BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Had my first eldar game

Had my first eldar game with the new codex. It didn't go well at all. I was up against tau and I guess not knowing how well that new codex makes them laugh at cover saves I tried to bringing a alitoc pathfinder list with illic and you can imagine how that went ( him stealing the first turn from me didn't help) warp hunter, fire prism, crimson hunter, wraith knight with sword and Shield. Plus five wraith guard and five wraith blades. I would like some advice. I have every type of model and some double and would like some help in creating a list and info on best way to run it?

Chapter-Master

Reapers sound good to me.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth0050 View Post
    Had my first eldar game with the new codex. It didn't go well at all. I was up against tau and I guess not knowing how well that new codex makes them laugh at cover saves I tried to bringing a alitoc pathfinder list with illic and you can imagine how that went ( him stealing the first turn from me didn't help) warp hunter, fire prism, crimson hunter, wraith knight with sword and Shield. Plus five wraith guard and five wraith blades. I would like some advice. I have every type of model and some double and would like some help in creating a list and info on best way to run it?
    Let me guess - they shot you to pieces.

Here is a clue never count on cover saves because many armies do have ways to get rid of it.

Even Eldar with Swooping Hawks when they can drop their Grenades template (no cover save).

As for advice drop the Wraithknight and use the points to put more troops onto the table.

Forget Pathfinders since you can only get them by taking a certain HQ unit. Want snipers just take some Rangers.

Not knowing your complete list or the point value of the game I can't tell you what else is needed.

But consider these units:

Warp Spiders (they rock and well be one of the best Eldar units in 6th)

While I detest their weapon range a single unit of 20 Guardians with two Scatter Lasers should be considered. If you leave out the Warlock I believe that this would only be 200 points and the Scatter Lasers will provide the long range shooting ability that the Guardians lack.

Then two units of Dire Avengers mounted in Wave Serpents.

That should do it for Troops though a unit of 10 Jet Bike Guardians could be used as well.

For Fast Attack as I mentioned before Warp Spiders and a unit of 3 Vypers.

You are looking for fast units that can put out a ton of pain and these two units do it the best. The Vypers with a Scatter Laser & S. Cannon will have 21 shots 12 x str 6 & 9 x str 5. With the upgrade in BS to 4 they will be hitting on 3's and wounding on either 2's or 3's.

Then add in your Crimson Hunter but wait for you opponent to commit at one of their flyers.

For Heavy Support the Fire Prism is good but so are Warwalkers, Falcons if you are going to run with a unit of Fire Dragons but a Wave Serpent would work for them as well.

First-Captain

Pathfinders have been nerved and ignoring cover save Tau doesn't help.

Here is some advice.

Keep the wraithknight, but with no upgrades. For the points and the fact it is throwing out two strength 10 ap 1 shots at 36" range is good. It gives you great tank killing at range. Unless he is running broadsides with railguns you really have no worries. Seeker missles can be problems as well. He would have to unload two skyray's full of seeker missles to almost kill you. Take out what hurts. The three plasma blast is ok. Most experinced players space models to 1.6- 2" meaning you hit 3 guys. What worse you taking away a tank busting weapon to kill medium targets. Take starcannons if you want sunshots. Not on your knight. No upgrades

Serpents. Serpents. They can fire 7 strength 6 shots and 7 strength 7 shots all twin linked. You want to take the scatter laser so when you collapse your shielding and fire your shots would be twin linked. That's 14 twin liniked possible shots for under 150 points. I slap you for not taking it

I suggest also units of 9 bikes. This in turn gives you 3 cannons. Which in turn gives you 9 strength 6 soft rending shots. For roughly 350 points so far that's 23 strength 6/7 shots with 12 that can rend. Oh and 12 twinlinked 12" soft rending as well.

Personally I think arond 40 strength 6/7 shots is fine. For 1k points you can dish out almost 70 strength 6/7 shots. I would suggest warpspiders, but I don't see the point. 6 serpents alone can dish out 84 strength 6/7 shots. Yeah.

You look at the spider range and abilities you say why and you pick up bikes or serpents.

This should give you more fire power than you had before.

Brother-Sergeant

sorry hit my post button twice. look at the one below. my bad
    40k: Yme-loc Eldar
    Fantasy: Ogres! lots of ogres!

Brother-Sergeant

I've played a couple games with my eldar so far and i have had great results with my warp spiders and my swooping hawks. Also fire prisms rock now.
    Dire avengers in serpents are good. but i think they need support more than ever now so next game i'm going to add a spirit seer with them. runes of battle is awesome. hopefully that will work for them. i also just keep them with S-cannons.
    i've played one good game with my crimson hunter, and one bad game. so i'm not sure if he is really good or not. might want to run them in pairs in the future.
    oh and holo fields on all your tanks. worth every point. oh and i only buy exarchs for swooping hawks and fire dragons. i dont think anything else is really worth getting an exarch now. maybe dire avengers with a shimmer shield now that it works against shooting. maybe. i'll let you know later
    40k: Yme-loc Eldar
    Fantasy: Ogres! lots of ogres!