BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Default Where to start?

So I am looking at putting an Empire army together, something that follows some background I have thought up.

The theme runs as close as possible to 16-17th century set up as possible, and no mages. The background in a nut shell is that they are a Border Princes settlement that have thrown off the yoke, believe the nobility corrupt while excepting the role of the Emperor as a force to unite the race of men, in Sigmars name.

Units I am thinking of taking are Captains, Preists, Witching Hunters. Spearmen, Halberdiers, and Handgunners. Pistoleers and Great Cannon.

Thoughts on what else would probably fit and give the army a bit of punch?

Edit: Thinking along the "New Model Army" theme.
    Last edited by Renegade; 06-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Archers/Huntsmen representing free folk from the countryside.
    Free Company representing lower class rabble (rioters?)
    Mortar (if you accept cannons, mortars should be there too)
    Outriders, the guns may be a little over the top but they could represent early carbine cavalry.
    Flagellants, even in the 16-17th century there were crazy people who thought the end of the world was coming.
    Hurricanium, Could potentially be used as a war alter type of thing with the bonuses being represented more as a morale thing than magical effects.

Just some thoughts. Good luck on assembling the army! I always like the themed ones!
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chronowraith View Post
    Archers/Huntsmen representing free folk from the countryside.
    Free Company representing lower class rabble (rioters?)
    Could work depending on the narrative.

Mortar (if you accept cannons, mortars should be there too)
    Thinking bout these, cheers for reminding me.

Outriders, the guns may be a little over the top but they could represent early carbine cavalry.
    Still not sure how to justify the tech in that part of the region.

Flagellants, even in the 16-17th century there were crazy people who thought the end of the world was coming.
    What do they bring to the table top?

Hurricanium, Could potentially be used as a war alter type of thing with the bonuses being represented more as a morale thing than magical effects.
    Hadn't thought about that, I feel a conversion coming on.

Chapter-Master

I think your fluff is good, but I'd be concerned about the lack of wizards. At lower points you will get by ok, but once you start hitting 2000 points and upwards you are going to be dominated in the magic phase. Most people will be rolling level 4's and that extra boost in power and lack of dispel scrolls means you will struggle to dispel much. When it comes to casting, you are going to find the majority of your prayers being dispelled. If the fluff and fun is your key goal then by all means press ahead, but be prepared to struggle in some games.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I think your fluff is good, but I'd be concerned about the lack of wizards. At lower points you will get by ok, but once you start hitting 2000 points and upwards you are going to be dominated in the magic phase. Most people will be rolling level 4's and that extra boost in power and lack of dispel scrolls means you will struggle to dispel much. When it comes to casting, you are going to find the majority of your prayers being dispelled. If the fluff and fun is your key goal then by all means press ahead, but be prepared to struggle in some games.
    Against the more competitive players I am going to get stomped anyway, so may as well play something I like.

Chapter-Master

Fair enough, have fun then!
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Fair enough, have fun then!
    I know I'll be facing Empire, Dwarfs, Elfs, Daemons, Bretons and Vampires. The rest I have no idea if played locally, as I haven't seen anyone use them... perhaps the odd Scaven and Night Gobbos. I know that I'll be facing people that have played these armies for a long time.

Need some hints on Flagellants, Great Swords and the likes of Luthor Huss.

What size battles am I likely to face death-stars?

How hammered am I looking at getting by not taking mages against the armies I've listed?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I know I'll be facing Empire, Dwarfs, Elfs, Daemons, Bretons and Vampires. The rest I have no idea if played locally, as I haven't seen anyone use them... perhaps the odd Scaven and Night Gobbos. I know that I'll be facing people that have played these armies for a long time.

Need some hints on Flagellants, Great Swords and the likes of Luthor Huss.

What size battles am I likely to face death-stars?

How hammered am I looking at getting by not taking mages against the armies I've listed?

Death Stars can appear at just about any point level over 1000 points. The difference is a matter of scale. 20 Chosen at 1000 points is pretty hardcore but at 2000 points wouldn't even be considered a death star.

Against Dwarves & Bretons low magic is fine. Against Empire it depends on the army. Daemons, Elves, and Vampires though will eat through you if you have no magic defense. As far as Night Gobbos and Skaven, Skaven can cause a lot of problems with no magic defense as well.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Death Stars can appear at just about any point level over 1000 points. The difference is a matter of scale. 20 Chosen at 1000 points is pretty hardcore but at 2000 points wouldn't even be considered a death star.

Against Dwarves & Bretons low magic is fine. Against Empire it depends on the army. Daemons, Elves, and Vampires though will eat through you if you have no magic defense. As far as Night Gobbos and Skaven, Skaven can cause a lot of problems with no magic defense as well.
    And the only way to get magic defence is through mages?

Chapter-Master

Effective defence, yes. Warrior Priests let you channel extra power and dispel dice so you aren't completely defenceless, but only on a roll of a six. Since you add your magic level to each casting/dispel attempt, most people are going to be +4 ahead of you before you even pick up the dice. It's also the only way to get effective anti-magic items like the ubiquitous dispel scroll. At 1000 points or less, you will be ok with just priests, but above that you will struggle.

As for flagellants, not many people use them as they are probably the weakest choice in the special section. A 12 point model with no armour save is always going to be an easy target. You need to roll them in big blocks so you still have enough left when they get to combat. I'd recommend 30+.

I love greatswords. They are better than flagellants in every regard, except being stubborn rather than unbreakable, as well as being a point cheaper. Give them the standard of discipline and keep them in range of you BSB (or better yet, put it with them) and they aren't going anywhere. I know the Empire playing public at large don't rate them that highly when put alongside cannons and demigryphs, but I never leave home without them. Luthor Huss is good value for his points (if not for money - £18). Stick him in a unit of knights or demigryphs and watch them mush stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast