BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Garradh View Post
    A very well-rounded list, rle68. This game my Wraithguard ended up playing Guide-backed AAA!

Next evolution is "to Eldrad or not to Eldrad." I feel guilty for playing him, even if he's a counts-as Bonesinger.
    Thanks

i know the feeling i have a very well painted eldrad probably the best model i have ever painted or ever will.. and to not use him sickens me

lucky for me i have 2 of the bone singer models im using one as a sprirt seer the other farseer on foot with singing spear added

If I go with a Farseer, I think I will take the Gift of Asuryan that allows Wraithguard to act in challenges rather than risk my valuable Farseer. That frees up about 90 points, so I'm kicking around taking a small group of Howling Banshees to sit behind the phalanx as a counterattack unit. That is very tentative though, designed to offer some additional protection to my heavies when I might change my mind and go for more anti-Horde shooting like Swooping Hawks.

At this point I just want to play one of those two units to prove that the codex's "weak" units are still useful, I think. Being curmudgeonly.

PLEASE offer better suggestions for 90 points worth of killy (no fortifications!)

Could you minimise the DA squad, lose the jetbikes and then afford to pick up a 2nd scatter serpent with a 5man da squad in it?

Quote Originally Posted by eris View Post
    Could you minimise the DA squad, lose the jetbikes and then afford to pick up a 2nd scatter serpent with a 5man da squad in it?
    Not a bad idea . . . fortunately the jetbikes aren't bought yet! I'll roll it around in my head. Jetbikes have won a LOT of games for me over the last two editions running for last-turn objective grabs/contests.

True, their movement range is awesome. I guess the other alternative would be to drop to 2 lots of 9 wraithguard to get that extra serpent in. Not a massive change to teh power of each squad, but it depends how much of a completionist you are.

Dropping the Exarch in the DA squad to a regular aspect warrior, dropping the Shuricannon from the bikes, and making the Eldrad-to-farseer change gives me 130 points - enough for another Wave Serpent, even if it runs around a bit empty. Seems like a good compromise of firepower vs DA survivability with the exarch/shield. I'll take that firepower!

New List:

HQ - Farseer with Runes of Witnessing
    HQ - 2x Spiritseer

Troops - 10x Wraithguard, Wraithcannons, Wave Serpent with TL Scatter Lasers and Shuricannon
    Troops - 10x Wraithguard, Wraithcannons
    Troops - 8x Dire Avengers, Wave Serpent with TL Scatter Lasers and Shuricannon
    Troops - 3x Windrider Jetbikes

HS - 3x War Walkers with 2x Scatter Lasers
    HS - Wraithlord with Scatter Laser, Sword, Bright Lance, 2x Flamers
    HS - Wraithlord with Scatter Laser, Sword, Bright Lance, 2x Flamers

Dire Avengers usually ride around to grab and hold an objective, but I suppose they could provide boots-on-the-ground support for horde armies for extra killing power as well.
    Last edited by Garradh; 06-27-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Got a game in this weekend vs Tyranids using the list above.

Opponent's list was (iirc)
    Swarmlord w/one tyrant guard (Swarmlord got Endurance and Iron Arm for psychic powers - eek!)
    Flyrant w/two deathspitters

2 Venomthropes
    5 Ymgarl Genestealers
    3 Hive Guard
    2x10 Termagants
    2 Tervigons with Toxin Sacs and some psychic powers
    2 Trygons

The game was a rematch against my opponent from the first experiment with my Eldar army and the third time he had fought against a Wraith army. He deployed excellently - the mission was The Relic and he built a phalanx to match my own Wraith phalanx. I made two key mistakes in deployment - my phalanx was flanked by two pieces of area terrain perfect for the Ymgarls, so I tried to occupy them with my War Walkers and my Dire Avengers. Realizing (too late) that the war walkers were now in range of his Hive Guard and the DAs couldn't possibly occupy enough of the terrain to keep the Ymgarls from coming out, I withdrew them to safe(r) positions. It didn't matter - the War Walkers were still under the Hive Guard's guns and I ended up losing one with one damaged before they drew out of range. One Tervigon pooped out, and in general he advanced his growing phalanx toward my own.

In my return fire, the Wraithguard killed a Trygon, but the rest of his units were behind a wall of spawned Termagants. I risked being swamped by Termagants if I concentrated on the heavies, whereas Guided/Prescienced overwatches had a habit of making bigger gribblies disappear. Concentrating on the Termagants, I wiped out the lead units and put some wounds on one of his Tervigons.

In his turn 2 the Ymgarls appeared and assaulted my badly-placed Dire Avengers, who broke and fled off the board. The ymgarls were able to consolidate deeper into cover where they could begin rolling up the flank of my phalanx the next turn. The Flyrant also appeared and destroyed my two remaining War Walkers in close combat, then turned to threaten a Wave Serpent in an overwatching firing position. His second Tervigon pooped out as well, a blessing as his second wave of Termagants hit my line. His second Trygon also assaulted one of my Wraithguard units. With lucky dice rolling I survived the poisoned Termagant attacks but lost four to the Trygon. My other Wraithguard squad was tied down by termagants, again for no losses.

My assault phase was fortunate - my full squad squashed the bugs attacking it with some help from its supporting Wraithlord, while my second Wraithlord, helped by a Spiritseer and my Farseer, killed the Trygon before it could attack again. Unfortunately that meant half my phalanx was tied up in combat with two Termagants, leaving it dangerously open to attacks from the Swarmlord, Venomthropes, and Tervigons, as well as the flanking Ymgarls (which had been reduced to two models during my shooting, thanks second Serpent). I also grabbed the objective with my bikes, knowing full well they would die but hoping to buy time since he would not be able to grab the objective with his Tervigon and then hide behind his line of Termagants. They died gloriously, accomplishing their mission.

His turn 3 was a bloody mess of assaults as the beleagured Wraithguard phalanx and supporting Wraithlords held off the third wave of Tyranids. His Flyrant killed one of my Wave Serpents in melee, a Wraithlord was killed by his charging Swarmlord, and the understrength Wraithguard squad was attacked by the Ymgarls, reducing it by a few more models. My full-strength Wraithguard were charged by a wounded Tervigon for one loss, but they finished off the Termagants that kept them tied down.

My turn 3 was entirely dealing with his attacks. My remaining Wave Serpent shot his Flyrant for two wounds, otherwise it was Wraiths killing bugs. My surviving Wraithlord charged his Tervigon, reducing the beast to one wound. The worst part was Shadows causing three Perils attacks, one on each psyker, and even my Runes of Witnessing didn't protect my Farseer. This was key as it shut down my Spiritseers for the rest of the game - I could still cast Prescience on one unit per turn (the beleagured and understrength Wraithguard) without risking a dead Farseer, and got Guide off as well, but that was it.

Turn 4 was down to brass tacks. His Flyrant attacked my now-free large Wraithguard squad while the Swarmlord killed my remaining Wraithlord, saving his Tervigon. The Flyrant then made the mistake of charging the Wraithguard, who killed it with Guided overwatch. The weakened Wraithguard, now away from the action, killed the remaining Ymgarl 'stealers and the two Termagants still tying them up.

Both of my Wraithguard, though damaged, were now free. With the Swarmlord literally standing on top of the objective, boosted to S/T9, It Will Not Die, Eternal Warrior, and with a FNP, I knew I wasn't going to shift it. I chose instead to run my Farseer, Spiritseer and remaining two Wraithguard toward his objective while my stronger Wraithguard squad killed his Tervigon and threatened the objective. Now he had no scoring units to claim the objective, but that was stalemated by my remaining troops being unlikely to kill his Swarmlord.

At that point it was a 1-0 game. I had First Blood, both Warlords were alive, and he had no scoring units. If he went for Slay the Warlord, I could grab the objective. If he didn't and killed the closer Wraithguard unit, I could go for Linebreaker and win 2-0. Ultimately he did the latter - the remaining Hive Guard tried to gun down my small Wraith/commander squad of four models but only killed one of my two remaining Wraithguard in that squad, and the Swarmlord tore apart my large Wraithguard squad, meaning nobody would get the objective. As the game moved into Turn 6 my surviving Wave Serpent killed his surviving Hive Guard and his Swarmlord, rehealed to full health and again at S/T9, finished my large Wraithguard squad. With only six models left on the board (Swarmlord, Tyrant Guard, Farseer, Spiritseer, one Wraithguard and a Wave Serpent) I won the game 2-0 with First Blood and Linebreaker.

A post-game analysis really showed where I hamstringed myself in deployment, messing up with the War Walkers and Dire Avengers, sacrificing both early when it might not have been necessary - five Ymgarls weren't going to do a significant amount of damage to a squad of Wraithguard.

I remain convinced that Wraithcannons are the best armament for Wraithguard - the Distort rule, along with S10, trumps any other build. I play 10-man Wraithguard units because when I point their guns at something, that something disappears, especially with Guide/Prescience.

This game saw my psychic enhancement shut down by Shadow of the Warp, so it was hard to balance the loss of Eldrad compared to a regular Farseer. He received Mind War as his third power, which, coupled with Horrify, did a lot of wounds to a Trygon on Turn 1 (sadly FNP negated all but one of the eight wounds Mind War did throughout the game!) but after that was less useful and not worth casting compared to Guide/Prescience.

In hindsight I should have deployed the Dire Avengers, with the Farseer, behind the phalanx. They could have plugged the hole that appeared in the phalanx mid-game, or hung back so the Farseer could keep casting outside of the Shadow.

Outstanding game, I will try this same list again against Marines or Orks in the near future.

Librarian

would like to hear how your game went against orks or marines. wondering if you've found that you have to run your wraithguard at 10? Or if you've thought about lowering the unit sizes slightly to get additional bodies and toys?

I would love to get in some games vs Marines or Orks with the new Eldar codex. Aside from the GK/Draigoball game it's been a steady litany of practically identical Tyranid armies, which really doesn't test the list.

As for 10-man Wraithguard, I enjoy the weight of fire and survivability of the larger units. Practically guaranteeing a 6 vs monstrous creatures, getting 2-3 (guided) Overwatch hits on a charge, having the extra bodies in assault, it all adds up. MSU has never fit my playstyle well, since 3rd Ed. I've considered changing a few things around to pick up 5 WraithAxes to be a more dedicated bodyguard for my Farseer and give the phalanx a little bit more melee counterattacking power.

I have to agree, though, the list needs more games against varied opponents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast