BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default How are Riptides transported?

How are Riptides transported planet to planet, and how are they landed? Do they jump from the atmosphere from the huge Tau battleships? How are they picked up? There must be something bigger then a Manta that transports a Riptide off world. Thoughts?

Brother-Captain

I thought it just sort of crawled into the Manta, or has a fold-up configuration.

It wouldn't need to be bigger than a Manta, or an Orca. It could just be that the regular dropships somehow tow a Riptide-accommodating transport capsule. I don't know that a true orbital drop would work, though. Crisis suits can only Deep Strike from within atmosphere, and a Riptide's thrust-to-mass ratio doesn't seem to be any better than a Crisis suit's without drawing on the nova reactor (and relying on a nova reactor to stop you from going splat doesn't exactly seem very safe).

They surf on top of the Manta until it's reached 300ft, then jump off and hit the jetbrakes at the last possible minute.

I figure Riptide pilots have to be a little bit completely insane.

Brother-Captain

That only works with Wraithknights from the Craftworld Gekko State.

Librarian

Modified Manta's probably could carry 2 or 3, in which case it wouldn't be to much of a stretch to see these things kicked out the back or just dropped like bombs from a bay door.

Ok, thats put my mind to rest, thank you everyone for your contributions!

ikea ? flatpack...

Lay them on their backs partially folded, and you could fit 1-2 in a modified Orca, and 4-6 in a Manta. I'd imagine it works out similar to how they carry helicopters around in transport planes.