BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Why not go back to 2nd & 3rd Edition because then there would be a long list of models that are no viable any more.

By 4th Edition they had completed their purge of items and while there is likely something.

Like the Dark Reaper Exarch with the Web of Skulls which can't be us that way anymore.

Battle-Brother

The female Inquisitors. Yes, the ones that are still available :D
    I don't know what some of those weapons are... a combi- bolt-pistol/needle-crossbow?

Going back further could get messy. My first Blood Claws squad had 3 each of power fists, power axes & plasma pistols.
    Last edited by khambatta; 06-05-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

This goes way back to 2nd Ed, but I have a Deathjester riding a Vyper that is pretty useless. Looks very cool.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    For this exercise I need to know: can the Vallhallan LT be validly plopped down on the table in a different role?
    No, there aren't any hand flamers any more.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    Why not go back to 2nd & 3rd Edition because then there would be a long list of models that are no viable any more.

By 4th Edition they had completed their purge of items and while there is likely something.
    Mostly because 4th seems to be the advent of the modern 40K era. Also, I think it was at the beginning of 4th that they came to the realization that it was in their best interests NOT to go around pissing off customers by invalidating their armies. They made the decision to not invalidate model build. Now, a model might change it's name or change it's job but no one has to say, "Well, I can't use THAT model anymore!"

Going through this thread (here and in other places I've been having this conversation) I am struck by how FEW models have been rendered unplayable since the advent of 4th Edition! My veteran gamer friends tell me this is MUCH different from the 3rd Edition (and earlier) days when models would become obsolete willy-nilly. I'm pretty sure I once read an article that Jervis wrote exactly about this phenomenon.
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Chapter-Master

Oh, they still invalidate armies. Tzeentch Daemons went from pretty much broken with the WD update, to pretty much terrible with the new codex. I know at least one Daemon player who went from winning tournaments, to struggling to win at all.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Oh, they still invalidate armies. Tzeentch Daemons went from pretty much broken with the WD update, to pretty much terrible with the new codex. I know at least one Daemon player who went from winning tournaments, to struggling to win at all.
    His army isn't as good but he can still plunk it down on the table and play, right? Really, that's the test I'm looking at. GW tries not to invalidate stuff these days like they used to do regularly in the old days...
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

First-Captain

I think I will mention playable and model wise

Broadsides for starters.
    1. New broadsides are 3x bigger on bigger bases
    2. No high yield missle pods for older broadsides

Marker drones. Unless you buy more pathfinders no way you get these also the same for the other three drones. Have to buy a whole kit just for drones.

Metal stealth suits a pain to add fusion

I don't know about flamers of Tzeentch I used them heavly since day one. I will use them now. I now have a cheap guy with strength 6 ap 4 attacks or strength 5 ap 2 master crafted attacks. Not really complaing about that.

Besides vassal never got a bunch of screamers.

I say they did a number on pink horrors.

Oh here is a good one

Tzeentch Hearld on Chariot went from a 5 wound eternal warrior, jetbike, +4 invulberable save model to a fast armour 10 chariot with th lost of gaze and bolt and the upgrade to do two shooting attacks and splitfire. Just notice I lost splitfire the *******s.

No one took the slaanech chariot and they made that one better.

Do we still no have plasma lascannon on razor backs

No tyranid drop pods

Aun'va and vespids are playable lol.

Fiends and bloodcrushers '(

Any sister of battle model

Oh deathcult. Half the deathcult is modeled with one power sword and you have option for 4 differant power weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserdean View Post
    No, there aren't any hand flamers any more.
    Blood Angels and Heresy...
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Battle-Brother

It's pushing the 3rd/4th edition cutoff, but several DE models don't fit: Wyches with shredders or blasters, the old female dracon model, reavers with shredders, the original beastmaster model. OH! The old incubi had tormentor helms, and those helms don't exist anymore. That, and the old grotesque models can only be used as wracks, but look nothing like the new wracks. Seems like there are more, but that's off the cuff. Ah, yes; Kruellah the Vile.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast