BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Painting Orange. Tips and advice?

Im just starting my Eldar Ghost Warrior army. Almost all Wraith constructs and im going for Orange armour with White sections (Head/Weapon Barrels etc)

As it stands theyre based White and then an undercoat of Wild Rider Red. I had washed it with Feugan Orange but it may not be a dark enough shade as it doesnt seem to add much. The GW guy also suggested I highlight with Fire Warrior Orange though that seems more a Peach colour.

The thing is its still very Dark. Its much more red than Orange and I want a deep, strong Orange. Not a pale red or a washy peach.

Take into account im semi limited to citadel as I dont visit many non GW hobby shops and I dont have an airbrush.

So any help??
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 06-11-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Chapter-Master

I would have put Orange straight onto the White. Probably Fire Dragon Bright. Give it a heavy red wash, then repaint all panels, leaving the red in the grooves. The edge highlight in a yellow?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Iron Father

Personally I wouldn't have gone with red as your base colour, white or light grey would have been better. Then you could thin your paints and do several thin coats of orange, building up the colour until you get a solid orange. You could then have shaded the darker areas using very thinned red, brown or even purple paint. The GW washes are ideal for this. If you haven't gone too far into your army I suggests taking a spare model of anything and trying this out. In the long run it will save you time.
    Maybe not what you were hopeing for but I think you should give it at least a go on a spare model. Or if you want speed and don't have access to an airbrush as you say, have a look online for
    Army Painters coloured primers. I'm sure they do an orange and a matching paint. Could be an option.

*edit* no orange primer from AP . So your either stuck by hand or you could invest in a cheap single action airbrush and canned air. Buy minitaire orange paint and spray it on as your base. All easy to find on eBay and will save you hours of effort. Either way forget the red base coat your doing. It's not helping you
    Last edited by Deadlift; 06-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Veteran-Sergeant

My painting skills are no where near as good as Deadlift, upon seeing his Eldar.... but I would agree with them that the red undercoat isn't helping. I understand your thinking in it to get a nice deep colour but it might look at bit dark as you said.

A white base coat is a start and building up the layers. If you've only got access to GW then you could try mixing BA (blood angels) red with orange and try the ratios and build that up with thin coats and then dry brush orange on top. I agree with the others that a differnet colour for the darker areas with another colour. If you have some spare models then try and post the pics up here as most people will be happy to help
    Trying to build a tau army
    How long will this take

By nature, an orange wash on a red base won't give you an orange base. If you primed orange and washed red, you would get a redder orange, but the red pigment is going to overpower the orange wash when you do it the other way around. What you could do is a heavy drybrush of troll slayer orange over your red base, and then wash it with orange to even it all out, unless the final look of drybrushing isn't what you want to go with. Then you could highlight with fire dragon bright, or mix a little yellow or white, or ushabti bone, into the troll slayer for a highlight color.

Librarian

what i did on my dragons was this......

white spray undercoat then...
    a touch up undercoat of ulthuan grey and white mixed 3:1 and thinned with KLEAR/FUTURE floor polish (use lhamian medium if you cant get any other thinning medium).
    then i watered down firedragon bright with KLEAR and washed the model twice (leave to dry in between). really like a wash more than a paint, plenty KLEAR and water.
    then a red wash (is it mephiston or baal now?) mixed with Vallejo matte varnish or army painter matt varnish, i have both..... either works.
    i then highlighted with firedragon and then FDB mixed with bone (i dont know what GW bone is now i used army painter, but any ivory will work).

this was a snapshot after 2 coats of FDB on armour, one coat on the head and red wash on armour... no highlights yet
    [url]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/579514_467345846679466_1331896324_n.jpg[/url]

if you cant get KLEAR/FUTURE any thinning medium will do, as long as its acrylic based... a note to UK people KLEAR is now changed and mixed with another product... the white stuff is not the same as the see through stuff..... you want the water like one
    Last edited by Cpt Codpiece; 06-11-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typos

Brother-Captain

Orange is my main color for my Blood Angels, and the best success I have had has been using a brown base coat (Leather Brown Army Painter primer now) and over that then do the plates in the main GW orange (havn't had to change to the new one yet because I've stocked up on Solar M Orange) Highlights are then using Sunburst yellow. Comes out real nice.

John M>