BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on Dirty Tricks?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good: they create new opportunities in game

11 15.07%
  • Bad: they encourage bending the rules to suit one's end

21 28.77%
  • Middle: it's more a case-by-case basis really, some good, some bad

35 47.95%
  • Undecided/Like pushing random buttons (there's a big red one...)

6 8.22%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Opinion on Dirty Tricks

If you look on the internet for 40k articles, bounds are, you will come across some these "dirty tricks" (you may have different names for some of these). these tricks sometimes rely on questionable interpretations of some poorly written rule, while not right, they are not wrong either, as they rely on interpretation of the English language, which could go on for nearly forever. now without digressing into pointing fingers at anyone, or talking about the content of particular tricks, I am interested in what the community's opinions of "dirty tricks" are.

what kinds of opinions you ask? well, do you think that "dirty tricks" contribute positively to the 40k community?
    Do they promote unsportsmanlike behaviour on the TT, or are they useful examples for teaching people to think outside the box?
    why?
    what is your experience with these "tricks"?
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Voting for middle because I think the real issue is discussing these things with your gaming group. If you discuss it up front and everybody agrees, then it ceases being a "dirty trick" and just becomes a house rule.

I don't believe in pulling rules out of a hat that you know are not universally agreed upon. I particularly don't believe in making plans in secret that rely on your opponent agreeing with you about a rule controversy you know (or have reason to suspect) exists in the middle of the game, when you spring your "clever trap." Tactics should be a surprise to your opponent; the rules of the game should not be.

Brother-Captain

A lot of "dirty tricks" are clever ways of working within the rules. Those are fine. Ex: using the Callidus Assassin to move an enemy unit into a nice line for JotWW.

Dirty tricks that rely on a very suspect interpretation of the rules will usually earn you the stink eye.

Games should be fun. This is paramount. If you pull questionable rules interpretations out of the hat to wrong foot your opponent an augment will inevitably ensue. Wheres the fun in that?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Games should be fun. This is paramount. If you pull questionable rules interpretations out of the hat to wrong foot your opponent an augment will inevitably ensue. Wheres the fun in that?
    ditto for friendlies / fun games

unless of course the place was a tourney with RAW play then maybe it would fly - but there maybe people would already have taken it into consideration.

And again I ask the question....... When were the words Fun and Tournament decided to be mutually exclusive?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

they arent mutually exclusive - although i'd say it depends on the player - if i were to play in a tourney it would mainly be for fun so i wouldnt use any "dirty tricks".

i have played a couple of games with people who were very much "play to win" attitude - it wasnt fun for me - i took a beating repeatedly. I have never played in a tourney but i can imagine it would be fun until i get to meet someone like the guy i played before - with min / maxed lists and mathhammer done till their ears bled - if i was that guy with the "i have to win" attitude then im sure they would use similar "dirty" tricks and i would lose.

When i play my forces are normally the standard of of 2 troops and then whatever has taken my fancy, i win some i lose some but i always have fun, i havent fielded the same army twice in a long time, as it is i could field between 5 and 12 scout squads (5 x 10 man or 12 x 5 man) - just for fun to see what they can do - i think i will actually that sounds like a plan!

fun for me = everything, even losing
    at the moment im finishing off my MoTF with magnets so i can have him with any loadout, i want to get some more bikes so i can try a big bike squad and once i have done that i think ill get my sternguards / vanguard veterans done to give them some play..... and i do need two more dreadnoughts before i can try the 6 dreadnought list i imagined... this hobby is all about fun - i just wish i had more time!
    Last edited by krispy; 11-10-2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: p.s. sorry about the rambling post.

Brother-Captain

if have to ask the question that you obviously shouldn't even be doing it. Keep the game fun, espeically in tournaments. Dirty Tricks have no place any where a 'game' is being played.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

The Dark Mechanic

A huge percentage of the so called "dirty tricks" I see most assuredly rely on highly questionable interpretations of the rules. As if there weren't enough ambiguities and misprints in the 40K rule books to cause legitimate rules questions between players, now we have people conjuring highly suspect interpretations of the rules. Killer combinations using clear, generally accepted interpretations are just fine by me, that's just having a bit of fun with the possibilities presented.

However, no good can come of looking for ways to twist and bend the words outside of normal expectations, especially if you're playing with people you don't know that well. If your interpretation of the rules is so far out of the usual readings that your opponents regularly look at you like you're crazy or feel the need to question what you are trying to do, maybe you should think twice about such behavior, especially if you want people to continue to play games with you. If you have to cook up long, verbose explanations as to why your interpretation is correct even though virtually no other players have ever thought of it and then present that lengthy argument every time you try and pull your little rules trick, perhaps what you are doing is neither fair, legitimate or fun for anyone else concerned.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 11-10-2009 at 09:39 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Brother-Sergeant

When were the words Fun and Tournament decided to be mutually exclusive?
    Quoted for truth.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast