so i take it every time lol.
    just food for thought.
    40k: Yme-loc Eldar
    Fantasy: Ogres! lots of ogres!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    A'ight then:

Crimson Hunter Exarch

995pts.

Might as well just run guardians which would give you points for a decent sice bike squad.

@Bitrider I rolled Doom, Mind War and Eldritch Storm. Doom is fun as ever, Mind War also fun though something of a risk, took a wound off an Overlord. Eldritch Storm was great, managed to put a whole mass of wounds on a Death Mark squad and caused a penetrating haywire hit on a ghost ark in one phase.

@Isotope I was tempted to drop the exarchs but I wanted to test the new shimmershield and the CTM.

@Defenstratus Normally I would agree, but I wanted to test the CTM. I toyed with the idea of taking Banshees to test them out but decided to focus on shootiness. A small squad of Harlequins was an option as well.

@ Anggul I nearly dropped the CH exarch for the spirit stone, fortunately I rolled a 1 WC power as well as 2 2WC powers so I could use two powers a turn.

@ el_davo I was also keen to test a bare-bones Farseer, but I agree Runes of Witnessing would be useful.

I can't find where I put my notes and my friends army list so it's going to be a little less indepth than I hoped. Her list was roughly:
    Overlord with Orb thingy
    5 Death marks
    2 x 15 Warriors
    Doomsday Ark
    Ghost ark
    Possibly something else I'm forgetting.
    Highlights:
    Fire Prism went Flat Out and scored a penetrating hit on the Doomsday Ark getting a weapon destroyed result on its main gun. The 4+ cover save protected it from incoming gauss fire nicely.
    Wave Serpents really do giggle at incoming fire from the front, they weathered an awful lot and survived the game which is amazing.
    Battle Focus is fantastic, I was able to fire with both DA squads and get them into 4+ cover after, protecting them from gauss nastiness
    CH is just nasty against ground units. Vector Dancing 4 BS4 S8 AP2 shots into a unit messes it up, finished off the Death Marks before they could do too much damage when it entered from reserved and it fried the ghost ark in the next turn.
    Wave Serpent weapons are useful now, thanks to being BS4 and cheap. This hadn't really sunk in 'til I actually used them. The starcannons on one killed a few warriors over the game and the bright lance on the other helped glance the crippled doomsday ark to death.

I messed up though, I charged the Dire Avengers into the Necron Overlord and his 6 remaining warriors with a Dire Avenger squad after dropping him to WS1 and 2W. I managed to pick off another wound in a challenge with the DA Exarch and kill another few warriors over the next two turns but they held and the combat lasted 'til the game ended, the Overlord survived and the DA couldn't seize their objective.

But I won with 4VP to 1 (One objective, First Blood to me, Linebreaker to her).

Any questions go ahead, might prompt things I've forgotten.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

How did the DA shooting actually go? It feels like without doom/guide and bladestorm they're decidedly less killy, so did the rend-lite make up for the loss of those other 3 abilities?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast