BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    First-Captain

Default Best 6th Edition Codex: Chaos Daemons!

[URL="http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/06/40k-army-meta-1-year-into-6th-edition.html?m=1"]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/06/40k-army-meta-1-year-into-6th-edition.html?m=1[/URl]

If you read the article above it will give you an insight on what I am talking about.

Now that you read the article you can see that Chaos Daemons came in 2nd and 4th place.

This is important due to most of the players was running chaos marines and you also had more 6th edition Tau than Chaos Daemons.

Eldar like the article says is a wait and see, but Daemons which had a lower attendance was able to beat Tau and Chaos Marines in placement.

I like to mention the 4th place Daemon army did take Chaos Marines as allies. Taking the Chaos Marine allies landed him in 4th place instead of the pure Daemon 2nd place winner. With that said the Daemon player with chaos mrines as allies used the daemon's more than the chaos space marines.

This also shows Tau is not as good as Daemons. I agree with this statement. I have yet to lose with my Daemons. The hardest Daemon game I had was vs Daemons. With Tau I lost against Necrons, damn bad rolling, and Grey Knights, bad rolling and line of sight issues. However I beaten GreyKnights as well, and seen them slamed on by other Daemon players, dem vector strikes baby.

The key to daemons winning is a few things I picked up on and what I seen in strong daemon list.

1. The ability to have acess to a total of 7 differant trees to pull from.
    Princes
    -telepathy
    -telekenesis
    -biomancy

Tzeentch
    - Diviation
    - Tzeentch

Slaanech
    - Telepathy
    - Slaanech

Nurgle
    -biomancy
    - Nurgle

Fateweaver
    - biomancy
    - pyromancy
    - telepathy
    - diviation
    - tzeentch

That is 8 differant powers to pull from. They can cast all 5 powers from the book and 3 powers from the daemon book.

Depending how you run your list and what powers you pull. Your army can have crazy buffs.

A good example my hounds had Flame Shield, Prescience, Endurance, and + 2 to invulnerable saves. That mean ranged attacks they had a + 2 invulnerable save, feel no pain, it will not die, 2d6 strength 4 hammer of wrath attacks, + 3 invulnerable in combat, and re rolling to hit.

The army can debuff, buff, etc. Only eldar comes close, but limited to 4-5 power trees.

2. They have 2 good artifacts. One allows for +2 to invulnerable saves, and another to spawn more troops. The latter is very important with objectives. You land a portal glyph near an objective which allows you the ability to leave said objective. This is big if you are going 5-6 flying MC's and lacking troops.

3. On top of buffs and debuffs you have rewards that buff you even more so.
    Greater Rewards
    - re roll invulnerable saves
    - +1 wound and it will not die
    - +4 feel no pain
    - +3 save, helps with Lord of Change

Exaulted
    - get wounds back by wounding models
    - come back to life and re enter via ds with 1 wound

3. Not only you are getting a ton of buffs you are getting masive attacks
    Bloodthirtser can get rage and rampage, d3 attacks with artifact weapn, +1 attack with two weapons = 15 attacks on the charge or 12 smash attacks.

Not to mention things like ranged strength 8 lance weapons

4. Did I mention vector strikes out the butt. This army dishes out the most vector strikes possible, with Chaos Marines tying really close. Vector striking meaning really hard to hit flying MC's which are buffed by atleast psycic and rewards. Not mentioning artifacts or warp storm table.

5. The table which most people say it hurts daemons as much as anyone else. I really fail to see that
    Here is why.

-2. This one I rolled once and it managed to put two wounds on a prince. It's not as bad as you think especailly if you have heralds in your units. It does hurt furies. With Fateweave it never happens. Still it is not that bad. Not as bad as a doom dropping on you.

-3. This is interesting. It hurts both players. If they have no Chaos Daemons than it hurts you. This one sucks hare to roll. It can possibly kill a bloodthirster. Another reason I run Fateweaver. I think this is the worst roll you can roll.

-4 I got this a couple of times and it depends on timing. If I am beating you silly in combat it doesn't matter. Princes and thirster have a 3+ save so it hurts the little. Tome helps which gives you a +4 invulnerable. I have yet to see this be that hurtful. If it happens in turn 1 it would be bad. Late game hwever it does not really hurt you too much.

-5-9 it depends on what you play. If you playing a mix force. It doesn't really hurt you at all. It hurts heavy mono list. Even so if for example you run mon Nurgle 6-9 does nothing to you. If you roll a 5 it can hurt you which in that case you should take instruments. Which means 5-9 really hurts the opponent. Guard suffers hard from this table due to having so many units. The more units, the more free kills.

I want to point out I played a guard player who said the storm didn't really do much. I than said let's tally up all that it did. It killed 2 lascannons and roughly 20 guardsmen. That's units I killed for free and the table did nothing to me. That means it earned 300 points good job. Again it is usually helpful vs many unit armies

7- does nothing

10- awesomeness. Your army now seems godlike.

- 11 just got rid of your psyker for free.. I would probably get a tzeentch herald for the prescience.

-12 this I never rolled yet. I rolled 11 before no psykers . That being said I have gooten this for exalted power for my thrister. I was able to put 20 bloddletters on the table which made a close game a win for me. I always go for the exaulted ability which is stupid awesome.

With all the above it's really hard to beat daemons. Oh and this.

6. I found this one out the other day. A lot of your stuff is mastery 2-3 which means deny mostly on a 4+. Hounds deny on a 4+ as well. This is rather important to point out if somone tries to enfeeble you down.

7. You have rad greandes that lowers strength. Enfeeble is awesome.

8. Soulgrinder is an awesome unit which and also down flyers. So far mine have taken out 2 stormraves, the smaller marine plane, and two sycthes. It kills lots of troop via range and take down pesky fighters.

Brother-Sergeant

Are you running with Khorne and Tzeench or are you running with all the chaos gods? That table seems so sketchy. The army seems like a crap shoot in general. I play chaos with daemon allies but would like to go with a Khorne themed all daemon army. The fact that Tzeench can give feel no pain to units it causes wounds to makes me nervous. Does the synergy between units of different chaos gods work well? Are the shooting attacks from the horrors worth the risk of feel no pain? I like the 4 heralds for 1 HQ choice. Brings alot of burly to otherwise meh troop choices. Bloodletters with rage and counter-attack? Love it. I also like that you can use instruments to bring in CSM units with the daemon rule(Obliterators, Heldrakes etc). So I know the last codex had all this weird stuff about deployment but it seems like the new codex follows the standard rules for deployment. Is that accurate? Is there any hope against the grey knights?

First-Captain

It's hard to judge daemons one unit at a time when you can add heralds. I will briefly go over troop unitss for you.

-pink horrors:

They have their pros and cons. Ideally you want a squad of 16 to get 4d6 shooting attacks. They work really well with Tzeentch Heralds which the unit can than fire 8d6 strength 6 attacks. It has worked really well for me and I don't see them as a bad unit. This here is enough fire power to do serious damage to most units. Throw in prescience and it's on.

With that being said the unit has cons. 10 or less horrors seem to not be really worth it. The damage they do is not enough and they can start benefiting your opponent. Very easy to kill even with re rollin on 1s. Also deny the witch is bothersome.

Yes you can give feel no pain, but it is not as easy as people make it sound. It's at the end of the shooting phase and than the target has to make a toughness test. I had the toughness test help wipe out the units remaining models. The problem I see is shooting at units like nurgle marines, one game I got them to +3 feel no pain, but I still wiped the unit in shooting. This means you have to focus your fire to try to wipe a unit which isn't hard to do with the amount of shooting you dishing out. If you do not wipe them they can possibly lose d3 more units, or get feel no pain. Toughness 5 or higher becomes rishy.

I don't take them unless I have heralds with them. I use them with portaglph deepending on the enemy I am facing. 2d6 strength 5 ap 4 shots are very useful against mant t3 models.

That being said as troops tzeentch is ok, if a herald is taken they become rather good.

Slaanech:

Personally this girls/guys are what I think are the best. They can deal with almost any unit and are able to get across the board rather fast. With hounds this unit works really well. The no grenades is a draw back.

With herald this unit is awesome. Re roll hits and can pick out character's to challenge. Mt favorite build is the 7 strength 5 ap 2 atacks that re roll to hit.

I usually may one combat herald and one psycnic utility one.

Khorne is on the same lines as slaanech. The problem is ap 3 weapons. However your hearld can be strength 6 on the charge with ap2 weapons, also your upgrade character can take an ap 2 weapon as well and with herald this squad can kill terminators quite easily.

Nurgle is like Tzeentch they ok unless they have a herald. Plaguebearers die to anything that strips cover or in combat unless you have feel no pain and the other unit is enfeebled.

I typically run with all the gods or just 3. I favor slaanech as troops, khorne hounds as fast attack, skullkannons, nurgle grinders, and usually tzeentch or khore greater deamons and a tzeentch prince.

The units work well together. Going mono is still good, but going divided helps with gaps.

Nurgle make good deep striking objective takers late game.
    Tzeentch give anti air shooting and ground shooting
    Slaanech combat freaks
    Khorne combat freaks, deny cover range, very good ranged shooting

Where the different gods really help is via buffing
    Slaanech brings invisiblity, halluncinate, -5 I and no over watch
    Nurgle enfeebles and give out endurance
    Tzeetnch gives out priscience

The multiple buffing makes your good units into godlike units. I like princes due to the diversity in powers they bring to the table. Also liking Fateweaver for the same reason. I usually buff twice with the weaver and have him fire an anti air shot or two anti tank shots.

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks for the input

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by droozy View Post
    Thanks for the input
    No problem.

Did I mention the troops get upgrade characters that can take ap 2 weapons. Same as heralds. It makes a huge differance in combat and makes daemonettes deadly.

you also forgot each chaos god gives its unit's a bonus take a slaanesh daemon prince and it gets +3" on run and rending or nurgle for shrouded

Chapter-Master

The army seems like a crap shoot in general.
    That's because daemons are the major exception to the general rule that 6th edition is heavily biased towards shooting.

Is there any hope against the grey knights?
    It depends a lot on the GK army. Certain builds the GKs will dominate you no matter what you do, but GKs aren't a top tier army so I wouldn't be too concerned.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    That's because daemons are the major exception to the general rule that 6th edition is heavily biased towards shooting.

It depends a lot on the GK army. Certain builds the GKs will dominate you no matter what you do, but GKs aren't a top tier army so I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Oddly Swarming them to death works great hehehehehe (They can't keep up with cheap troops like Demonettes rending them to death) Or simply smash them with soulgrinders from afar!
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Oddly Swarming them to death works great hehehehehe (They can't keep up with cheap troops like Demonettes rending them to death) Or simply smash them with soulgrinders from afar!
    I agree. Although Grey Knights is one of those armies I don't like facing. In 5th they wasn't a problem. Lossing turn one deep strike, eternal warrior, and flamer nerf have made it harder to deal with them. Vector Strikes work really well.

In general Paladins, Purifiers, and Dreadknights are the most annoying. Also the dumb grenades. It reminds me of nids vs orcs before 5th nid codex, just not soo one sided.

If you are max buffing squads and throwing them at the knights you should do well. No buffs mean they would do well against you. Damonettes with 2 plus invulnerable saves and invisibility have worked rather well for me against Grey Knights, even Paladins.

I fear facing multiple Paladins and Dreadknights. Daemonettes eat dreadknights, also strength 6 khorne heralds if you have tso in a squad.