BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Has GW Invalidated any Model Builds since IVth Edition?

Troops, has there been a single model build in any codex since IVth Edition that has been invalidated? Any model that was once legal to field in IVth (or Vth) that would not be legal now? I don't think there is (but I'd willingly admit I was wrong if I'm shown to be). These days GW goes out of the way not to invalidate models. I'm pretty sure I'm right about this... please advise...
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

And I'm not referring to units like the Pariah. The Pariah got a new name and a cooler model so that doesn't count. I'm talking about "Model X can no longer be fielded with weapon Y" type stuff...
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    And I'm not referring to units like the Pariah. The Pariah got a new name and a cooler model so that doesn't count. I'm talking about "Model X can no longer be fielded with weapon Y" type stuff...
    I mostly think of base sizes, like terminators/mega armor getting bigger bases or IG getting heavy weapon teams on a 60mm base. The ork Trukk because twice the size and I've heard opponents grumble about the size change.

There were a few armies that had weapon options that slipped through the cracks, like troops with Multi-Melta options, Imperial/Marines with shirken catapults/pistols, etc. Terminator Honors for some troops is now a worthless shoulder pad.

Specifically, my Valhallan LT. can't use his hand flamer, a Cadian SGT. can't use his shotgun, and a Commissar can't use his hand flamer. Some ork heavy weapons were lost as well.
    Last edited by Kaiserdean; 06-05-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

Hmm. I suppose many of the 4th ed. Marines codexes allowed you to put lightning claws and such on apothecaries. Only Blood Angels get to do that now.

Grey Knight Terminators used to be able to rock Storm Shield/Thunder Hammers (or was that 'dex 3rd ed.?).

I thinnnnk the 4th ed. Codex: Catachans had an option allowing for Las pistol/CCW on basic troops, but that's been dropped.

But yeah, they've been pretty good about not invalidating stuff - if only that policy had been in place before the 3.5 Chaos 'dex had been replaced :P
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 06-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Brother-Captain

There's little things like the old Ordo Malleus Inquisitors in Terminator Armour are no longer WYSIWYG as they can't have force rods or powerfists. IG heavy weapon changes (plasma cannon and multi melta) moved to servitors.

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    There's little things like the old Ordo Malleus Inquisitors in Terminator Armour are no longer WYSIWYG as they can't have force rods or powerfists. IG heavy weapon changes (plasma cannon and multi melta) moved to servitors.
    Dude said since IVth edition. All the stuff so far ended in either 1st or 2nd...
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Any and all Deathwing apothecary conversions you'd made before their 6th edition book are now illegal, unless you forewent WYSIWYG in the first place, as they didn't used to have to drop any weapons to hold their narthecium.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do with my old Lexmechanic model, either. Sages just up and vanished from Inquisitorial retinues when Grey Knights took over.

The game is to think of a model from 4th or 5th Edition which can't be used at all in 6th. Even if it has a new job it's still a legal model in this mental exercise. I'm trying to think of models where I say, "Crap, I can't put this model down on the table at all because of the latest rules. It has to be converted."

I'd like to set the parameters of this exercise to 'dexes printed in 4th Edition or later (to keep it manageable).

Brother-Captain

THe only one giving me trouble is the IG Sgts that I made using 4th ed codex that had shotguns and now can't take that as an option (still cool conversions so I leave them as Sgts with laspistols).

Did Cypher have 4th ed Rules? Cause he's not in anything currently.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast